Could I have Lupus? please help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Renia, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Renia

Renia New Member

I've had strange physical symptoms and I tested positive for the ANA test.
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I don't have lupus or know much about it, but I do know that a positive ANA can indicate other things besides lupus.

Have you talked to the doctor who ordered the test? That's always a good idea. A second opinion may be something for you to consider.

Unless you describe your symptoms, I don't know that anyone here will be able to help you out, either. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

on this site. If you go up to the message boards box click on that you wil find the board name click on that again and you'll see a message board just like this one.

I have symptoms similar to SLE (lupus), had raised dna binding but seriological test for SLE (dna antibodies) was negative. Steroids givn at that time were a disaster but then this hospital department had never treated anyone with lupus or sle. Recently had ana antibodies test done this was negative but I do know ana antibodoes do not necessarily mean lupus and vice versa.

I presume your doctor is going to check this out further.

Good luck

Cheers

Tansy
  4. Renia

Renia New Member

I'm 26 years old. I noticed my first symptom seven years ago. My right leg felt "heavy" and clunked on the ground when I would walk. It went away so I dismissed it. Since then I've had double vision that has forced me off the freeway. The double vision comes and goes. In the past couple of years I've gotten worse. I have reoccurring weakess in my arms and legs. Sometimes it stays for a few days and sometimes weeks. When I'm sick I get very weak. I can't walk or get up from the toilet. I can not run anymore. I can not get up from the ground without using an object to pull myself up. Some days it's impossible for me to carry my 16 month old son. I avoid stairs and curbs. My doc that gave me the ANA test says there is something wrong but he doesn't know what it is. I saw a Neurologist who did a nerve shock test on my legs. He told me to join a gym and basically blew me off. I know some people think it's in my mind but I know my own body and something is wrong.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is very difficult for docs to finally make the diagnosis of Lupus and even if we have all the details, we could not begin to try to tell you. I am sorry; I know how distressing this can be. Your docs need to run a lot of tests to exclude illnesses which mimic the symptoms of FMS/CFIDS, including Lupus and MS.

Hang in there while you are going through the diagnositc phase of treatment. It is the most difficult phase for all of us. Good luck.

Love, Mikie