Could this be a symtom??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by _Mamie_, Jul 30, 2004.

1. _Mamie_

_Mamie_ New Member

When sitting here at the computer I sometimes will play a game of hearts. While I do this after about 5 minutes my right hand, (the one that works the mouse) goes almost numb, and tingles like it fell asleep. Am I just weird or does anyone else have this problem.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Amy
  2. stagename

stagename New Member

which we are susceptible to. your mouse may be too high. Is it on the desk top or on a pull out shelf that's lower? is your chair too low? Your hand should be lower than your elbow to comfortably use the mouse and keyboard. Rest your hand when it feels like that.
  3. Charleen

Charleen New Member

My right hand and arm goes numb and it also hurts. I have got to a point where I have mixed Ben Gay with BlueIce (don't recomend it, but it does help me) and put my hand brace on. I still can only spend about a half to one hour on the computer. Hurts to bad.
    Some one told me my carpel tunnel might be comming back too. Had my hand operated on about 7 years ago. So I am not sure if it is Fibro or carpel tunnel.
    Good luck hope it gets better
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which really helps with this. It's an optic mouse with a thumb ball. It's got the usual scroll wheel in the middle and the two buttons, but this one also has two extra buttons on the sides for page back and page forward. The mouse itself is large and curved to fit more naturally into the hand. There is much less movement of the wrist required with this type of mouse.

This is the first piece of hardware I have ever bought which did not have to be installed other than to plug it in. This is probably because it's made by Microsoft and I have Windows.

If this turns out to be carpal tunnel syndrome, before having surgery, find a physical therapist who is knowledgeable in ART Therapy. We used to have a member here who recommended it and it saved several from having to have the surgery which doesn't always work.

Love, Mikie
  5. stagename

stagename New Member

i was able to avoid surgery by changing my chair height, keyboard style, mouse height and not scrubbing the tub anymore. i use a curved keyboard, and the pain stopped almost immediately. when i use someone else's keyboard, the pain starts again right away.
  6. _Mamie_

_Mamie_ New Member

Thank you all for advise I will try adjusting chair height and I will look for that mouse.

you guys are all great!!

Amy
  7. J-in-Ohio

J-in-Ohio New Member

This used to happen to me when I was working. Part of the problem was the way the computer and mouse were set up; I had to reach too far to use the mouse. It was somewhat relieved when I had a shelf put on my desk closer to me (I actually had to have my doctor write a note for them to do this!).

However, I also have a knot or spasm or something in the muscle left (inside) of my right shoulder blade which my PT couldn't even get to go away. Probably the computer work and my posture made the knot worse (I've had trouble with that part of my back since my early 20's, before using a mouse) which put pressure on my nerves which made my arm and hand numb.

Check your posture and computer set up. Try out different positions until you feel more comfortable. Hopefully you can alleviate SOME of the discomfort that way.
  8. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I have no trouble with the mouse or keyboard but my hand will go numb very quickly when talking on the phone. Also when I am writing by hand.

JoAnn