CPAP machine for sleep problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rpatzer, Mar 20, 2007.

1. rpatzer

rpatzer New Member

I keep reading where many suffer from sleep/oxygen problems. Has anyone tried the C-PAP machine which hooks up to your head and inserts air into the body? It is a remedy for sleep apnea.
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

Yes! Two of my docs kept insisting I go for a sleep study. I am a slender woman who had no reason to believe I had sleep apnea (nor did my hubby). I finally went just to appease these docs.

To my shock and surprise, turns out I do have mild sleep apnea. I started on my CPAP first of January this year. At first, I didn't notice any difference. My rheumy says it takes a few weeks because people with sleep apnea are suffering from sleep deprivation. Anyhow, he was RIGHT! I am down to sleeping only 9 to 10 hours per night now with NO NAPS (was sleeping 10 to 14 hours a day including a nap). It's been a miracle. I may not have the energy to do anything physical, but at least I can read (if I'm not suffering brain fog), do research, talk on the phone, watch TV, or whatever!!! I feel alive again!

TerryS
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Yes, I have sleep apnea and have been on a cpap machine for almost 4 years.

4. rpatzer

rpatzer New Member

Are you also saying that more O2 gives you better sleep and also reduces FM symptoms? If so, would FMers benefit by wearing O2 apparatus during the day?
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

cpap stands for continuouse positive airway pressure

if a person has obstructive sleep apnea, their throat closes up when they sleep, making them cease to breathe.
    It's important to get it treated, it can lead to increased risks of heart attacks and strokes, etc it's actually considered a co-morbidity.

I didn't mean to mislead anyone, I guess I misunderstood the question because I do have sleep apnea. Guess it was a foggy moment, I didnt realize rpatzer meant anything different.

After the sleep study, I went back for another one so they could see what level to set the cpap at to keep my airway open.

I do have sleep apnea--I don't know if anyone uses it who does not have sleep apnea.

It does seem to be a common problem with FMS and CFS to also have sleep apnea. It takes a sleep study for that diagnosis.

Strangley enough, I didn't think I had sleep apnea! Turns out I did.

You do have to have a prescription for a cpap machine.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2007]
  6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

There are alternative treatments besides cpap for sleep apnea, I think it is recommended because it has a high success rate.

There are also surgeries for sleep apnea, although I was told it's not appropriate for every patient.

I know one man who had a trach put in (don't think I'd want to go that route myself!) that is permanent.

There are also mouthpieces (sometimes called snore guards)that can be made that is effective with some people. I had one for made because I have tmj, if I wear it alone without the cpap it doesn't stop me from having the apnea episodes, but I understand it does work for some.