Could this be a muscle spasm?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shan1078, Feb 18, 2006.

1. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I've read about those of you who have had muscle spasms, but I have never experienced one. But, I think I had one last night.

NEED HELP!!

My shoulder and the area between my shoulders and neck hurt everyday. But, last night, out of nowhere, the pain went thru the roof!! I looked in the mirror, and could actually see the muscle raised, the one between my neck and shoulder blades!! It was, kinda like a knot. Now, in the past they ached so bad, that I will have my husband try to loosed my muscles. I tried that last night, and almost screamed. It was painful almost to the touch. My husband was horrified. Could this be a muscle spasm?

Is this normal? Any info. would really help
    [This Message was Edited on 02/18/2006]
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

It sure sounds like muscle spasm. Next time you can try applying hot towels to relax the muscle. (Some people try ice, but I am so sensitive, I could not stand ice).

Rest, heating pad, and a muscle relaxant. It you can tolerate it, aspirin or other anti-inflammatory would help-like Ibuprophen.

Also gently massage with warm oil - any oil on hand - even olive oil from your cupboard.

Also try deep breathing to relax.

Hope you feel better today.

3. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I think for sure you were experiencing a muscle spasm..I wake up almost every morning with them and I just went to have an mri of my brain and cervical spine because of it.(no results yet)

Do you have any muscle relaxers or can you ask for some? I actually found my husbands vallium was the quickest to ease the agony and I know we arent supposed to share meds but my husband was freaked as well.

My husband would try to massage the area and he would say it doesnt even feel like skin...it felt like brick (and i'm chubby)

I wake up at 5 am to go to the ladies room and always take a soma (muscle relaxer) whether i need to or not so that when i get up in a couple hours it is not so horrendous...

Good Luck to you Lindsey
  4. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I go to a new Dr. in 2 weeks, I'm gonna ask for some muscle relaxers, and some pain medication. My last Dr. said that "narcotis don't normally work well for patient with FM" What a joke. I'm not willing to suffer anymore.

Atleast, now,with your feedback, I'm confident that it was probally a muscle spasm. It really scared me. Thanks guys
  5. francesakers

francesakers New Member

it also sounds like a muscle spasm to me. I also have them really bad I am on Soma they help me really good. how long have you had FM?? my doctor gave me soma and pain killers no problem.
  6. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

First of all, thanks for responding, every little bit helps!

I've been diagnose with FM for about 4 months now, although, I think I've probally had it for almost a year. My family Dr. diagnosed me, gave me some Tylenol #3 and some Flexeril. (I'm already on Wellbutrin and Trazadone)
    Becuase my blood work came back with a high RA factor, she sent me to a Rheumatologist, which they set up for me. Such a disappointment!! She never looked me in the eye the whole time I was there. She was too busy typing up on the computer my "instructions". She gave me no pain medication, and no muscle relaxers. Just neurontin. I thought, ok maybe I don't need them. WRONG! I had to even beg her for the Lidocaine patches.

Now, I'm going to see a new Rheumy. in 2 weeks, and am sacred to death that he will not give me any pain medicicne. This past week has been absolutely Heck!
    This is probally more than you wanted to know, but thanks for listening!

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2006]
  7. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

I get spasms from my shoulder blade to the bottom of my ribs. Sometimes it feels numb than it feels like it is so tightly stretched ouch!! I take flerexal it works for me>. Hope you get to feeling better. Oh the heating pad is one of my best friends LOL>
    Melinda
  8. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Hi, I just read your post but have not a chance to respond to it yet. Thanks for you feed-back.

About you post, are you taking anything for sleep? I think that if you go without sleep, it can really aggrivate the symptoms we already have. Alot of people on this board take Ambien and have good results with it. I take Trazadone. To learn more about the 2, look around the top of the msg. board. You will see where it says search. Type the name of the med's in there and you will get alot more info. on them. (it took me a while to figure that out,until someone told me!)
  9. LupusCat51

LupusCat51 New Member

I'm new here but felt that I wanted to jump in on this thread. I've experienced muscle spasms a lot in the same area that you've described in your post. I, like you, have pain here everyday, but one weekend I was hurting so badly when my youngest son, Pat, was home. He's a Physical Therapy Assistant. I asked him to massage my shoulders, to get the benefit of all that college money (LOL). Anyway, he began and said that it felt like a railroad spike between my shoulder blades. That's exactly what it felt like to me too except someone had a mallet and was pounding it in!!!

I've also had them in my lower back. I asked my rheumy about them the last time I was there and he told me to take an extra muscle relaxant when it happens.

Oh, well, I wish you well. And, remember you're not alone!
  10. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Your new here too, and I also wanted to say "welcome to the board"

What you described, is alot like what I went thru last night. I don't feel so alone, not since I've been on this board. How long have you had FM, just curious. Nice to meet you!!
  11. LupusCat51

LupusCat51 New Member

Shan1078,

Yes, I'm new here. I was surfing for FMS message boards and found this one. I've enjoyed lurking here for a while. I was diagnosed in November 04 with FMS/OA and in December 04 w/SLE.

What about you? When were your dxd? Do you have anything other chronic invisible illnesses?
  12. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Sorry it took so long to respond, I had to cook dinner.

I was diagnosed this Dec. 18th. And still struggling to handle this. I'm not sure about underlying illnesses. Still going thru some testing. I do know that I have a high RA factor, and think that I could have RA. I had a hysterectomy right at 2 years ago. I did not know anything about FM then, and I think that is what was causing me all of the pain I was. When they did they Hyst. they did not find as much endo. scar tissue as they thought they would. After that surgery, my condition started slowly. And going thru all the different hormones didn't help either! I'm also trying to get my med's right. I'll let everyone knows how that goes!!
  13. marw

marw New Member

Hi there!

Yes, it sounds like it to me. I have them like that in the lumbar region sometimes. When they are really bad, I have to take Zanaflex...which seems stronger to me than Valium....otherwise Valium helps. The best thing to do is get a prescription from your doc for a TENS machine. You can buy one online for about $40.00. It will put a tiny electrical pulse (not dangerous at all) into the muscles and relax them. Sometimes nothing else works for me. I also use wet heat....hot compresses. After all this, the heating pad, of course. I had a great PT, who taught me a lot, but I am losing her due to changes in Medicare.

Good luck with it! They are painful, I know. Massage would probably help too, but I don't have anyone to do it for me, and cannot afford them otherwise. I'm thinking of trying to find a place with students learning massasge to get them.

Glad you posted this. Nice to meet you.

Margaret

P.S. Forgot....another thing that helps, especially if you get them in your thighs or some place like that....is to buy a styrofoam roller. You just lay or sit on it and roll it over the muscle...but it can be painful to do this in a spasm. Best to get some of it relaxed first if you can.
  14. tammis

tammis New Member

I had the same thing with muscle spasm,Only mine is under breatbone,Everynow and then,It spasms,and it feels like this big lump coming out,Im afraid to look,It just swlls up big and moves around,Horrible,horrible feeling.Like its alive in there.Oh yes,understand quite well!!!