Could Someone Please Help Me.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caffey, Mar 15, 2007.

1. caffey

caffey New Member

Hi there: i have posted a couple of times before. I don't know if it is brain fog or what but I am struggling and don't get it. I have ra and have been told I have fm. I was 18/18 when she( the rheum) examined me. She says both are dds. are flared right now. So I am wondering.
    1.I know I am in pain from the ra but I don't feel pain in the tender/trigger points ( whatever the word is) until you touch me and then I am off the chair and pulling back. She says that proves that I have fm.because of the fact that I pull back. She said that is characteristic of people with fm. She said it is like they are saying don't touch me.
    2. My pain guy says the fm is because the nerve endings are so fried because of the pain I am in with the ra and being flared for so long.
    3. They say it one of ra's family members who have moved in. ( who invited him anyway lol. and how do you evict him lol.
    4. I am just not getting it. I don't see how the 2 are connected or related. I just know that I feel awful and am soooo tired.
    If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.
    Cath
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I have an elevated RA factor but my rhumie doesn't think it is RA at this point.
    I don't know if it's related or not as so many of us have random dd's that are not technically related.. but so why do so many of us have them! I know I have OA..
    Alot of folks with RA seem to have Fibro, alot of folks with Lupus seem to have Fibro..
    You know, maybe when the find the link in all this they will find the cure as well!!
    Hugs!
    Dona
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Cath,
    You know, I never thought about it before, but I have both, too. My RA was diagnosed as Osteo Arthritis, at first, and then I was told I had Rheumatoid. If I remember correctly, I started getting deformed fingers with the RA right about the time I got FM.

I have so many things wrong with me, that I've stopped trying to figure out which illness causes which symptom. I do know that RA doesn't usually hurt severely all of the time. It is the FM that has the trigger points. My RA was diagnosed by a blood test, and by Xrays of my bones.

They don't have to be relatd for you to have both of them. If your Dr. considers FM a syndrome, I can see why he believes it comes along with RA. It also comes along with Chronic Fatigue and Lupus, and many other illnesses. Some doctors seem to think FM is a separate llness.

You will go around in circles , trying to get answers, because among those who think they have them, few agree.

I don't know if what I have said has helped. There is no simple answer. We just have to keep abreast of latest research, and hope it grows and becomes more accurate, and keep on trying to get well.

I don't know if this will help, but what I have done is to take care of myself and my illnesses (I have 17) and keep trying to get better, and, and the same time, I try to let go of the outcome, and enjoy each day as much as I can, and live in the present moment. I also try to lessen the anger that comnes with these DD's.

Things change, whether they are good or bad, they change. The frustrations and limitations that come with these illnesses are constant and painful. Still, they are not what life is about. It is what we do with them, that counts.

They give us all an opportunity to dig deeper into our souls to find our center, and, in doing that, find our happiness.

God bless.
    Peace,
    Terry

4. caffey

caffey New Member

Thanks so much for your responses. I am struggling because when I hear how some of you are suffering I keep thinking that isn't me. But think fm is more complicated than what people think. I also have so many things wrong and all my docs have agreed it is too complicated to figure out which pain is which. They just want to keep my comfortable and have told me that I will never be painfree. Because I live alone and am high risk for falls I am almost maxed out with pain meds. It is pretty bad when they say I feel so bad for you and fm is the least of your problems. They say that because even though it sucks it doesn't do damage like ra. Whatever. Yup I just do what I can and don't do what I can't and take it a day at a time. If I don't it is too overwhelming. Enough babbling. Again thanks.
    Cath