Could damp basement cause fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sherry, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Sherry

    Sherry New Member


    When I lived with my daughter 2 years ago I slept in her redone basement for 4 years. It was very damp and I would wake up every morning feeling like I was damp all through my body. After that I started getting fibromyalgia symptoms and had them ever since. In anyone's opinion could sleeping in dampness cause fibromyalgia?

    Sherry
  2. schnoodle

    schnoodle New Member

    Well, a damp basement could mean mold. That is why I am sick. Did you have a lot of allergy type symptoms and fatigue when you started staying there. Molds have toxins which can break down the immune system and cause fibro and other immune problems.
  3. tandy

    tandy New Member

    Hi sherry!! Molds are so bad for us to inhale/breathe in!!! and they do or can cause allergic reactions and immune problems!! I can't even go into my basement without holding a clean cloth over my nose and mouth!!! its so musty and damp smelling!!! I hate it!!! I can't breathe down there~
    :)
  4. zggygirl

    zggygirl New Member

    Hi,
    I think there are mold test kits you can put in the basement to see what types of molds are there.
    I know I have mold in my basement. But how to get rid of it? I'm not moving. I just had this house built 2 years ago and it is my security blanket. If I sold it now I would lose too much money due to overcosts in building.
    Anyway I think that real estate agents are starting to know about this problem and how to have it fixed.
    I happened to walk into an real estate meeting and that was the topic-toxic mold.
    It might be one place to call for info. I just haven't gotten around to it yet...sigh :p
    Ziggy
  5. Dara

    Dara New Member

    exposure to mold can cause or exaberate Fibromyalgia. In my case I was working in an office that was full of mold. I had Fibromyalgia prior to that, but after being in the environment every work day the Fibromyalgia got so bad I was too sick to work.

    There is a lot of information on mold exposure. Even homeowner's insurance companies are now excluding mold problems from their policies due to how toxic it is. My brother sales real estate and he told me that they are constantly being updated on the affects of toxic mold in homes.

    Have you gone to an allergist to see if you are allergic to mold? I went to one, after I was already exposed, and found I was allergic to several different types of molds & yeasts. All of which were found in our work place.

    If you look up Mold under the search button you will find where there have been several posts on the subject.

    Dara