Could someone please look at test results???

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by shatteredcrystal, Mar 8, 2007.

1. shatteredcrystal

shatteredcrystal New Member

Hi everyone, hope you can help me understand my western blot test. Dr. said no Lyme disease according to the test and because I live in the wrong area (NC). I've read the post on WB but I don't see anything about bands. My test reads like this;

Lyme Ab/Western Blot Reflex (result) (limits)
    Lyme IgG/IgM Ab <0.91 0.00-0.90

Negative <0.91
    Equivocal 0.91-1.09
    Positive >1.09

Note: The CDC currently advises that Western blot testing be preformed folling all equivocal or positive EIA results. Final diagnosis should include appropriate clinical findings and I positive EIA which is also positive by western blot.

Lyme Disease Ab, Quant, IgM <0.91 0.00-0.90

Negative <0.91
    Equivocal 0.91-1.09
    Positive >1.09

Note; IgM levels may peak at 3-6 weeks post infection, then gradually decline. FDA currently advises that western blot testing be preformed following all equivocal or positive EIA results. Final diagnosis should include appropriate clinical findings and a positive EIA which is also positive by western Blot.

Sorry this is long, but I wanted to copy everything from the lab report. I'm sure one of you can interpret this for me.

Thanks
    Crystal
  2. shatteredcrystal

thanks for your reply, I'm totally confused too.

I've started with a new Dr., complete exam, bloodwork, ekg, and on. I had called twice (before bloodwork date) to see if the Dr. would do a western blot test also. date of bloodwork Dr. wasn't there yet and no one had ask him about test. Nurse said I would have to sign a paper saying I would pay if insurance didn't.

The office called me back 3 hours later, said Dr would request test but I had to pay FIRST, or they wouldn't send it off. It's a 2hour round trip to my Dr. I called back and finally got someone to take a credit card # over the phone.

Sorry to vent, didn't answer your question at all did I?
    It was a Lyme Ab/Western Blot Reflex and was done by Laboratory Corporation of America, (LabCorp?)
    thanks
    Crystal
  3. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Post a copy of the test including " Bands ". The CDC requires 5 bands to be positive before getting a Pos result ( in there eyes ). Igenex gives a paper showing all the bands tested and the result
  4. shatteredcrystal

Dr. did not give me anything about bands. I'm going to contact Dr. office and see if it's in my chart. All I recieved was a 2 page print out from Lab Corp. with info of all bloodwork, lipid's, CBC, ...and Lyme which I copied in my first post.
    So thanks for your time. See, I don't even know what I'm suppose to have(paperwork) Boy do I need help!lol
    Crystal
  5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

It sounds like you had the EIA or the screening test. Often times if it comes back equivocal, as yours did, a western blot then will be done.

I had this EIA done in 2002 and 2004 and both times I was equivocal. However, when the Quest western blot was done back then it only came up with on reactive band.

My point here is... you might want to get the igenex western blot done at this point. Be sure to get the igenex and not the Quest because the igenex has a much higher accuracy rate.

Keep us posted.... Your doctor may disagree with you on which lab to use, but as you will read throughout these boards, the Quest has not been reliable and you should not waste precious time.