Could SAM-E supplement give FM sufferers the best of both worlds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Mar 6, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

Here is a extract of a article I found about Sam-e. Seems like this one med/supplement can help the broad spectrum of problems we have.

Can it Treat Fibromyalgia?

Drs. Brown and Bottiglieri dedicate an entire chapter on SAM-e's positive effects on Fibromyalgia in their book, "Stop Depression Now." They state that depression and soreness, of all of FM's symptoms, are the most stubborn. They are careful to point out that the depression that is common among FM's sufferers is not a symptom of the disease, but often a by-product of living with chronic illness. They support the benefit of SAM-e's non-prescription effects: "...fibromyalgia patients get the best of all worlds--relief from depression and muscle soreness without the side-effects or possible adverse interactions with other medications." 1

They are not alone in their findings. In a study of 47 FM patients treated daily with 200mg of SAM-e intramuscularly and 400mg orally, patients reported significant reduction in tender points, significant improvement in well-being, and significant reduction in the mean scores of the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression, the Zung SelRating Scale, the Hamilton Rating Scale for Anxiety, and the Lorish and Maisiak's Face Scale. All reported that SAM-e was well-tolerated, with no adverse side effects.5

In another study of 30 patients with FM, Sjogren's Syndrome, or both, the patients were treated with 200mg of SAM-e daily through intramuscular injection. At the end of the four week study, the patients with Sjogren's Syndrome and FM reported a significant reduction in painful areas and tender points. The patients with only Sjogren's Syndrome reported a significant reduction on the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression. Finally, the patients with FM finished the trial with significant reductions in symptoms of FM, numbers of tender point areas and painful areas, pain severity scores and depression scales.6

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Two months of maximum doses of SAMe did nothing for me,except empty my wallet. Maybe it didn't work because I took it orally, and it should have been by injection?
    Klutzo
  3. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

it lifted my mood and made me feel over all better and then it slowly lost it affect completely. So I stopped it. Deb
  4. herekitty

herekitty New Member

It gave me a wicked headache, knocked me out (I had to take it at night it was so bad), and left me with a hangover the next day. I tried halving the dose, but it didn't help. After a week, I gave up and gave the rest away. Other than that, it was great!
    Kitty =^..^=
  5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I didn't get any positive results from taking SAMe either ... in fact none of the "alternative" treatments I've tried have helped.

Jan ^v^