Could I have adrenal fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nightngale, Jan 15, 2007.

1. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I just took a quiz on this and the sx match closly to chronic fatigue and fibro, which I have been dx with. As well as unrelenting anxiety about my personal life and family situation. Could I have all three? What kind of Doctor would treat that? I am going to a new rheumy next month and John Hopkins Neurology for am tremors and migraines.....yea for small miracle. But my primary didn't even know what adrenal fatigue was! I am also getting tested for dry eye and Sjogrens, I am covering all bases. I love my doc, but she did make a hurtful commment...that I seem overly concerned with my health! Well duh...yea my whole life ended as I knew it what am I supposed to feel? I had a whole file folder of notes and questions at my physical. At least I'm getting somewhere. Please give your input on this!
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Adrenal fatigue is a component of CFS that most of us have to some extent.

See my thread on "Adrenal Support." There are others on adrenal glandulars and DHEA floating about at present.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You very well could have adrenal fatigue, your cortisol levels could be high, there are lots of possibilities.

If I were you, I would look for a good naturopath. They can order an Adrenal Sress Index test, which will measure your cortisol levels and see if your adrenal glands need support. They should also look at your diet, and your supplements, and try to go the natural route as much as possible.

In my experience, most MD's will just want to give you an antidepressant or anti-anxiety drugs. Most don't know what to do about CFIDS or FM.

You really have to educate yourself. A good start is Jacob Teitelbaum's book, From Fatigued to Fantastic.

Good luck --

Mary
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

It seems your doctor would rather imply that you're stupid instead of admitting she doesn't know something. She will only be a waste of money from here on out. You may have had "easy" symptoms for her to deal with in the past, but this is a real challenge and she has proven (with her heartless comment and ignorance of adrenal fatigue) that she isn't up for it. "Overly concerned about your health", does that mean you shouldn't be going to the doctor??!! Obviously, she thinks as most doctors think: if all your bloodwork comes back with all "normal" levels, it is impossible for anything to be wrong with you and it must be psychosomatic. That means she is either an idiot or too lazy to read up on current medical news. Either way, she can't help you.

Find one who will test your cortisol levels to see if your adrenals aren't putting out like they should. If your levels are normal and you still have symptoms of adrenal fatigue, then try to give the adrenals the things they need to work. Definitely look at lisa's thread entitled "Adrenal Support and health".

Make sure you don't cut salt out of your diet, the adrenals may become very stressed without it. And yes, sea salt or some other healthy sodium from the health food store would be much better than regular sodium chloride.

If you do have cfs, you will find that you are mostly on your own with it. Just keep reading and tracking down all your symptoms and what to do about them. You may have to change your diet drastically to a healthy one. I think we have all tried to keep eating the same old crap we were before we got sick but it's impossible to get well that way. Start eating lots of veggies, force yourself to have them with every meal. It will get easier after awhile.

good luck!

karen
  5. nightngale

nightngale New Member

That is the strange thing about this doctor. She is sending me to Johns Hopkins a huge teaching hospital with 120 neurologists....and did help me get my pots dx on my very first visit with her...by referring me to a cardio. Who I also really like. This is after years of having to fight thru docs to even listen! She also wrote out referrals for the dry eye, possible Sjopgrens (sorry on that spelling) and a new rheumy. She goes to classes at John's Hopkins every week. She takes her time with you. She even admiited that PCP docs don't know alot about specialty things. That is the first time she ever made me feel funny. And not even knowing what adrenal fatigue Is? She is the best I have found in our hmo and I will ask the new rhematologist about the adrenal fatigue. Or try the alternative. Someone on this site gave me his name as being good. I have been thru way worse Doctors than her. so for now I will stick it out and see what happens with my other tests!

THanks for all the help!
  6. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Yea, I feel like my family should be on Jerry Springer, well my daughter and her hub and his father and sister. I never know what the next ridiculus crisis is. Its so nerve wracking. I heard someone in a store saying "I only have 7 months to get in shape for my wedding" and she looked perfectly in shape to me. I guess the older you get the worse it gets. In my case.
  7. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

you can order this yourself on line for about $150 thru Clylmer Healing Center in Quakertown PA. It includes a 20 min phone consult with the naturo path Dr. who specializes in treating adrenal fatigue.

so far for me it was the best $150 I have spent in regards to this damn CFS. Wish I had known about it years ago. I dont think that treating my adrenal fatigue will 100% cure me of CFS, but I do think it is a HUGE part of my problem.

take care and good luck
    bigmama2
  8. JazzieS

JazzieS New Member

If you have adrenal fatigue already.....constant family stres could bring on a majore adrenal crisis one day.

You can use your search engine and type in 'adrenal insufficiency'.....there're many sites that will direct you to what kind of tests you need to take to get an official dx.

CFIDS tend to affect our adrenal system and thyroid.

I had a major adrenal crash 3 yrs ago......I was agonized between life and death. (oh, sily, I don't mean I was suicidal) but the crisis was so bad, my body was in shock.

Please have your adrenal checked and don't let ignorant doctors annoy you.

Hugs
    Jazzie