Couldn't take it any more - called the pain shrink.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Sep 2, 2005.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Anyone see a counselor for this? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I'll try anything once. What can they do to make this better. I'm depressed because I hurt and can't do anything. I'm depressed because I worked two jobs and went to grad school while taking care of an infant and my degree is now wallpaper - not even stylish wallpaper. I'm depressed because my house looks like it went through the hurricaine. Do you think she will come help clean?

I do have a good sense of humor and smile and laugh with my friends so no one knows I'm a wreck.
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

My heart goes out to you, I know how you feel.

I took part in a cognitive therapy group for pain patients that was facilitated by two psychologists. We were taught some ways to distract from the pain using the imagination and we talked about the importance of pacing and doing relaxation exercises. It was moderately helpful.

I expect one-on-one sessions with a shrink would be more intense & personalized than was the group format, hopefully it will help you cope.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

3. LottieWilkins

LottieWilkins New Member

It's a whole-person disorder; even my insurance company approved long-term counseling as part of my whole treatment plan. Was the most amazing insurance conversation I ever had: them actually *recommending* it, "Well of course," the rep said, "you have a chronic disorder! It's natural that patients need mental health support to cope with it, and even contribute to the effectiveness of other treatments."

It's been a pleasant experience, to get to clear out the cobwebs every week. And if it's not a fit for you, you can always move on to something else.

I'll have to ask mine about the helping with the housework thing. :)
  4. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

what insurance do you have? damn!
  5. LottieWilkins

LottieWilkins New Member

Blue Cross/Blue Shield, with the Inroads Mental Health provider attached. Also, just before I started that the laws in my state added some lesser mental health diagnoses to the list of conditions requiring long-term approval by insurance companies.

Now my counselor just fills out a verification form about once a quarter or twice a year or something that the diagnosis is still accurate. Then the insurance approves 20 more visits, then 20 more. It's in such a nice rhythm now that I don't have to even think about it any more, just go in regularly and pay the copay.

I do feel blessed on this one.