Could This be a Fibro Flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, May 5, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I've been feeling particularly lousy for the last day or two, and I was wondering whether this could be a fibromyalgia flare. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last August, but I also have multiple sclerosis, which was diagnosed in 1978 and which I've probably had even longer than that. Since last August, I've been trying to learn more about fibro, treatment options, and how the fibro and MS (and/or relevant treatments) might interrelate. The doctors certainly haven't helped much, but this board definitely has!

Meanwhile, I've also developed rotator cuff tendinitis, which my OT assures me is separate from the fibro, though she did say I might have fibro pain along with the pain from the tendinitis.

But in the last few days, everything on my right side has started to hurt more than usual. My lower back, my hip, my knee--all of it aches to the point where even with my cane, I seem to just hobble. Getting up after sitting in a chair hurts like crazy. Some stretching exercises helped a little, but it was only temporary.

I don't seem to get much help from the pain meds that a lot of people take. After my oral surgery in January, they gave me Vicodin, but that didn't help my pain any more than aspirin or Tylenol--and it made me throw up. Darvon and Darvocet didn't help the pain, either. I'm very reluctant to take muscle relaxants, because I already have balance problems from MS (and maybe from fibro, too). I have to limit the amount of aspirin (even tri-buffered aspirin) I take because of GERD problems, and I have to limit my Tylenol because I've had elevated liver enzymes (though not as bad since I started taking milk thistle).

Oh, and just to keep life interesting, my breathing problems have increased in the last day or two as well! My nasal passages seem clear, but in my chest, it feels as if I need to inhale deeply or my lungs will collapse. (Probably not what's really happening, but that's the best way I can describe the sensation.)

Though I was diagnosed with fibro in August, I'm not sure whether I've ever had what would "officially" be called a flare. Could that be what's going on now? I don't think I have a fever. (I seldom do.) And though the Avonex I take for my MS can cause muscle aches as a side effect, that's supposed to happen in the first 6 to 8 hours after the injection, which I last got on Friday. Also, the Avonex side effects are supposed to be gone within 24 hours or so. This achiness really didn't get bad until after that. Besides, I haven't been getting muscle aches following Avonex injections up until now.

So as I asked before, does this sound like a fibro flare, or is it likely to be something else?

--Laura R.M.
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

To me it sounds possible. I frequently get pain & neurological sensations in a flare that tend to be on one side of my body or the other. I have gotten the breathing thing you describe, too; for me it happens more at night, & especially laying down. Haven't had that in a while, but I definitely remember going thru a period where I was noticing what you describe. I would still check this out with your doctor just to be on the safe side. To me, the trouble with FM is the huge number of (& extremely varied) symptoms it has! And I think flares are different (in quality & length) for each of us, too. Hope that's all this is for you, and that it passes soon...

Hugs,
    Pam