Could I have both CFS and Lyme Disease?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LdyM, Oct 27, 2009.

1. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Several diagnosis of CFS since taken ill in 1994. Now new Dr. says my symptoms point toward Lyme. I have most symptoms of both diseases.

Possible that I do have both? If so, would it be a chicken/egg kind of thing?

Thanks for all thoughts! Sick and confused, **LdyM
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2009]
  2. kermworm

kermworm New Member

Lyme is definitely something to consider with CFS, but I'd also investigate this...

Electro Hypersensitivity - Talking to Your Doctor

German Doctors Unite on RF Health Effects:

Matter of fact, show the above to your doctor as it might explain why you're having trouble fighting Lyme.
  3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I don't vouch for "CFS" because its' a syndrome of fatigue. M.E. is a disease entity, so I'll talk about that. I have both... It's not easy because they have about 80% of each others complete symptom list!

I got some mutant virus (LOL I guess that can be taken literally, now, with the xmrv thing, who knows!) about seven years ago that threw me for a loop and caused myalgic encephalomyelitis

Then three years ago I got bit by a tick that gave me Lyme.

Pay attention to your patterns of illness. Sudden viral illness in the original onset, rapid loss of muscle strength that takes you days to get back (even if you're not "tired," it's the weakness), worsening of all symptoms following even mental exertion or being upright too long, and any episodes you may have had where you CANNOT move can point to M.E.

Cycles of fever (1 week of fever, three weeks of not), twitching on the left side, episodes of facial paralysis or drooping, sudden inflammation without evidence of new infection, and arthritis-like symptoms (especially the knees) can point to Lyme. Get a Western Blot! =)
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

again, which came first, is a chicken/egg thing... I was sick as a teen for a year with mono (could've been EBV or CMV, hard to say as they didn't have definitive tests then). I cycled up and down with symptoms/energy - it always kicked in when I was in the middle of stress of going to school etc, but over past 8-10+ years have slowly but markedly gone down.

I now know I've had lyme, and my current protocol includes abx targeting lyme and other bacteria, and I'm definitely herxing to it and have had some significant gains. My herxes are exactly like the major symptoms I was getting about 10-12 years ago.

But I'm betting I have other things as well... any of these pathogens can be opportunistic if another paves the way. In my case, I'm betting CMV or EBV is what first compromised my system, as I never felt right afterwards... likely most of us have a panoply of 'stuff'.

all the best,
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Yes, you can have both.

It is also possible that your CFS symptoms are really caused by the lyme bacteria (and common coinfections like babesia, bartonellla and ehrlichia,ect).

Here's some very good lyme info...

pages 9-11 of above paper has a symptom list.....pages 22-27 has coinfection info and symptoms....but read the whole thing....very important.

You can also find great info at They have a great Medical Questions board, Seeking a Doctor board, and General Support board.

If you have lyme, you will need a LLMD...Lyme literate MD... to treat you who folllows ILADS guidelines.

Good luck to you!
  6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

After a trip to the Ozarks when I was 11. Almost everything that I've been through since then points to a Lyme infection being the cause of almost all of my chronic illness problems. I've tried many many many treatments for CFS starting around 1981 or a few years after my daughter was born.

I am convinced there are NO cases of "summer flu". If you got sick during the summer it was most likely due to a tick or mosquito bite. Ticks are active from May to Nov in most parts of the USA.

I didn't get better until I started going after the Lyme in 2007. I wasted a lot of money at an FFC clinic where they told me I didn't have Lyme in 2006. For a long time, I avoided Abx due to Candida issues when in reality I needed antivirals, anti-fungals and antibiotics in order to treat my infection collection. There is a running record of my protocol in my profile here. If I were you I'd find the closest LLMD and see if you too can get better.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

It is strangely relevant to mine if you remember, I think we'd talked about it... 2 weeks before I got that horrible year of mono etc... I'd been camping in the Ozarks. After returning to my dorm, someone noticed I had a tick on my shoulder. Who knows how long it'd been there... that was spring of 1970. Can't remember the area I'd been, but thinking it was Johnson's Shut-Ins, or something or other, sound familiar?

all the best,