CPP DENIED

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momblue, Nov 2, 2007.

1. momblue

momblue New Member

Hi All! I just got the phone call today that I have been denied Canada Pension Disability Plan. I guess I knew I would get denied the first time. But I had such hopes! I know I am disabled by this fibro. I know I am entitled to the $. I also know that it is their job to say no, and my job to fight it.
    I just feel so beaten.
    Thanks for hearing me.
    momblue
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 11/03/2007</i>]
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

I am from ON Canada also. I was also denied CCPP. It is a given that they will turn you down. Did you apply for ODSP? ( Ontario Disability Support Program). I don't know if you know how the system works. If you do I am sorry if not this will help you out. You are supposed to apply for both at the same time. CPP is less money. If by some fluke you were accepted by both then the money from CPP would be deducted from ODSP. So long story short you would end up with the same amt. of money. You can apply direct to ODSP or if you are receiving home care they have a social worker who can help you. Anyways you will need tons of documentation. It only took about 10 weeks for my approval. There is an interview. For me they came to my place because at the time I couldn't get out. IF I can be of further help please let me know. I have been on it for 3 years.
    Cath
  3. maps

maps New Member

Application for cpp was mandatory by my insurance company.

I applied years ago and was turned down, my insurance company cut me off after a year. I fought that and won but part of the re-instatement was that appeal the cpp decision, which I did. It has to be at least two years ago.

I finally got a hearing date and went with my son and my lawyer which was a total waste of time because the tribunal did not have the updated medical information and so it was postponed. This was in the spring and I still don't have a new date.

In some respect I want it to be delayed as I sometimes think the only reason the insurance has not cut me off again is the fact they are waiting for the cpp back payments.

regards
    maps
  4. caffey

caffey New Member

ODSP has a web site that will answer all your questions. It is under the Ministry of Community and Social services. Long story short it is easier to get ODSP than CPP. It is also more money than CPP. I have a condo with a mortgage. As long as you don't sell your place you are ok. You are allowed to keep $5000 in your bank account and then amt. of money you get per month depends on how much money he makes etc. Also with ODSP you are allowed to recieve up to $5000 a year tax free in gifts and they have a program if you can work a bit and they don't deduct it. Check it out. All the best.
    Cath
  5. maps

maps New Member

Not sure if you have drug coverage but if you don't look in to the Trillium Drug Plan.

This is also offered by the government and is based on your income.

I did not know anything about these things until I was hospitalized after my insurance cut me off. The first thing the psch. doc. asked was where was I getting money from, I had none.

He immediately wrote a letter and sent me to social services office with a social worker. They immediately put me on social assistance and applied for ODSP which I recieved within weeks.

I and the bank also own a home although I don't have a partner.

Good luck

regards
    maps
  6. momblue

momblue New Member

Thank you both for this information! :)
  7. maps

maps New Member

I don't know why they should expect someone else to financially support us.

Hope things get better for you.

regards
    maps
  8. momblue

momblue New Member

This very morning CPDP called to tell me that my appeal has been denied. The lady told me that they know I cannot do my previous job, but that I can probably find another one.
    I knew they might/would say no again, but it still surprised me! Damn them!
    I'm scared, and I feel like I am being challeged, my word I mean. Why the hell would I wait for 2 years, and live so day to day financially? Do they think I am trying to scam them?
    Sad and worried,
    momblue
  9. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

but I also applied for ODSP and I was denied ODSP twice and went to the tribunal and won my case...and a few months later i also got approved for CPP....so if you have not already done so apply for ODSP and also get a lawyer this is who really helped me win both my cases...being in Ontario, Canada you can obtain a lawyer through legal aid and there is no cost for them......
    good luck.

love to all, Ann
  10. coolma

coolma New Member

It took me 2-1/2 years to get covered on CPP. That is so inhumane, but it is our reality. I agree, ODSP seems to be easier to get. You just cannot quit. If more documentation is required, get it.
    I did not get coverage under the title "Fibromyalgia" which is what I have. Rather, I got covered under other umbrellas, depression, degenerative disc disease and arthritis. These are things "they" can "see". It was 13 years ago, but I don't think things have changed much.
    Fibro really needs a big boost in awareness levels, our Government included!
    I am so glad I did not give up in my efforts to get covered. It is the rest of yourlife you are dealing with, so it is worth the battle. Good luck!
  11. momblue

momblue New Member

No, I do not qualify for ODSP as I live with my b/f, I've already checked into that. I am now trying to figure out The Trillium Drug Plan.
    My lawyer (from LTD suit) gave me the name of a paralegal guy to call. I'm going to at least talk to him and see what he says. He is about 4.5 hours drive from me (Pickering On), so it must be a mail/fax thing...
    I know from reading others here, that 2 years into this trouble is not so unheard of..... its just so hard to deal with some days, kind of like this diesease! The stress of this is tiring, as many of you all know.
    Thanks,
    momblue
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/02/2008</i>]
  12. caffey

caffey New Member

I;m not prying and don't want to know but what does having a boyfriend have to do with it? A friend of mine is on ODSP and is married. Someone's suggestion about applying to Trillium Drug Plan is right on. You get the forms from your local pharmacy. Bottom line, the system works it is great, when it doesn't it is a nightmare.
    All the best.
    Cath
  13. momblue

momblue New Member

The b/f is the reason I won't get ODSP, as they count his income as well.
    I am in contact with a paralegal who will try to help with my CPP battle.
    tc
  14. caffey

caffey New Member

I have a friend who is on ODSP and is married. He doesn't get as much being married but he still gets something. A little bit is better than nothing. Have you used up your E.I. benefits? Don't forget to apply to Trillium for your drugs in the mean time. You can pick up the application at any pharmacy.
    All the best.
    Cath
  15. lindaJRP

lindaJRP New Member

Hi l was recently denied by odsp by letter in the mail after an 7 month wait.......who should l contact a lawyer or someone else to get odsp?? does anyone know a good site or info l can use to help get what l need??&lt;BR&gt;