Couldn't Knock Me Out For Endoscopy.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Dec 1, 2006.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Went for an endoscopy yesterday. I was feeling horrible with unbearable nerve haywireness. Like entire system is just damaged to hell.

When the doc came in everything was hooked up and she said "Okay, lets give him 50-2"...whatever that means in regards to the anethesia. The nurse pumped a hypodermic seringe into my hand IV.

We all sat there for awhile. My doc eventually said...how do you feel. I said " Uh, okay, same." Looked around wide awake.
    She and nurse and tech and student looked at each other. I looked at them.

Doctor said, lets give him another dose. Same thing happened.
    She nodded for a third dose. Still not out. Fourth dose and then the procedure went on but I recall being kind of awake and trying to pull the tubes out of my throat alot.

Later on after the doc left, I asked the nurse..." excuse me nurse...but compared to an average patient...how much of that anesthesia did you give me..."

She replied..." enough to kill an average patient!"

Was she joking? I don't know. But I will tell you this. My nerve situation is getting more powerful and constant. I am starting to move like Micheal J. Fox. Twitching my hands face. The nurse got irrritated with me before the procedure as I was silently snapping my fingers up in the air and tapping then on my bed railing. She said..." you have to do that? Does that relieve your nervousness?" I said " yes, it does."
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  2. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I take it for my going crazy nerve feelings all over and feeling sick and fainty...one used to calm things down. Just last few days it seems to work about only 1/2 well as before.

I don't want to have to take more than two of these a day as it is.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

My husband has had 2 similar things...

One happened while having a colonoscopy - they gave him I think 4 or 5 pushes of demerol, didn't work at all on him, so they finally did it anyway since nowadays they do it with flexible tubes (lol)...

afterwards he got up and jumped off the table, the nurse nearly tripped over herself trying to get to him because she expected him to fall. But he was fine, as if he hadn't had anything at all. They couldn't believe it, and pretyt much said the same as your nurse said.

The other problem he'd had was that for years dentists didn't believe that the injections of anesthesia didn't work on him, and so all his dental work was performed in effect without anesthesia until a GP doctor friend told him that some people have an enzyme in them that breaks down the usual stuff they use for dental anesthesia (generically referred to as novocaine even tho it isn't really anymore).

There's some other specific anesthesia that can be used that his body cannot break down, so he's had 'good' dental experiences since.

The kicker was that, when he told his dentist about this, the dentist KNEW about the possibility, but had just not believed that my husband was feeling pain and instead preferred to believe he was being a baby!!!!!!

Hope that makes you feel better about the experience... you are not alone!

all the best,
    Victoria

4. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I'm trying to think of the name of the stuff they gave me...

Just can't. But there were a lot of weird stares at each other for the longest time until the last dose finally kicked in.

Oh, and my GI doc sprayed my throat twice with that stingingly strong peppermint flavored numbing agent.

She did it once and I grimaced like a dog who just licked a lemon...but then I kept right on talking nervously " like that's a nice necklace you're wearing doctor...and did you get that at Target?" She then grabbed her spray bottle again and said " Let's give you another shot just to be sure you are numb enough..." The second squirt went on for the longest time. I couldn't talk much after that one...and she seemed relieved and had a little sadistic smile on her face after that also.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is more than one med they can use to relax and anesthetize patients. It's scary when docs and nurses do what is most convenient for them and not necessarily what is best for their patients.

I'm lucky in that I go out like a light at the first exposure to anesthesia.

I was waiting for my colonoscopy to begin. Everyone was waiting for the doc. The nurse and anesthetist nurse and one other nurse were standing around talking about a German Chocolate cake someone had brought in. They had placed the instrument with the camera behind me on the table. My behind was displayed on the monitor for the world to see. I said, "Geez, you guys are looking at my ass and talking about German Chocolate cake!" (it must have been the Valium talking :) The nurse anesthetist came running over and said, "Time to go to sleep." I've laughed about that many times.

Love, Mikie
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry you are still having a rough go of it and I hope it gets better for you soon.

Those enzymes or lack of are tricky little devils.

I have Pseudocholinesterase Deficiency and found out the hard way I can not be given Succinylcholine for surgeries. A big no, no for me -- my body doesn't break it down like it should.

It was about six years ago my very first time being put under so I was afraid anyway. I can joke about it now but I still have nightmares occasionally. It was the scariest thing I have ever been through.

I was out for over eight hours went into respiratory failure the whole bit have to be put on respirator not much fun. Oh and I when I finally do wake up I was still paralysed and had no idea what was going on.

It is extremely rare and I wear a medical ID bracelet for it because it could kill me. Most physicians never meet anyone with this condition so I usually get "Ah your one of those -- I've read about that."...LOL

A simple blood test will tell if you have this condition but because it is so rare they do not test for it -- just my kind of luck don't ya know!!! :)

I am telling you this for a reason. God forbid you are in an accident and unable to speak -- you see where I am going?

You should really find out the name of the anesthesia, what the condition is called, and get Medical ID bracelet. This is very important it may save you a lot of pain one day.

Take care,

Karen :)
  7. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

That's where this took place.
  8. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

if you take sedative type drugs on a regular basis? I was on strong painkillers and when I had a migraine I took something that was pretty strong and had an allergic reaction, when I was at the ER the nurse said you should be asleep because that drug knocks people out..its sometimes a case of tolerance...like drug addicts being able to take huge doses of drugs that would kill any normal person..btw I am NOT saying you are a drug addict!

I also experienced a similar thing when I went for mri, they tried to sedate me and had to give me 3xs the normal dose to have any effect and said if we give you anymore you will have to have an anaethatist(sp?) I also had endoscopy many years ago and woke up mid procedure so they had to stop.

Probably alot more common that we think.
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

joeb7th:

I have to go for the same procedure (second time for me).
    So far I have had no problems and just jump off the table with no grogginess or anything.

It is so difficult for some of the anasth. people to get levels correctly.

nyrofan
  10. netnut

netnut New Member

I have a 22 year old son who barely takes an aspirin.

This kid has always had weird reactions to anything that is supposed to numb him. When he was small and had to get stitches he would scream and tell us he could still feel it. We assumed he was feeling the tugging. Now we know he was feeling actual pain. He doesnt react to lidocaine or novacaine in the way normal folks do.

He recently had to undergo a colonoscopy due to some rectal bleeding. It took them so much versed to knock him out that he was out of it for quite awhile. He simply doesnt react as normal people do.
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I also had that done 2 yrs. ago and I know I was conscious
    during the entire procedure but just very relaxed. I
    assumed that they only get one totally relaxed rather than
    OUT. Had no problems at All. Had a sigmoid. the same ap-
    parent way as the technician apologized because the mon-
    itor was not working and thus I could not watch as it was
    being done??? Told him that it was OK and that I would
    just wait until it came out on DVD! He thunk that was
    pretty funny, but noticed he didn't take anything off the
    BILL. Told him that they put Pres. Bush out for a similar
    event! He replied "yes, but your med care indicates you'
    re a Democrat! Oh, boy. And it's Sat. Nite??

JOE
  12. jake123

jake123 New Member

I think they gave me a cocktail of Fentanyl, Versed and a muscle relaxant. I was out and when they woke me up, I felt wonderful. I was in no pain for the next three days. I credit the Fentanyl for that.
  13. TKB

TKB New Member

I was given the usual meds (versed, etc.) except that I was awake and taking (much to my doctor's dismay!)...I remember everything about the procedure (watching the screen, asking questions, being turned many times because they couldn't get the scope through my colon, etc.). The doctor kept getting annoyed with me because I kept asking the same questions over and over because I couldn't remember what he just told me because of the versed! (causes amnesia) Most people sleep thought the entire procedure, but I remember just about everything!

As as result of that I am afraid to have another one, or get a GI scope; even cancelled a tilt table test. Did do ok with a recent surgery, though, because I carefully went over everything with the the doctor and anesthiologist.
    Good luck.