CPAP Users: Do You Use Tap Water or Bottled Water in Yours?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 22, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

There is another post going on now about what type of water do you drink.

Well, this got me to wondering what type of water do you put in your CPAP warming unit.

Do you use your tap water, or buy bottled water to put in it?

Same goes for oxygen concentrator humidifier units, too.

I buy bottled water to put in my warming humidifer unit to my CPAP machine as well as for the humidifer to my oxygen concentrator.

I only do this because the place that installed it told me to!! The guy said something to the effect that "you don't want to breathe all that chlorine and stuff that's put into your tap water into your lungs, do you?"

Thanks,
    Janet
  2. Musica

Musica New Member

The info sheet from the medical supplier stresses distilled water. I know someone who uses the same machine and uses bottled water. It would seem to me that bottled water is at least better than tap water, and sufficient. A jug of distilled water is cheap, though, and lasts quite a long time. I change it once a week.
  3. nanswajo

nanswajo New Member

I was told, also, to use distilled. My guess is that the minerals in non-distilled water gum up the mechanisms. They say to change every day, but I also do it about once a week and that works fine.

Nancy
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

My provider said to use distilled water or boil the tap water first to remove the chlorine and stuff.

I try to keep distilled water but if I run out I boil some and use that, letting it cool some before putting it in the humidifier.
  5. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

I was told to only use distilled water. If you use tap water, you will be breathing in chlorinated mist which couldn't possibly be healthy. I also was told to change the water nightly and to rinse the mask, hose, and container nightly and to clean with white vinegar water occasionally. Hope this helps!

Pam
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I have had my CPAP for 2 or 3 years now.

Do you know that I was told NOTHING about what type of water to use in the warmer unit when I received it!

I had been putting tap water in it for a long time when someone I was talking with said that they used bottled water due to the chlorine in the tap water.

That made sense, so I started using the bottled water.

NOW, THANKS TO YOU GUYS, I WILL BE PUTTING DISTILLED WATER IN IT!!!

Thanks soooooo much for informing me! I hope it's not too late and my machine is not damaged!

Janet
  7. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Yes I was also told only to use distilled water so it doesn't gum up the machine and it's better for you to breathe.

I was also told to ditch the water in the morning and put new water in every night. :))

Hope this helps

gail
  8. tilla

tilla New Member

If you don't use distilled water the minerals will cause the machine to not last as long. It works the same as your iron does.

Tilla
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like an iron, steamer, or humidifier should only have distilled water added. Hard minerals in tap water can ruin these appliances.

Love, Mikie
  10. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I use only distilled water as written in the instructions that came with the machine. I also clean everything out with warm mild soapy water once a week and let it dry really good.