Coxsackie B Virus Infection. Is there a Doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, May 16, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

Doctor thinks I have this infection. I had a very high CRP test along with a rash. So here I am excited that this could be causing my fatique,achy feeling and general feeling like crap. He tells me not to get to excited about this because.....How do we get rid of it? Well don't ask me doc! Do any of the doctors here, Madwolf or Sujay, or Ac77 know anything about how to treat this virus. I am sick to death of this and now that we have pinpointed this to a virus how do we treat. Thanks for any help in this matter.
    Judy

p.s can you guys help me keep this on the front page over the weekend so I will have a better chance at getting a response from Madwolf or another doc. Please bump for me. I sure appreciate it.

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2003]
  2. bakron

bakron New Member

<b>The Coxsackie B viruses</b> are the most common agent for myocarditis through infection and damage of the heart tissue (1% of the population and mostly middle aged men). Fever, fatigue, malaise and chest pains characterize the illness from the B virus.

<b>What Does This Virus Do?</b>

The coxsackie B virus initially replicates in the gut and spleen and eventually spreads to target organs. It may cause cardiac and vascular conditions such as myocarditis; inflammatory conditions such as myositis, pancreatitis, and acute pericarditis; infection and infective conditions such as upper respiratory tract infection; viruses and viral conditions such as Bornholm disease and herpangina. The main target is the heart.

<b>Treatment / Management:</b>

To my knowledge, there is no effective medical treatment for the coxsackie B virus, or for viral myocarditis. I believe that there have been some antiviral medications given in the treatment of the coxsackie A virus, but I'm not aware of any successful treatment with the B. A management approach is to administer anti-inflammatory or immunosuppressive drugs during the early stage of the disease to impair the immune attack and resulting inflammatory response that damages the heart. People with this infection are usually told to rest, as the damaged heart cannot stand up to vigorous activity. In addition, people who have myocarditis should be looking at low sodium diet.

<b>The "Heart" of the Matter:</b>

The "classical" theory of how the heart is affected by the virus is that the virus confuses the body’s defense system. First, the body detects the presence of an enemy using its antigen recognition system. The virus, meanwhile, may mimic the protein structure of the heart muscle, and sometimes, may even inter-act and alter the antigenic configuration there.

When this happens, the body’s defense system, reads the signal incorrectly and sends "killer" white cells to attack and destroy the enemy. The white cells do two things: <b>(1)</b> it fires virus-seeking missiles called antibodies to neutralize Coxsackie B and remove it from the battle field, and <b>(2)</b> the white cells also attack the wrong target and may cause cardiac damage. Not only will it cause "killer" white cells to fire missiles at the wrong target, there is evidence that the virus will also directly infect the tissue of the organ involved.

<b>Prevention? </b>

While coxsackie virus infections cannot be prevented when a person is exposed, they can be <b>controlled</b> through sanitary measures. As a fecal-orally transmitted virus, improving sanitation and thoroughly washing hands can limit spread of the virus. In addition, disinfecting with chlorine bleach will kill the virus in restroom areas and other areas where contamination is possible.

<b>Link to CFS?:</b>

Please see this page on ImmuneSupport.com - http://www.immunesupport.com/library/cfstreatment.cfm/ID/3658
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

now I see why the doctor was not excited that he thinks I have this. Now what? should I see a cardiologist? "It's always something!"
    thank you for the info! Madwolf is there any hope for me? :)
    Judy
  4. bakron

bakron New Member

You are most likely following up with your physician for your situation, and your physician should be regularly evaluating you for any cardiac problems.

If you have been diagnosed with high BP, have been told that you have a "murmur", had an abnormal EKG and/or cardiac stress test, had abnormal cardiac labs, or any one or more of these. . than I would say that you should be under the care of a good internal medicine doc and/or cardiologist. It would be good to address the question of how your heart is doing with your physician and go from there.
  5. sujay

sujay New Member

We wish we could be more help. Bakron has done a good job describing what we know about coxsackie, and what you can do to address it. Like with most other viruses, plenty of fluids, rest and good nutrition will help support your immune system as it battles this pathogen. It’s also important to prevent too much stress on the heart if this is an active infection.

I must be starting to sound like a broken record, but if this virus has stimulated over-production of coagulation factors, addressing those might help your immune system battle the virus more effectively. (Run a search on hypercoagulation on this site for more information.) I must reiterate that it is very important to work closely with your physician.

Good luck,
    Sujay
  6. judywhit

judywhit New Member

looks like I have my work cut out for me :(
    thanks again for all the info and input.
    Judy