Could those with chemical sensit'ies post skincare/makeup recs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Dec 6, 2005.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

for example I have a problem finding a mascara that doesn't make me feel sick, give me a headache, sore throat, burning eyes etc but when I leave it off I itch mercilessly (something that never happens when I wear it).

General recs would be good too like foundations, skincare, lipstick etc too.

I know a lot of the lines specially-made for people like me bother some of us still including me and I know there are some that have just touched lucky with regular brands..

Couldn't we benefit from sharing this info as much as we can?

For example, I get on well with Avalon Organics shampoo, Jurlique Day Care Face Cream...though both smell they don't bother me so much as other things.

I find I also like Tom of Maine's unscented soap for my body!

As yet though makeup (facial and eye) remains a problem.

Hoping we can all help each other out with our personal favourites. I, for one, am fed up with my reactions to things and would love some guidance.

God bless. Shelbo :)
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I only buy mine from Whole Foods, the health food store. Never a problem, and I'm a "universal reactor".

LIGHT***********carole
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I don't have MCS, but I do have sensitive skin. I use Bare Escentials as they are pure minerals. I know a lot of FMS people use this brand and love it. If you look at my picture on my profile, you can see how glowing my skin looks (I don't sell it or anything but I love it!)

I know you can buy it in Sephora and Ulta 3 or you can buy it on line via their website (bareescentials w/ .com) or on QVC. There is no fragrance and the makeup lasts a long time because you don't use a lot.

Check it out....
  4. shelbo

shelbo New Member

post the exact name of that mascara as they do quite a few different ones? Thanks so much, Shelbo
  5. shelbo

shelbo New Member

but they do about five in the UK so many the one you have luck with is one of the ones I haven't tried. Do you have problems with every other brand...if so, what happens? Thanks kate...I really appreciate it!

Love Shelbo
  6. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi...I just purchased Jane Iredale makeup from my dermatologist. I have sensitive skin, too, so I know the problems. It is mineral based and so far, I really like it. It is expensive, but what choice do we have. Good luck! B
  7. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

I've had good results with Clinique and Almay.

I can't stand my make-up having any scent and these seem to work well for me.

I recently started using a lip shimmer made by Burt's Bees and that works well, too - has a refreshing pepperminty smell.

I use Dove sensitive skin soap - that works well for me, too. I also use Purex or All dye-free/scent free laundry detergent. And Downy has a scent free/dye free product, too.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)
  8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Cetaphil skin cleanser. Uncsented, and makes my skin look good without putting anything on it.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I ordered some Jane Iredale foundation powder minerals, but it broke my face out. So, with the recommendation of someone on the board, I have ordered some samples from Cory Cosmetics--they only have 2 ingredients in them, I think. They are supposed to be better for your skin than Jane Iredale and Bare Essentials.

I can't use ANY brank of mascara. I think I have tried them all, and I end up with blisters under my eyelids from the allergic reaction to it. Ugh! So, I just quit wearing it.

Note: the Cory Cosmetics is online (www.corycosmetics.com)[This Message was Edited on 12/06/2005]
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

There are two I can use, one is Clinique, also the eye liner, and Adrean Arpel's. Both do not cause problems.

Nothing in the regular stores are good for me, cause my eyes to burn, and feel like I have sand in them.

The above two are great, no problems at all.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl
  12. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I use Almay almost exclusively!

If I use anything else on my eyes, they swell up really bad. Most of the time I try to avoid eye make up but need the mascara as my lashes are so light. I even use the mascara on my eyebrows.

I avoid any foundation as nothing really works for me - my head perspires so badly that any foundation, powder, etc. just feels "yucky!"

The main thing that I do is keep my skin really clean, wash PM and AM with Dial or Ivory, then use a moisturizer. I've had really great luck with Ponds moisturizer. It doesn't feel heavy but does a great job without killiing my eyes!

It seems that my eyes are the most sensitive part of my face.

I did try making creams, etc. That lasted about two seconds. The creams I made up seemed to heavy.

13. shelbo

shelbo New Member

I will check out your recs...

Shirl, I can't tolerate the Clinique but thanks anyhow..I'll have to try to look into the Arpel stuff but I'm in the UK and they don't have that here.

Kate, thanks for replying...I think I might have tried the mascara you can use. I think I had a reaction to it but I may be wrong as they do quite a few...it may have been one called Futurist that I tried...I'll have to look into it. It surprised me to read that you use an aubergine shade with no problems as red-based shades are notorious for causing problems...I read that Derms recommend black as it is the safest pigment. The colour does sound beautiful though! :)

You know what...I don't think pigment bothers me so much though as the strength of the chemicals when a mascara is new. I seem to have to dry out the mascara I use now (which is a really expensive brand called Fresh)so I only end up getting about two weeks out of a mascara. Other brands are worse though and seem to bother me even more.

Any spare money I have goes almost exclusively on mascara! It's a nightmare as I can't leave it off....when I do my eyes burn and itch and I end up with terrible pains in my face and head anyway. my eyes never itch when I wear mascara....Go figure...doesn't make sense. The only thing I can think is that the mascara, though irritating, forms a barrier that prevents other irritants from coming into contact with my eyes. When a mascara is new though the headaches are merciless...worse than usual. But on the other hand I can't put up with burning itching eyes that lead to a headache and facial pain! Aagh! Talk about catch-22.

The best I can do I dry a mascara out and use it for a couple of weeks..still makes me feel tired though and I get fullness in my sinuses! So, I'm on the lookout for something that doesn't give me problems...like you and Shirl have found.

Kate, my reaction sounds a lot like yours! I may give the Illusionist a try incase I haven't tried it before...they have a good return policy though so it's worth a go. Thanks for passing on the tip. I'm glad that you've found something that you can use!!

Re the mineral makeup...reactions to that seem to vary from person to person depending on what brand. I know that the JI includes an ingredient called bismuth oxychloride which can cause problems in some...same with an ingredient it contains called mica which gives the sheen to the skin...that glowy look.

I tried Cory and Canary minerals which exlude both of the above and I found they clogged my skin up and made it burn. You may do ok with it though..some people have very good luck. You can read lots of reviews on mineral makeup brands on a site called makeupalley (do a search on that) to help you choose the ones that might be worth trying. I hate that feeling of disappointment and hoplelessness when I try something new and it doesn't work for me. I've had ok luck with a makeup powder compact called MakeMeUp Cosmetics (MMU Cosmetiques) - again, do a search - which provides light coverage and is very sheer but looks natural....better for Summer for me though as I need more coverage in the Winter with my Rosacea. It does contain chemicals though so be warned. They do samples very cheaply which allows you to check which colour is right for you as well as well as how you tolerate it. you normally get enough for 3-5 days. They do shadows and blushers too.

Also, there is a brand her called Green People who've just brought out 100% natural, unscented toiletries like cleansers, moisturisers, soaps etc so they may be worth looking into.

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys! I apprecaite it! keep those recs a-coming!! God bless. Love Shelbo :)
  14. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

I must recommend Cetaphil Gentle Face Cleanser.

A few years ago, I had a really hard time finding a cleanser that didn't irritate my skin. (I have really sensitive skin.) I finally found this one, and I love it! I've been using it ever since.

You can buy this at most drugstores or even supermarkets. It comes in a white bottle with a blue label. It's cheap--maybe $6 for a large bottle. A lot of dermatologists recommend this.

I can only use the Cetaphil Gentle Face Cleanser that comes in a bottle with a pump. They also have a bar soap and lotion, but those gave me trouble.

Hope this helps someone!