Could FMS and CFS be an autoimmune disorder

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spinworks, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Spinworks

Spinworks New Member

Does anyone have any research info regarding whether all of these strange 'syndromes' could actually be autoimmune disorders? I remember that years ago - I did see info on the net about a study undertaken by Tulane University in New Orleans. However, it disappeared several weeks after I saw it. i called Tulane and asked why this study had disappeared from their site and was told by some lady that she didn't know. The study was taken of people DX with FMS, and I think about 78% of those tested had the antibody that only women who had gotten sick from their silicon breasts implants had in their blood. Does anyone else know anything about this study, or about any others done on people with FMS/CFS? Just curious because I have antibodies I shouldn't have - for Sjogren's Syndrome.

Doris
  2. Spinworks

Spinworks New Member

bump up list
  3. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

but bumping for you
  4. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

it had something to do with them finding anti-something antibodies in the blood of FM patients. (Anti-polymer maybe?)

Darn. Wish I could recall.

They did say they were working on a follow-up study with the possibility of a diagnostic test in the future. But I haven't heard anything about it after that initial article.

Best wishes.

Janelle
  5. NancyMystic

NancyMystic New Member

Anti-polymer antibodies were discovered by researchers at Tulane University Medical Center, and the APA (Anti-Polymer Antibody)Reactivity Assay was developed in 1999.

A company called Autoimmune Technologies has licensed the APA(Anti-Polymer Antibody) Assay from Tulane. The kit has been developed by another company called Cortenix and was launched for marketing to medical professionals in 2004.

This research is described in an article entitled "Anti-Polymer Antibody Reactivity in a Subset of Patients with Fibromyalgia Correlates with Severity," which appears in the February 1999 issue of The Journal of Rheumatology.

"Our results show that there is a unique immunological response in many fibromyalgia patients," said Russell B. Wilson, Ph.D., president of Autoimmune Technologies and lead investigator of the published study. "We hope that these findings will lead to a better understanding of the illness and to the development of treatments for these patients."

There has never been a laboratory test to help identify fibromyalgia.

It is possible, Dr. Wilson pointed out, that anti-polymer antibodies are associated with one of the several different causes of fibromyalgia, perhaps the cause that tends to produce the most severe symptoms. The published data indicate that this may be the case, although more research will be needed.

In addition to serving as a marker for fibromyalgia, he noted, it is also possible that these antibodies are directly involved in initiating or promoting fibromyalgia.

6. lightnerbride

lightnerbride New Member

I believe that FM & CFS are and so do many doctors I've seen and many things I've read lump FM & CFS as autoimmune diseases.
    A
  7. Spinworks

Spinworks New Member

Polymer = A molecule made up of a bunch of differenct individual amino acids hooked together in a row. A polymer has nothing to do with plastic! An antibody molecule is a special kind of Protein (amino acids strung together) made by B-lymphocytes. Each B-cell produces antibiotic molecules which are different from the antibiotic molecules produced by every other B-cell. POLY means many. Many amino acids in a chain is a Polymer Molecule.

Doris
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

When I was diagnosed, my surgeon told me that my CFIDS was an autoimmune disease. He came to this concluion after a nuclear scan and biopsy of infected material in my gums. He felt that my DD was triggered by a bone marrow infection, which was, in turn, caused by bacteria left in my gums during root canals. At that time I didn't have Fibro, so I don't know about that.

Hope this helps,
    Terry
  9. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I'm trying to understand about the polymers and anti-polymer antibodies. I really appreciate your definitions.

so if the polymers are long chains of proteins, then the anti-polymer antibodies are there trying to break up these chains of proteins?

Is that right?

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  10. Spinworks

Spinworks New Member

Our bodies make antibodies (B-Cells do) for any foreign antigens (proteins) entering our bodies. These antibodies are supposed to fit the antigen with a lock & key manner. These antibodies are ONLY supposed to hook up with the particular antigen that instigated their production. However, in auto-immune disorders, these antibodies begin attacking our own proteins. I wish I knew why. Maybe the antibody wasn't produced correctly by the B-Cell or it just goes whacky and begins to attack things in our body that it should not be attacking. I've read that Leaky Gut can cause the body to make strange antibodies to the large protein molecules that leak from gut into our blood - but these antibodies then make us allergic to many foods. I don't understand how science figured out which antibodies our bodies make are the bad ones. Such as, I have the two auto-immune antibodies for Sjogren's. I don't understand how science knows this. I don't understand why these antibodies attack my salivary glands and tear ducts. I don't know what made my body produce these antibodies in the first place. Anyone know?

Doris