Could FM and Myofacial Pain Syndrome be the same thing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Sep 11, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Hi
    My Rhuemy told me I had MPS but wrote FM as my diagnosis. Now I am confused. Are they the same and if not what are the differences? What does Myofacial mean. I have chronic pain, poor sleep, and forgetfullness as my major symptoms. Can anyone help??
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Hi
    My Rhuemy told me I had MPS but wrote FM as my diagnosis. Now I am confused. Are they the same and if not what are the differences? What does Myofacial mean. I have chronic pain, poor sleep, and forgetfullness as my major symptoms. Can anyone help??
  3. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

FM is soft tissue disease.

MPS is a neuromuscular disease. The "Fascia' is the thin coating over the muscle, like when you cut raw chicken. it hardens and makes it difficult to move. The muscles become hard and fell bumpy - when you press on one area the pain is reffered to another.

get Devin Starlanyl's book - can't remember name, all my stuff is packed - there's a website too. Anyone?
  4. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Ok, go to: www.sover.net/~devstar

happy reading!
  5. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

The info is great. It's a hugh comfort to know you all are out there helping

Take care
  6. Ponygirl

Ponygirl New Member

It never ceases to amaze me what I find here. Same for me, FMS with the Myofasial in my ribs. My OLD ruemy never explained ANYTHING to me. My new one really hasnt either. But now, I cant wait to get these books. Thank you all my friends. We are all in this together, Bless you all.
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

that these are two separate issues, but usually go hand in hand. I have both, I also have the book "Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain" by Devin Starlanyl, it is very very good.

Dara
  8. toniad

toniad New Member

Good questions Marcia!
    I'm getting my fms books out to read again!
    Well wishes,
    Tonia D.
  9. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Hi, sorry you too have these, Syndromes, I too have the MPS/FMS. I was dx with the MPS first by my Orhtopedic Dr. then he sent me to the Rhuemy Doc. because he was suppecting that I also had the FMS and wanted to be sure and had me get the 2nd opinion.

They have similiar symptoms, but then MPS has a few more to contend with, and that makes it rough. I think that when my Pain level is higher, that's when I sleep less, if I can controll the Pain, I do sleep better.

I use Soma and Vicodin for the Pain, also Moist heat, and then I use a Massager on the muscles. WIth the FMS it makes everything Hurt more. So it is important to try to get the Trigger's calmed down, they feed on each other really.

I have always called it the Merry-go-round of Pain, up and down, up and down,.

The books that have been reccomended to you are Great Books, I have about worn my out, lol.

Hope you find the relief you are deserving of and Welcome aboard, hope we can be of help.

Sincerely,
    kredca4

10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Toni, I need to go back over Devin's books too, I was so into the Fibro part of what she said, that I skipped over most of the Myofascial part!

Now I am wondering if I have both and did not realize it. No thanks to the doctors, we are lucky if they diagnose us at all.

Thanks for all the imput around here. That old saying is so true; 'two heads are better then one'. To think of all the 'heads' we have on this board, I do believe one of these days one of us are going to come up with the 'why' and then the 'cure' of all of this mess we live with.

Thanks for your question Maria, and all the imput you ladies shared.

Shalom, Shirl