CPAP Machine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Mar 3, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I was diagnosed with FM/CFS about 4 to 5 years ago...downhill ever since. I had a sleep study done a few weeks ago and now I found out I will have to wear a CPAP machine when I sleep - I got fitted for one last night.

I'm 41. I have rheumatoid arthritis, depression, FM/CFS, and now a sleep disorder. My purse is full of pill bottles instead of makeup. I have gained over 100 pounds.

I don't know much longer I can take this. I'm a single mom (my kids are teenagers), but what are the odds I will find a man who will put up with all of this?

Sorry - I happen to be PMSing at the time too - I just had to vent somewhere where people like me could understand.
  2. nixon

nixon New Member

I'm sorry to hear about what's going on with you, were you diagnosed w/Sleep Apnea? I know you aren't gonna wanna hear this but, IF you could try to lose some weight, that MAY help with the sleep problems.

I've also gained extra weight from a.d.s,'s NO FUN!! You would be surprised about finding a man to put up with all the issues! I've got a friend with ALOT of health probs., her hubby left her a few yrs. ago when she was dx. w/vulvar cancer. She has recently met a wonderful man who loves her despite ALL her health problems!! What a guy!! She's happier than she's been in a long time, even though she still has female cancer issues, RSD,etc!etc!
    So, NEVER give up hope! I hope you get to feeling better. Andrea
  3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Andrea my diagnosis wasn't exactly sleep apnea - it was hypopnea...something that means shallow breathing that causes my oxygen levels to drop dramatically. In my 6 hour test, I had 127 episodes - that is NOT a typo. No wonder I'm tired and becoming stupid - lol!!!

I think I posted somewhere on this board before about losing weight and it's so hard when I'm too tired to clean the house let alone exercise. But then exercise would help me. It's like being between a rock and a hard place.

Just before I was diagnosed with this disease - I was running 5 miles a day, lifting weights 3 days a week and competing in local long-distance running races. I was even just about to begin training for a marathon.

Now I'm grossly obese and full of health problems.

But Thanks Andrea on telling me about your friend with the health problems. I guess there is hope for me.

P.S. - I take 600 mg of Lyrica a day and I'm sure that was part of the culprit - other then the fact I just like FOOD!!
  4. nixon

nixon New Member

I understand about being too tired to clean the house LOL...I haven't been able to do much(barely any!!) for quite awhile!

Pain has been my biggest issue lately...and sllep issues...sleeping too much, or barely sleeping at's crazy!

Wow, you used to be majorly into exercise & staying healthy! I was never like that , but I was always on the go, and a workaholic! You couldn't keep me down. After my Fibro DX, along with female problems, I can barely "get up"!! Even taking a shower wears me out!! Most people don't understand that( the ones who are healthy, no major health issues). Does taking all that Lyrica help you much? I only take it at night, as it makes me dizzy and nausceous.
  5. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I was diagonoised with sleep apenea and have to be on the machine. I hate it and I have had a hard time getting use to it. I rip the mask off during the night I have only made all the way trhough the night only a couple of the times. I have the full mask as I am a mouth breather. What I have read is that if you can be good about it it could help you loose weight. Look up on internet. If you are on Lycria I would talk to your doctor about weight gain as that is hard on and can cause other difficulties. There may be surgery that can help you but I know with sleep apenea they give a low percentage of success. I don't know what else I can say other I feel for you.
  6. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I have been a "hosehead" LOL! since last summer. I am 47. I have spinal cord issues,FM,arthritis,depression caused from pain, sciatica,and the list goes on! I was 140 lbs when i started taking lyrica unfortunately it made my pain worse, after trying several meds., i have still to find one that helps me. I have gained weight also. I'm now at 204,I am 5'7. So I know how you are feeling.
    I am divorced,have 2 grown children and 4 grandbabies.
    Going threw menpause on top of it.
    I was always a active person too. I am lucky to be able to walk most days,riding in a car about kills me. But i have to do things so i am not so stiff. It hurts,but i have to keep moving. Massage if you can afford it does give me some relief and a chiro. I take Tylenol on a daily basis and tylenol pm when i go to bed.
    It will take time for you to feel some relief with your CPAP. And it will take time to get use to the mask. DON"T give up on it. I still feel as though i have not gotton restful sleep. Our bodies need to catch up to the sleep we have lost over the yrs. They say it will come.
    My boyfriend has been with me threw all my surgeries and medical problems the last 4 yrs., he could have decided to leave me,but he chose to stay. If someone loves you they will love you no matter what! He has proven that to me. You will find that person. I promise.
    I will be here if you need to talk more about CPAP or whatever. Hang in there.
    Hugs, Robin