Could use a different med for depression.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ChungieDolor, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

Wondering if there are any new ones out, that do not have a thousand side effects. I have tried a lot before I was diagnosed with this dd.

Appreciate your comments.

Sincerely feeing fluey
    Chungiedolor
  2. LakeErie

LakeErie New Member

I was on Effexor for years and over years I had to keep upping the dosage. At 300 mg I switched to Cymbalta overnight with no side-effects. I has hoping for more pain relief with Cymbalta as advertised, but I didn't get it.

Good Luck
  3. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

but one that I was on at one point for baby blues was Sarafem (spell). They use it for PMS as well. I had no side effects. I was also able to stop taking it without any withdrawl or weaning.

Just a thought.
  4. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

I am also on Effex and taking Trazodone at night, lowered the dose due to nightwares, but pain is still at a high with all the pain meds I currently take, and I just feel like a black cloud in looming over my head. Like that Zoloft commercial.

Oh, and that horrid time of the month. I feel like a dragon, and have told my doc, but he looks at me, like I have heard this before!

Heard of Cymbalta but not Sarafem (spell) Will ask the doc.
    If I only had a genie!

Thanks
    Chungiedolor
  5. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

Appreciate your responses. I know this has probably been asked a thousand times. Diagnosed with clinical years ago. Heriditary, like all the other conditions I have I believe. Thanks

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  6. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

7. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Sarafem was created for PMS symptoms. It is Prozac, repackaged into a pretty purple and pink capsule. They came out with it just as their patent for prozac was coming to an end. Most insurance companies won't pay for it, they will just give you generic prozac.

HTH, Lisa
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

5-htp is an amino acid which helps your brain produce serotonin. It has none of the awful side effects of prescription anti-depressants.

You should NOT take 5-htp if you are taking an SSRI, as you may produce too much serotonin, whcih is not a good thing.

The 5-htp also helps with sleep. I found the best time for me to take it is in the morning on an empty stomach in divided doses (50 mg. first thing in the morning and 50 mg. before lunch).

Mary