Could someone let me know difference between fibro fatigue and cfs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mjj3, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mjj3

mjj3 New Member

I have been dx for 2 yrs with fibro and have the pain, brain fog, tiredness etc. I really have to pace myself with my 3 kids to not overdo or am exhausted and flare the next day. I am beginning to think I also have cfs and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this.
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Kim.

In the past, the diagnosis of FM focused on pain to the exclusion of other symptoms. However, recently the American College of Rheumatology, which formulated the original FM definition, proposed to change it to include other symptoms, namely fatigue, cognitive problems and sleep problems. This change increases the overlap with the CFS case definitions, and I think it will be more difficult to distinguish the two based on the "official" definitions.

For what it's worth, I believe that a critical issue is whether or not a person has glutathione depletion and a partial methylation cycle block. I think this is the core biochemical issue in CFS, and if it is present, there is a nonprescription treatment available for it. You can read more about this at www dot cfsresearch dot org.

The test panel to determine this is called the methylation pathways panel, and it is offered by the Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in New Jersey (formerly called Vitamin Diagnostics, Inc.) The contact information is below. The panel costs $300 plus the cost of shipping the blood samples to the lab.

Best regards,

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on a clinician’s letterhead.

Available from:

Health Diagnostics and Research Institute
    540 Bordentown Avenue, Suite 4930
    South Amboy, NJ 08879
    Phone: (732) 721-1234
    Fax: (732) 525-3288

Lab Director: Elizabeth Valentine, M.D.

Dr. Tapan Audhya, Ph.D., is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

Rich Van Konynenburg, Ph.D.
    Independent Researcher and Consultant
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

4. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

my dr. thinks they go together.. well a dr where i used to live... she thought that most fibro pts had cfs but not all cfs pts had fibro. i have heard this many times...not sure how true it is but i know i have both.