Could Sylvia Brown be right?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by silkyblues, Feb 23, 2006.

1. silkyblues

silkyblues New Member

Sylvia was on Montel yesterday and a guy stood up to thank her for herpast work with him! He has (had) fm and cfs. She believes that we need a high protein diet.
    What are the opinions around here?
    Thank you for you time....
    Jan
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

and have to have protein w/ most every meal and snack. Even though my B12 and folic acid are nice and high, my iron is low, and often non-heme iron protein sources, like nuts, avacodos, mixed grains, and peanut butter (really a lentil) aren't enough. I just won't feel energized and sometimes feel spacey and dizzy until I get some meat into me.

I suspect not getting enough fat and protein is a large part of why so many get such intense brainfog. A high protein diet probably isn't for absolutely everyone w/ this disease, we're just too different in our presentations and co-morbid conditions.

Jeanne
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

She has always recommended a high protein diet for those with auto-immune issues...Even Montel sticks to it...

That guy said Sylvia helped him with diagnosing his EBV, CFS and FMS...He thanked her and then asked about his love life...Well, she told him that's what he was there for...tehe

I shook all over when she said the name of the woman would be...Alice or Alicia...(My mother's name and my name), My husband looked at me like he always does when we watch her. I always get messages from her even just watching the show, that's the reason I watch every chance I get...Free 'family get-togethers'...

Anyhoo, I have done high-protein diets and I feel wonderful for awhile, but this crap ALWAYS creeps back in somehow...Just like any therapies I try, works for a little and it's like the 'bas---ds' know you are trying to get 'em and they whack you back into la-la land...

What's great is if you follow the protein diets, you also eliminate the 'junk' we tend to eat regularly and not eating the bread,pasta alleviates the majority of the gluten issue too...Overall, it is probably best to eat this way...Like anything else it may not be good for everyone and you MUST eat quality foods too, like cooking your own meats and not buying processed lunch meats...

Fog setting in, must go, glad someone posted about the show, I was going to get around to it some day, tehe

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i was watching her about a year ago on montel...she stated that in year 2008 they would have cure for fibro...they are close she said with a break through...so we shall see...andi think talked about it in one of her books that i had read from the library, i just don't remembe which book...

jodie
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't watch these day time shows.
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

is in order for everyone....espcially for us...and cut the sugar out...ou will see difference...

inotice if i have sugar my wrist swell up along w/the rest of me...

but i went to the doctors and i have lost 15 lbs in a month... i am on a different anti-depressant,vavactil, which seems to be helping with some pain issues...or it might be that it is not as humid here..we'll see....

so i have been eating barely any sugar and protein bars w/fiber in them and drinking some slimfast one or two times a day..not very consistently cause i like food....

jodie
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Who is Sylvia Brown?
  8. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

Is a Psychic that goes on the Montel Williams show periodically.

Bet2
  9. ouchiered

ouchiered New Member

the other day with the girl who had FM,CFS & more because of saline breast implants???? I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Not to sound spoiled but I got really tried of steaks on the high protein diet. Did do alot of other proteins too. Never sure if it really helped. But my cholesterol is almost 300 with the bad being high also. Now watching my fats very closely. It's truly a battle.

Best to everyone Ouchie
  10. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Sylvia Brown Wednesdays! The only day of the week I'll suck it up and watch Montel.. lol

There's been a small number of times during the past 6 or so years that people with an undiagnosed problem have been told they have FM/CFS. Most people she has told have it; have been at least pointed in the right direction.

I've always hoped to get a chance to have a reading by her - seeing as my body is highly protein intolerant.

~Amanda
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

have ou tried london broil? low on fat..marinate the meat though....

eaten chix breast, i would say eat salmon and fish but i just really don't like it...so i have to take fish oil tablet...

watch your sugar intake as well..olive oil and garlic are great to lower the choliestrol....

can you exercise...? trust me i understand if you can not...

been there done that...

jodie
  12. brie

brie New Member

I do believe she is on to something as my protein levels are always low .I do eat plenty of protein but my body just does't absorp it and it believe that is one of the character trait of CHF/FM . I does't seem to be a common factor among most of us.
  13. ouchiered

ouchiered New Member

Jodieplace

Thanks for the reply. I will try london broil but will need to be careful of what I marinate it in due to sugar. I do stay away from sugar, wheat & dairy. As you know that does not leave us with much fun stuff to munch on.
    Exercise?? that's a tough one. Seems I try to get going on a routine walking everyday & wham! Here comes a flare. Then it's hard to get going again. Whine Whine!! We've all been there.

Read your bio! Hang in there you're a good person.

Take care ouchie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is helpful, it alone is not the answer. I think, like many psychics, she is misreading protein as something to do with diet.

Our cells do nothing but produce proteins to function. It has already been discovered that those with CFIDS have some extra protein molecules in spinal fluid. This is causing excitement in research circles because it may not only be a marker but also lead to a cure in the future.

I think she's on the right track but is misinterpreting what she is sensing.

Love, Mikie
  15. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

I went to a fibro support group meeting last month and the speaker talked about eating a high protein diet. Seems as though the protein will raise the seretonin which will decrease the pain. Our speaker said turkey was especially good for this. So maybe Sylvia has been reading up on fibro!
  16. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Well, I really don't know about the high protein diet. I have seen Sylvia Brown twice. One of the times she spoke with my SIL. My SIL asked Sylvia about her Fibromyalgia. She told my SIL that she will get well, yes most diffinetly but it will take time. Also, my SIL asked about a man she liked. Sylvia told her that this gentleman would come around.

Well, needless to say my SIL has become disabaled, not well etc..the gentleman never came around. Sylvia never told me I would be diagnosed with fibromyalgia... I was sitting right next to my SIL...hmmmmm

I do enjoy Sylvia though, she can be so right on with some of information.
    Cindy
  17. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

when did slyvia say this gentlemen would come around? sometime this century? i am sorry well that we all haven't gotten better...but i feel for you and your sister...

i have thought about seeing slyvia or her son down by san jose, ca...but i don'tknow if i want to spend the high price she charges...

jodie
  18. foggylupie

foggylupie New Member

i have lupus and fibro....with the fibro comes ibs and even diabetes (comes with both of them)....so one day i ventured to research to find out what i should and should not eat....ends up all the red meat with yummy fat on it that i could possibly want....lettuce...celery....and about two other things....no apples, melons, no, not even watermelon....it was unreal....i think i read in one of devyn starlynyl's book about the protein connection....said to eat all the red meat with all the fat i want....i always loved well-done broiled fat on steak....oh....diet was no white potatoes or white flour stuff....so much more....everything...no citrus...it was sick to look at...so now i try not too think too much about it but suffer often as a result....six of one, half-dozen of the other i figure...also....i personally believe a cure will come if god deems it to happen...if god wanted sylvia to know what the cure is, or anyone else, we would have it (i believe)....fibro has just been reclassified as auto immune in nature which changes everything....it's good for us in the long run...directs it moreso away from psych disorder crappo....turning to jesus changed my painful sorry life forever....as much as i hurt sometimes, i also feel healed....emotionally especially...through him i can heal others and that is also healing for me....i have read if you find the cure for lupus, you will have the cure for every disease out there, AIDS, cancer, fibro, ms, everything...down syndrome and stuff...the flu, common cold....so why is it that no money is directed toward that?? aside from the lord, i think a lot of the suffering incurred with fibro would vanish if our society respected people's boundaries (not being able to work a full week or at a top money position or even just consitently)and still pay a respectable wage....so much of the suffering comes from earning wages that do no support the family....most of us would be better off and on disability....but we could bring back volunteerism in america....we are perfect for those types of positions because of the flexibily of hours worked and schedule....if as children we weren't chastised or perhaps beaten by those who should have been helping....not just parents, school teachers, legislature, doctors....the list could go on....if this is recognized and respected and accomodations are made at the juvenile level for pedi fibros, then they would make much more productive adults who would suffer physically and emotionally much less....perhaps prevent them from having to hit the disability roles in their lifetimes...just due to knowlege about their suffering (i think knowlege empowers us bigtime) and learn the ways to avoid a flare before you're in one awful one (and just think maybe they're right and you are lazy)....sorry if i rambled...god bless u all and your loved ones too....i will pray god lessens your pain and suffering

lynne
  19. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I have to agree with you, because back in 83/84 I had to have a Spinal Tap done.
    They found to much Protien in the fluid, plus Blood.
    I think that was the first clue to the FMS.

It also took about 6 shots to numb my back/spine and I still felt it, the DH was with me, and I could tell it wasn't going well as He was sweating Bullets, lol.

I told him after that one, they would have to Knock me out to do another, plus I ended up in Bed for 3 weeks, as the holes in my spine, wouldn't heal.
    Yep, I have always thought that was when I strated to have FMS flares, but I wouldn't be dx until Oct., 2000.
    sharonk
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've heard that spinal taps aren't any fun. It's too bad that it triggered your illness. When I had viral meningitis, they were getting ready to do a spinal tap when my temperature suddenly dropped and I started to improve. They never went ahead with the spinal tap--thank God.

I think it's a good idea for us to avoid intrusive procedures when possible although I've not had problems following surgery.

Did the docs explain the protein in the spinal fluid? From what I've read, the protein in spinal fluid of people with CFIDS is not protein one would normally expect to find there.

Love, Mikie