Could I have a yeast infection on my toes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UPK5, Apr 8, 2006.

1. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi fibro friends,

I wonder if I could have a yeast infection on my toes. I have little red dots in between two toes. It started about 6 weeks ago, when I was taking Topamax to help my extremely painful headaches/migraines. I have stopped taking the Topamax, cause it only made the headaches worse.

I had asked the neurologist about the rash between the toes but he said, if I didn't get it all over my body, not to worry about it. It is between my toes and very very itchy. It is now between other toes, too, even though I don't take the Topamax anymore.

I go to an allergist, and he looked at it. At first, he did nothing. When I saw him a month later, I told him my toes were still itchy. He looked at it again, and gave me Lotrisone. I have been washing my feet and putting on the ointment. The itch is still driving me nuts.

I tried to do a google search on toe itches. I read lots of articles, but did not get a clear explanation about my own condition.

As I was reading other posts tonight about yeast infections, it dawned upon me, maybe that is what is lingering between my toes, too!

Anyone else, ever have this problem? If so, what have you done to get rid of it?

Thanking you in advance for your input.

Cindy
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

This is just a 'thought', but have you tried to soak your feet in an Epson Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) and peroxide bath? Its great for just about everything and sure can't hurt.

It might give you some relief from the itching.

I use about 2 gallons of warm water with half a 32oz bottle of peroxide and a half cup of Epson Salts. I soak for about half an hour. It just might help you.

Also, some pure Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg's brand is about the best to me) applied right on the toes, then a pair of white socks over night. It will help heal the rash.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Shirl,

I bought a HUGE bag of Epsom Salts at Costco, cause I see many people recommend using it on this website. I do soak with it in the bathtub, for my whole body, not just my feet. I haven't tried hydrogen peroxide with it. I've put in baking soda in the tub too. I don't measure, I just sprinkle and shake it out.

You use a whole bottle of peroxide? Isn't that too much?

Do you get red itchy dots on your toes too? Do you think is a version of yeast, too?

How are you doing since Hurricane Katrina? Are you back on your FEET (with the help of your soaking) again?

I hope you are doing OK.

Shalom,
    Cindy
  4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I had a problem with some sort of thrush/candida or something on a couple of my toes, near the nails.

I started putting a few drops of tea tree oil on the spots each night and they cleared up after about two weeks and have not come back. I put the oil in a dropper and that made it easier to use.
  5. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Good Morning Butterfly8,

Where did you get the tea tree oil? Does it come in different strengths? What else do you use it for? I don't have any tea tree oil in my house. I am curious to find out more about it.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cindy
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I had a rash that sounds similar to this under my arms. The doctor told me to get Lotrisone to put on the rash. Like you, the rash didn't budge. Another doctor told me to use OTC yeast infection cream. I did that and it cleared right up.

I also had this weird, itchy rash on the corners of my mouth that I didn't realize was related. My dentist told me it was from yeast and also recommended I do this, and it also cleared right up. I just used that extra tube of cream that they give you for symptoms I had left over.

Hope that helps,

Deena
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

aloe vera gel, plain yogurt (this would give instant itch relief),or an antibiotic cream or gel would clear this up. I'm sure tea tree would work great too, but I'm sensitive to it, so it's not in my repetoire.

I always have a tube of whatever cheapo brand of antiobiotic gel handy. It's perfect for summer and bug bites. Clears them up faster than calamine, no odour, instant itch relief, and no crazy pink blotches on my legs, where I'm most prone to bites.

Jeanne
  8. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

My daughter tends to get yeast-y diaper rash when she's teething. I use the 1% clotrimazole anti-fungal foot cream (got the tip from the pediatrician) - the generic brand and it clears it up right away. She gets the same red dots except on the bum and vaginal area.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2006]
  9. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

The cream I have been using, is the generic form of Lotrisone. It is called, clotrimazole and betamethasone diproprionate cream USP.

The rash has been better with this cream, than it was without it, but I still have the itchy dots. I have been using the cream for almost 2 weeks.

Soaking in the bath, washing my feet with soap and a washcloth, helps temporarily also.

I didn't know they sold OTC yeast infection cream.

It is so taxing to deal with new FMS problem areas all the time. I just wish I could get a break from this STUFF and be somewhat "normal" again!

I am so HAPPY to be able to come to this message board and get help from so many other people who are dealing with some of the same issues!

Thank YOU all!

Cindy
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I used to get those itchies between the toes all the time I don't know why I would scratch them till they crsacked and vled. My mom used to say they were actually chilblaines. I think it was probably a little fungal thing.

She used to put pure calamine lotion on them and they would clear up. You could try that fingal shampoo Selsun Blue on them too. I heard it can also be a shortage of zinc or selenium.

Love Anne C
  11. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Anne,

When I was a kid, I had eczema. I used to scratch my skin until it bled. It was nasty. The eczema would appear on my neck, the creases opposite my elbows and knees. Thank goodness I don't seem to get that any more. I don't ever remember getting itchy between my toes.

What are chilblaines? I never heard of that either.

Thanks for your recommendations.

I think (positive thinking) since I asked about my itchy toes and have been getting wonderful feedback, they are a tad less itchy.

It is mostly on my right foot. Luckily, I am right handed, not right footed, so I don't need to write with those itchy toes!

Have a lovely afternoon.

Cindy
  12. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

In case you want to try my suggestion: The OTC yeast infection cream brands that I can think of off hand are Gynelotrimin (i think the wrong spelling) and Monistat. They come in generics too. Look near the tampons and pads.
    I tried everything for the similar skin rash and this is the only thing that worked for me. (The itching drove me craaaaazy!!)

Have a good night :)

Deena
  13. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

that we should dry our feet thoroughly, perhaps with a different towel that is kept for the sole purpose (sorry bad pun!!!) of our feet. Afterwards use an ear bud and surgical spirits and clean in between each toe. That should kill off any lurking pathogens.
  14. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Julianna,

I read somewhere that it is important to keep your feet dry too. I liked your double pun!

What is an ear bud? Is that like a q-tip, cotton swab? What are surgical spirits?

Thanks for your tips! Oops, another possible pun.

Best wishes,
    Cindy
  15. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I usually buy it in normal food chain stores like Woolworths or Coles (Australia) but it is also available in chemists and health shops.
    I usually buy the 100ml bottle and add my own dropper. It says 15% but there are different strengths. It is also called melaleuca oil. (mel-ah-loo-car)

I use it frequently, but sparingly. If my gums start bleeding when I clean my teeth, I rub my dental floss over the edge of the bottle before using it. Tastes foul - but stops the bleeding from a slight patch of gingivitis (?) If I get a mosquito bite I rub a bit on and it stops the itch. I also put a drop of two in with the clothes washing if I think the clothes need a bit of disinfectant.

The bottle says that it can be used as a mild antiseptic for: cuts, abrasions, wounds, infections, insect bits and stings , pimples and boils. It can also be used in a vaporizer for relief of nasal and chest congestion and added to water for use as a disinfectant.

I think its great.
  16. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

Sorry, I keep forgetting that we, on a different continent, use different expressions for things - yes, I think that an ear bud to you is a q-tip - a short little plastic bar with cotton wool on each end, that you use, for example, to clean ear wax out of your ear, which we shouldn't - we shouldn't use anything smaller than our elbow LOL.

We use surgical spirits to clean our ear lobes, and earring shafts, if we have pierced ears, to prevent infection. You can ask your pharmacist for the equivalent in your country.

I hope you get your spotty toes sorted out soon :)
  17. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Ear buds and tea tree oils...It always great to learn something new!

Julianna, I love learning new terms for different items. Here in America, depending on where you live, we too call different items by different names.

I think "ear bud" is a cool name for Q-tip. I took a guess at what it might be and I am glad I was correct. Ear bud, makes more sense than Q-tip. There isn't a Q at the tip of the cotton swab.

It is a shame that so many people throughout the world, suffer with fibromyalgia. However, it is great that we have the opportunity to share our ideas of healing and of course our frustrations of hurting, with just a few keystrokes.

Now, if I just had the strength to go to a store and find some of these suggestions. I have ear buds or q-tips at home. We clean our pierced ears and other infected areas with rubbing alcohol. I wonder if that is the same item as your "surgical spirits". If so, that too, is something we keep in our medicine cabinet.

Thanks again for your ideas, and the translations to go with them.

Cindy