Could Michael Jackson have had fibromyalgia??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ulala, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ulala

ulala New Member

He complained of desperately needing medications for sleep, according to CNN contacted a nurse for low energy and needed many pain killers. He also liked to stay by himself and actually rented a room in Vegas and stayed there for months by himself. He said he would sometimes drive a scooter around late a night in the hallways of the hotel. It sounds like many of the symptoms of FM.

from CNN-Michael Jackson suffered from severe bouts of insomnia and pleaded for a powerful sedative despite knowing its harmful effects, a nutritionist who worked with the singer said Tuesday. full story at CNN

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2009]
  2. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

that Michael Jackson suffered from Lupus during his teenaged years. Is it possible it made a come back for him? If it is like for most of us, suffering from more than one autoimmune disease, was a possibility for him.

Take care...
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

No, Michael Jackson did NOT have FM. He had severe mental issues. MJ is the "last" person you could possibly want as a poster person for FM.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

yeah, he is definitely not a stellar poster person....I feel quite bad for him, in that he obviously had a lot of struggles, but no way would I want to be associated with him
  5. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

a person can have both severe mental issues and an illness like fibro or any other illness.

i have both cfs and psychiatric illness. (fun! not.)

many, many of us on this board have cfs/or fm AND psychiatric illness. (yes of course i know that plenty of people have only cfs or fm)

how can you be sure that mj did not have fibro?

i have nooo idea if he had fibro or not. prob not- but who knows? could he have had cfs?

about MJ as poster child for FM- that would be maybe a double edged sword. bad - for the obvious reasons. but maybe good- every man woman and child in the "civilized world" (meaning with tv, internet) would hear the term fibromyalgia.

take care all

6. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

FM shares symptoms with a lot of disorders. I'd strongly suggest that his issues were more mental. My guess is that he had OCD, and it is a known fact that he had body dysmorphic disorder, a disease in which you are obsessively concerned with how you look and constantly attempting to change your appearance. People with body dysmorphic disorder are plastic surgery junkies. If he had pain, it could have been from all the plastic surgeries, or from other issues, such as a serious burn he received on his scalp. He had also been physically abused by his father, which I'm sure didn't help. Also, his father had criticized his appearance when he was a child, ie, "big nose." Shoot, I can't believe I'm discussing Michael Jackson after seeing all the sensationalistic stuff on the news.
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Just a guess here, but I would think that if every man, woman and child in the "civilized world" heard the term fibromyalgia associated with MJ, they would think "mental illness". That is not what any of us here would want. I don't think you can compare MJ's problems with FM or CFS. Michael's problems went way beyond being depressed because of a chronic illness. He was a grown man who mentally regressed to the mental state of a child.
  8. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

yea, i think you are right that it would not be good for people to associate mj with fm or cfs. and i agree that he was a grown man with the mental state of a child. and like someone else said- i really do think he had body dismorphic disorder.

i didnt compare mjs problems with cfs/fibro. i said we dont know if he may have had cfs or fibro - in addition to his mental illness.

but- i still say it is a fact that many people who have cfs or fibro also have clinical psychiatric illness. i myself had clinical depression before i got sick w cfs. to me- depression and cfs feel totally different from each other. i can always tell which is which. for me, they are equally horrible. and i detest the people who try to deny cfs and fibro patients the medical care we need- by trying to push the bs "it's all in our heads" stuff. (like wessley in england- evil ) For me- i need good treatment for clinical depression and good treatment for CFS.

just because someone has one illness, does not mean they are exempt from any additional illnesses. (but wouldnt that be great if it worked that way!)

take care
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I don't know. The claims of the vitiligo, I remember reading an article that said he was using a bleaching cream on his skin. This was years ago. I don't know what the truth is there. But if it really was autoimmune, it's definitely possibly he also suffered from FM symptoms.

Insomnia can be caused by lots of things. And just the fact he was pushing his body beyond the limits with the insane hours of rehearsals and performances, it's amazing he ever got any sleep. Even Madonna had to take something to sleep when she was on tour.

I wish Michael had spoken of his pain and suffering because by keeping silent, no one knew. Maybe he could have gotten better help if he had really opened up about it.

My guess is the prescription stuff killed him. He always had low body weight and he was probably given too high a dose of something and he was taking alot of stuff.

I doubt he had FM itself. No one could work and perform all those hours like he was with it. The dancing is way too physical for that many hours. But he could have suffered from autoimmune.

I think alot of his mental illness came from the prescription drugs. And a combo of that, plus a mental breakdown in the 80's. Michael was sick mentally for a very long time.
  10. baby-bear

baby-bear New Member

I think Michael with all the stress and injuries he had which usually brings on FMS and Leaky gut along with improper diet and medications yes he probably had FMS and Leaky Gut. One of the MAIN symptoms of those two disorders is insomnia along with all the other symptoms. I was only getting maybe 1 hour of sleep each and every night for many years. Then I started my probiotics. This poor guy was not a drug seeking person for the high as they say...he was just trying to get relief!!!
  11. Doober

Doober New Member

His past history would show that he would qualify in the top percentile as a candidate to be Dx'd with FM.

Regardless of the things he has had done to his body for the sake of appearance, Regardless of the dark clouded moments in his life, just imagine what the media would be pushing this disease/syndrome out to the HUGE viewing audiences.

Many media outlets would have DR's explaining FM to the world that is watching. would it take the pain and suffering and then the death of a widely known celebrity all over the world to finally get the truth about what we deal with on a daily basis.

The non-believers will hopefully finally see what we have been trying to tell them.

We want the world to know the truth about FM and not the false ideals around it, and unfortunately it would take MJ's death to tell if he did suffer from FM/CFS??

I am not a fan of MJ, I do like a few songs, but at this point it truly doesn't matter who brings out the truth of FM.
  12. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

MJ claimed to have vitiligo, however, there were a lot of people who knew him that claimed that he didn't actually have it. I have to wonder if his lightened skin wasn't a result of his body dismorphic syndrome.
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

MJ's dad was strict, however, do we know for sure that he actually abused Michael as MJ claims?? Both Joe Jackson, and Jermaine claim that there wasn't any abuse and that Michael fabricated those allegations. I find it incredibly strange that if there was abuse, that it was only directed at one out of nine of the kids.

As to MJ's behaviour with the children; why did he feel the need to have security cameras and alarms along the hallway to his bedroom to warn him if anyone was approaching his bedroom??? Secondly, why would a grown man have children in his bedroom in the first place? It's just plain "wrong". I'm not saying that MJ sexually abused the kids, but something wasn't right.

And you can't compare being a Nanny with Michael's need for children.
  14. Empower

Empower New Member

I heard some Rabbi friend of his say that Michael "thought he had physical ailments, like neck and back problems" but he actually had mental issues brought on by years of abuse and not feeling accepted
  15. quanked

quanked Member

Of all the many things we want and need to talk about on this board is this man one of them? The media will discuss him plenty. I, speaking for myself, do not want to have my eyes focus on his name here. I have found peace, support, comfort and understanding here. This man is the topic of tabloids and gossip columns.

Pedophiles ravage children's lives. The scars are for life. I hate seeing any further energy being fed into this man's life or death.
  16. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

There are many other threads for you if this one doesn't interest you :)
  17. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

We already know the multiple physical diseases he was suffering from all his life.
    Why speculate and add on additional mental and other diseases as well? That's just wrong.
    I really don't understand all the "hate" towards MJ on this board?
    His death is so tragic and very sad at least to me.

Rest in Peace Michael........
  18. Except to just say this much. King of Pop, he was, indeed.

However, exactly what SOME media outlets had said would happen, HAS happened, unfortunately, and just as unfortunate, the same media outlets themselves, are part of it:

MJ's death, has completely overshadowed (eclipsed?) the many other unfortunate deaths that have occurred in recent days/weeks...

Not much out there about Farrah Fawcett, merely a few channels have played her 'documentary' of sorts, "Farrah's story"...

I've not seen ANYTHING, really, on Ed McMahon (how great was he, when I was a very young kid,, announcing, "and with 3 & a 1/4 stars".... on Star Search? :)

And now, Billie Mays, poor man... bumped his head, on "a rough flight", and then 'seemed fine' until his wife found him unresponsive Sunday Morning. An injury the media called similar to what had happened to actor Liam Nieson's (sp) wife, while skiing, she too, refused medical treatment, got right up.... but, sadly, died, very suddenly, shortly there after.

David Carradine, well, those circumstances... I can understand how that's kind of quiet now...

Still, though... those people meant just as much to their families, and also, to Hollywood, in most cases.. but, oh my goodness, cannot FIND a channel, not covering MJ's tragic death.

They were all tragic, may they ALL rest in Peace, & may all their families be in our thoughts & prayers.

I still think of poor John Travolta, & his wife/family, having lost his precious son, so so suddenly, and so early. He missed the premier of 1 of his 2 upcoming movies, understandably so, still grieving.

Heath Ledger, tragic as well.

God Bless all.

19. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I haven't noticed any "hate" towards MJ on this board.
  20. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member