Could I have Fibro or maybe something else

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joe27, Sep 3, 2008.

1. joe27

joe27 New Member

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read what I have to say...

First I am a 27 year old male.. Before all this started 18 months ago I had not be sick or the the doctor since high school... I used to workout 4 to 5 days a week and I loved it never had any health problems.. Then in April of 07 I felt a pinch in
    my right shoulder while I was lifting weights. I immediately stopped and took some time of from working out... The pain was not really bad and it did not effect my life except that I quit lifting weights.. The strange thingis the dull ache went from the right to left shoulder in about 2 weeks and then to my upper back right on spine.. Again it was not a serious pain and did not effect my life... I work in a warehouse and do alot of lifting and bending and it did not effect my job..In fact I didn't feel any of the pain while I was at work...

This pain would total go away for awhile and then come back. But when it came back it is always a little worse than before. Finally I figured maybe I had a pinched nerve in the neck so I went to the doctor in late May of 07. Doc prescibed some anti inflammatorys that really did not do a whole lot IMO.. It went away again(for the most part) and came back around Mid August, So I called doc he scheduled an MRI of neck and thorasic spine. All came back fine with only a small bulge in neck but was not touching any nerves... Right after that I started to fell some tingling in bottom of feet when I would get up from bed in the morning. It only lasted until I took about 2 steps on my feet and went away.. Around thanksgiving/ christmas I started having some low back pain. It to would last only a few day then fade away..Around New years this year the left shoulder and upper spine pain came back pretty rough and lasted about a week before going away again.. About this time I noticed I would occasonally get some weird feelings really anywhere on my body like there was a bug biting me. It was not often that I felt this so I did not think anything of it...

Spring this year was wonderful. I don't remember hardly any pain or weird feeling anywhere between March and June..

Then July came and all hell broke loss. Let me first say I switched from 1st to 3rd shifts June 1st...For the first month I had no problems then around 4 of July my shoulder upper back came back along with the tingling that i felt in other parts of body including face.. I starting getting more headaches than usually pain around the eyes and a felt a little off balance. and I began to have a terrible time sleeping... I have never in my life had a terrible time sleeping. It was like as soon as I was about to go to sleep my body would jerk and wake me up...This is when my anxiety went sky high. Also I got this burning pain in my penis. It
    would burn a little when I peed and even when I ejactulate. Very much like a UTI this seems to come and go very randomly. I went to DR Google and came up with thinking I had all kinds of bad stuff going on..Brain tumor, MS, even Fibro..I went back to the Doc in late July and got some Ambien for sleeping and got a brain MRI which of course came back fine.Doc really has no clue about what could be wrong with me

After that around Aug 1st I actully started to fell alot better.I was sleeping without the use of Ambien. My energy was like what is was before I had no pain.
    The only think that concerned me was I still had off and on headache (which I would take Advil cold and sinus and would always go away) and I started to have painless muscle spasms and twitching really anywhere in the body.. They were not constant and only happened at rest..

I figured what would it hurt to go back to the gym and work
    out lightly. I did and for the first two weeks I had not felt that good in a long time. I loved it I thought I had whatever is wrong licked. It gave me such a feeling of good
    health. I know if I had something bad like ALS,MS I would not be able to do what I was doing... So this past week I notice the pain was starting to come back. And I had a couple of days were i had trouble sleeping so in fear of whatever this is coming back, I did very little last week except for friday..Friday I did some squats with even less wieght that I had been using the prior two weeks..I did my 3 sets no problem but when I got done my right leg felt like it was full of lead..It has felt that way of and on for this entire
    weekend..Also my should and back pain have come back with a vengence out of no where...I hadn't even worked out my arms since sunday night and friday night as soon as I lay down to bed the pain comes back big time...This weekend I have had pain everwhere, it feels like nerve pain,not muscle pain Burning tingly in left shoulder all the way down to palm of hand right shoulder, lower back and butt have been burning, burning legs and feet..None of this has been constant, but is very noticable..Sleeping is not very good..I wake up still feeling tired... Also wake up sweating alot..

I don't understand what is happening to me if I am not careful with my thoughts I can start crying very easily. I have done that about 5 times this past month and a half I worry all the time about this. It consumes most of my thoughts.. Many people have told me it is anxiety, but I don't think it is..I have no doubt anxiety makes it worse but I can't help it. I think about how I was before and I want to go back to that. But deep down I know I never will and thats killing me even though I have not been dx with anything yet..

I am wait for an appointment to a Neuro as I type this...Could it be Lyme disease I do remember a rash behind my leg and some place I can't remember were. I think it may have been before all this started I just can't remember..Anyway it did itch quite a bit. So it may have been something else

Also I should note I do not have any tender points.

[This Message was Edited on 09/03/2008]
  2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member sorry that you are having such problems....really do not know if it is FM, Lyme or what is ailing you.....but get some good doctors behind you and do not leave any stone not stop until you get answers...I am sure you have anxiety, but it is from the worry and not let them tell you it is in your head, it is not! You are so very young...wish you well...
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Welcome to this board--fibro diagnosis or not.

You have experienced many physical symptoms that those of us with a firm diagnosis have experienced; in retrospect, I know alot of my problems started in my right shoulder also.

Joe, one thing you did mention was the sleep problems you experienced. At the very core of my fibro was sleep deprivation. When I wasn't sleeping the pain, burning, and weird sensations I would feel throughout my body was very alarming. And the lousier I felt, the more I cried. I have made restorative sleep my personal permanent mission.

I am glad you have an appointment with a neuro. If that doesn't give you results, proceed only to a rheumy that treats fibro patients--be sure to ask before you schedule the appointment. If that doesn't give you any results (but I think it may) keep forging ahead until you get an answer. The worst fear is the fear of the unknown. You will be better off and better focused when you know precisely what you are dealing with.

Please keep us posted and know that you have friends here that really care.

P.S. Joe, go to my profile and read some of my old posts. You will see many of the things you mentioned in your post and many varied replies from all our friends here. Hope this helps you feel a little better.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

While I do not have any answers that have not already been mentioned, I do want to welcome you to the board.

I agree with the above posters about sleep. Even if it is not Fibro. The fact that some of your problems started when you switched shifts is telling.

Good luck,
  5. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

you're on the right track. You're doing your research and asking questions. It is so couragious and wise of you. A lot of men your age would just try to be tough and not ask any questions or go to the doctor.

I agree with everybody else, find a doc who regularly treats fibro/chronic fatigue. Find a local fibro or chronic fatigue support group and they can tell you the best docs to go to in your area.

While waiting for diagnosis you can search this site for pain management tips to get you through the bad times. Also check out coping corner. This is a great website for emotional support and health information.

((((((hugs & prayers))))

6. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hey Joe,

I didn't read your post super carefully, but it seems you may be dealing with something structural. You may want to check out the following thread I started entitled:

<a href="">Bio Cranial Therapy - Major FM Relief Story - AtlasProfilax</a>

Click on the above link and it will take you directly to that thread.

Good luck, and welcome to the board.

Regards, Wayne
  7. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Your case sounds like FMS to me.

8. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I'm sorry for what you are going through and how scary it is right now for you. Not having answers when it involves our health, well-being, and very lives is just plain difficult and frustrating.

Many of us with CFS/FM had symptoms that began with a stressful event of some kind, perhaps like the one you have described. The stress causes our system to overload, and what it has been able to keep in check, it can no longer. Then all of the symptoms begin to emerge causing havoc.

Please consider lyme disease as a possible underlying infection. Lyme is in all states. Only about 50% of people who have lyme disease ever develop the tell-tale bullseye rash. Many people, myself included, never knew of a bite at all.

Lyme disease is called “the great imitator” because it is often mistaken and misdiagnosed as something else. Here are some examples:

Common misdiagnoses of Lyme disease include, but are not limited to:

Alzheimer's Disease (AD)
    Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease
    Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
    Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS/CFS)
    Guillain-Barre Syndrome
    Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA)
    Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Lyme disease can also imitate many psychiatric and neurologic disorders including:

Anorexia Nervosa
    Manic depression
    Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
    Panic Attacks
    Tourette's Syndrome

Often, when people are infected with lyme disease, there are other tick-borne illness they are also infected with. In your case, I would be suspicious of babesiosis, because one of the prominent symptoms is night sweats.

Unfortunately, many doctors have misconceptions about lyme disease. Also, lab testing is often unreliable.

Just to be sure and at least rule it out, I suggest that you find a doctor very knowledgeable about lyme, sometimes called a lyme literate medical doctor (LLMD). Ironically, in most cases, this is NOT an infectious disease doctor. I suggest that you contact a lyme support group in your area to find an LLMD, or go to, click on flash discussion, then seeking doctor.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis, based on patient history, symptoms, and labs are considered. It is in your best interest to read up on it.

Some of your symptoms which could point to lyme disease are: pain, weird feelings like bugs biting you, sleep problems, jerking in sleep, headaches, anxiety, twitching.

Well wishes to you. I hope you get the answers you need soon.

Lyme Symptoms List

This is an article from the Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation:

Lyme (commonly misspelled as Lime or Lymes) Disease symptoms may show up fast, with a bang, or very slowly and innocuously. There may be initial flu-like symptoms with fever, headache, nausea, jaw pain, light sensitivity, red eyes, muscle ache and stiff neck. Many write this off as a flu and because the nymph stage of the tick is so tiny many do not recall a tick bite.

The classic rash may only occur or have been seen in as few as 30% of cases (many rashes in body hair and indiscrete areas go undetected). Treatment in this early stage is critical.

If left untreated or treated insufficiently symptoms may creep into ones life over weeks, months or even years. They wax and wane and may even go into remission only to come out at a later date...even years later.

With symptoms present, a negative lab result means very little as they are very unreliable. The diagnosis, with today's limitations in the lab, must be clinical.

Many Lyme patients were firstly diagnosed with other illnesses such as Juvenile Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Reactive Arthritis, Infectious Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Fibromyalgia, Raynaud's Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Interstitial Cystis, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Fifth Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, scleroderma, lupus, early ALS, early Alzheimers Disease, Crohn's disease, ménières syndrome, reynaud's syndrome, sjogren's syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, prostatitis, psychiatric disorders (bipolar, depression, etc.), encephalitis, sleep disorders, thyroid disease and various other illnesses. see -- Other Presentations and Misdiagnoses

If you have received one of these diagnoses please scroll down and see if you recognize a broader range of symptoms.

If you are a doctor please re-examine these diagnoses, incorporating Lyme in the differential diagnoses.

The one common thread with Lyme Disease is the number of systems affected (brain, central nervous system, autonomic nervous system, cardiovascular, digestive, respiratory, musco-skeletal, etc.) and sometimes the hourly/daily/weekly/monthly changing of symptoms.

No one will have all symptoms but if many are present serious consideration must be given by any physician to Lyme as the possible culprit. Lyme is endemic in Canada period. The infection rate with Lyme in the tick population is exploding in North America and as the earth's temperature warms this trend is expected to continue.

Symptoms may come and go in varying degrees with fluctuation from one symptom to another. There may be a period of what feels like remission only to be followed by another onset of symptoms.

PRINT AND CIRCLE ALL YES ANSWERS ( 20 yes represents a serious potential and Lyme should be included in diagnostic workup)

Symptoms of Lyme Disease

The Tick Bite (fewer than 50% recall a tick bite or get/see the rash)
    Rash at site of bite
    Rashes on other parts of your body
    Rash basically circular and spreading out (or generalized)
    Raised rash, disappearing and recurring

Head, Face, Neck

Unexplained hair loss
    Headache, mild or severe, Seizures
    Pressure in Head, White Matter Lesions in Head (MRI)
    Twitching of facial or other muscles
    Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
    Tingling of nose, (tip of) tongue, cheek or facial flushing
    Stiff or painful neck
    Jaw pain or stiffness
    Dental problems (unexplained)
    Sore throat, clearing throat a lot, phlegm ( flem ), hoarseness, runny nose

Double or blurry vision
    Increased floating spots
    Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes
    Oversensitivity to light
    Flashing lights/Peripheral waves/phantom images in corner of eyes

Decreased hearing in one or both ears, plugged ears
    Buzzing in ears
    Pain in ears, oversensitivity to sounds
    Ringing in one or both ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems

Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping) or Interstitial cystitis
    Upset stomach (nausea or pain) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Musculoskeletal System

Bone pain, joint pain or swelling, carpal tunnel syndrome
    Stiffness of joints, back, neck, tennis elbow
    Muscle pain or cramps, (Fibromyalgia)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems

Shortness of breath, can't get full/satisfying breath, cough
    Chest pain or rib soreness
    Night sweats or unexplained chills
    Heart palpitations or extra beats
    Endocarditis, Heart blockage

Neurologic System

Tremors or unexplained shaking
    Burning or stabbing sensations in the body
    Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Weakness, peripheral neuropathy or partial paralysis
    Pressure in the head
    Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks
    Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking
    Increased motion sickness
    Lightheadedness, wooziness

Psychological well-being

Mood swings, irritability, bi-polar disorder
    Unusual depression
    Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)
    Feeling as if you are losing your mind
    Over-emotional reactions, crying easily
    Too much sleep, or insomnia
    Difficulty falling or staying asleep
    Narcolepsy, sleep apnea
    Panic attacks, anxiety

Mental Capability

Memory loss (short or long term)
    Confusion, difficulty in thinking
    Difficulty with concentration or reading
    Going to the wrong place
    Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)
    Stammering speech
    Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Reproduction and Sexuality

Loss of sex drive
    Sexual dysfunction
    Unexplained menstrual pain, irregularity
    Unexplained breast pain, discharge
    Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being

Unexplained weight gain, loss
    Extreme fatigue
    Swollen glands/lymph nodes
    Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)
    Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)
    Symptoms seem to change, come and go
    Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts
    Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you
    have not since felt well.
    Low body temperature

Allergies/Chemical sensitivities

Increased affect from alcohol and possible worse hangover

9. Chrisgirl

Chrisgirl New Member

Hi Joe,

I am so sorry about what you are going through. I ca n relate as I have been sick for 6 months and still no answers. I have many of the same symptoms as you, and they all came along right before we moved to a state 9 hours away from the home I've known for 38 yrs. I am still seeing a neurologist who is "watching me to see what happens." All tests have come back normal. Hang in there and let us know what you find out. Try not to worry yourself into a depression while you wait. Easier said than done. It is hard stay positive when the symptoms are so scary. Still, my advice would be to look for the positive each day. I hope you can get in for and appt. soon.