Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Mar 27, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Last message tonight - I promise.

I was just wondering if anyone else here used a CPAP machine. When I wake up and take my mask off, it is really painful. I'm wondering if maybe I have it too tight, or it is just related to my fibro.
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I'm guessing too tight, I have that same problem. But if you don't have it tight you get leaks....aaaarrrrggghhhh!

Trick I learned, loosen your mask to a comfortable fit, and if you have any leaks dab a bit of vaseline in the area to create a seal.

Good luck,
  3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Hey Thanks Deb - I just got my machine a few days ago. Was it a great help for your fatigue?
  4. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

i am new to the cpap machine also 6 weeks. i struggled with the full mask for 5 weeks, it seemed like a job working with it all night. last week i got a new one designed just for women. it is not the full mask but just for the nasal area and the straps are very light and comfortable. what a difference it has made for me, dont feel like i am fighting with it all night. except last night i did do alot of mouth breathing so defeats purpose will have to use a chin strap if i continue to do that alot. not sure if you are using the full face one or what but that is my experience with it. and for the fatigue i havent noticed much difference i was told i would right away but have not. i am so exhausted so much of the time but still hopeful! Hope it helps you both with the fatigue!
  5. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

still tired after many months:(

6. dehart

dehart New Member

Texasrose & others - have you had an overnight oxymeter test WITH your cpap? I use a ByPAP by the way - same machine, but the air pressure is reduced a bit on the breathing out part, I couldn't breath thru the higher pressure of the CPAP). Anyway, I've been on it about 4 yrs & was still so fatigued I could hardly function & along with other stressors, lack of a restful sleep wasn't helping me. My dr. decided to do an overnight oxymeter with my ByPAP. Results were: 80% of the test time my oxygen level was below 80%! That's really scary. My dr. about fainted & ordered a concentrator for me that day. Got it hooked up to my ByPAP, did another test - results were oxygen level over 95% throughout test time! It has made a big difference.

But even with all that, I'm never fully rested with the Fibro, I can sleep any time day or night. Just retired & am doing a lot of "napping". Hope this helps someone.
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I could not tolerate the mask at all. It made my skin red and swollen and prickly.

I changed to a nasal pillows system, called The Breeze, and was able to be 100% compliant right away. I have to use a chin strap, due to mouth breathing, which I hate, but it is still a vast improvement. My apnea index went from 29 per hour down to 2 per hour and has stayed there for more than two years now.

I have more energy, much deeper sleep, and much less fibro pain, but I still have Lyme Disease, so this has not been "the answer" for me.

Hint: To make nasal pillows feel completely like natural breathing, order one size larger than they tell you you need.

8. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

Can you describe it, how it works and where you get one? Thanks TN
  9. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I think I got this right...but the nasal pillows are...cushions of latex that rest under your nose. They are attached to a tube that runs across your cheeks, and then to the head strap.

This mask is truly the most comfortable but if you are a restless sleeper this may not work for you.