Could this be FMS related?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by april026, Apr 3, 2006.

1. april026

april026 New Member

Hi, I just found this board and I'm hoping that I can get some answers from someone here before I go calling my OB/GYN. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and up until yesterday I felt pretty good. I was diagnosed with FMS last year but really haven't had any major problems yet. Yesterday I noticed that I cannot lift my elbow higher than my shoulder. I can raise my hand above my head but I can't raise my elbow (sideways, I guess) without a whole lot of pain...I made a mess trying to poor my coffee this morning. I thought maybe I had slept on it wrong so I made sure I didn't lay on my right side at all last night and it is just as bad this morning. It really feels like my bone somewhere between my elbow and shoulder. I was going to call my OB/GYN or maybe my family doctor. I do see a periontologist next month for another issue. I was just wondering if you think this could be related to FMS or should I just wait it out and see. Oh BTW, I have a 2 year old but didn't suffer with FMS until last year so this is my first pregnancy with the FMS.

Thanks to all who read this...
    April
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

and welcome to this board. I love the name "April"-it's so pretty. Anyway, to your question. Yes, it could be FMS. I have had FMS most of my life. I believe I got it when I was 12 and I am 47 now. The past few years I have had more problems with this. My worst area is my neck and right shoulder. I have had problems raising my arm. Getting things out of the kitchen cupboard was difficult.

My FMS doctor had me do physical and occupational therapy for several months last fall. They showed me different exercises to increase my mobility in my right arm and with my neck. I also had water therapy. It has helped, but I have to do the exercises faithfully every day.

In January I started doing water therapy at the same place. They keep the water really warm. The first half-hour the therapist has us do different exercises in the water and the last half hour we can do whatever we want.

So you might want to see if your doctor will agree to have you go for therapy. My doctor has been trying different medications to help my achy pain and stiffness, but haven't had much luck so far. I'm on a low dose of Morphine, which has helped the sharp, shooting pains, thank goodness, but Morphine doesn't help the dull, achy pains.

Sorry this is so long, but hope I helped you.

Ellen