Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Oct 31, 2010.
a herxing reaction?
My understanding is that only antibiotics can cause a true herxing reaction and it is usually found only in the first 24 hours when treating lyme disease and syphillis.
That is not accurate, TigerLilea.
Herxing occurs the WORST at the onset of treatment for many different infections, particularly bacterial infections that are more severe and systemic such as Lyme and syphillis. Both prescription antibiotics and herbs can cause this (if the herb and dose are strong enough to be effective, they are strong enough to initiate a herx), and it can last for a long time, depending on how severe/systemic the infection.
I don't know much about grapeseed, but I take grapeFRUIT seed extract, which can and does cause a herxing reaction... So does oregano oil, olive leaf extract, any number of things, really.
Anything that is killing or disabling a lot of the pathogen at once, can cause a herxing reaction.
Hi Karyn - I never bought into vitamins and supplements causing someone to herx. In fact, I question the whole notion of CFS and herxing. If we were as toxic as some people seem to believe, we would be dead. The body is quite capable of detoxing by itself unless your kidneys or liver aren't functioning.
If a vitamin pill can cause herxing, then wouldn't one expect to herx eating the equivalant vitamin in food form?? One person on another group claimed to herx eating blueberries and could feel their blood running through their veins.
My understanding of herxing as relating to lyme is that it is an inflammatory response to the sudden die-off of bacteria and that it usually only lasts approximately 24 hours. Something that last for days or weeks could quite well be a reaction to the antibiotic.
Okay, but I'm not talking about CFS and herxing, or being full of toxins all the time, etc. I am also not claiming vitamins or anything else causes herxing--if it does, I have no idea, but I've never experienced it. I'm well aware people claim outrageous things. I'm talking about certain chronic, severe infections and what happens when the bugs die quickly, in large amounts.
Herxing won't happen for most easily-treated infections, and if it does, yes, it's very short-lived.
If someone DOESN'T have a chronic infection and is experiencing die-off symptoms, it's probably the supplement... Unless they take multiple different supplements and get the same effect, which would suggest it's something within the body and not the medicine.
But if they do have one--Lyme or bartonella, for example--anything that is successfully killing those bacteria, prescription or strong herb, can create a herx that can last for months, depending on how advanced the infection and how long treatment is needed.
So it's up to quanked to determine the likelihood of this being a supplement overdose or an infection of some type--hopefully it's nothing that lasts long, regardless.
Learn more about Grape Seed Extract and other natural herbal remedies. Add this to your favorites for quick reference.
This is a strictly informational site. Click on Older Posts or search to see individual herbs.
Separate names with a comma.