Cracks in fingers - Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Feb 4, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Does anyone have any good solutions for cracks in the fingertips? These happen right by the top corner of my fingernail. They are always worse in the winter with the dry weather. They really hurt!

I have tried lots of lotions, heavy duty hand cremes, vaseline, Neosporin ointment and a product called "Crack Creme". None worked.

The best thing I've found so far is Super Glue, but that just doesn't seem right! It stops it from hurting, but there just has to be something wrong with that solution! Suggestions?

Katy
  2. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

Have you tried the "corn Huskers Lotion"? You can buy this at most stores and it seems to help.

Hope you find relief soon,
    Lindy
  3. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

May sound weird but it worked for my husband.We would save bread bags and at night would coat his finget tips with vaseline,neosporin or anything deep soothing cream for cracked skin,then wrap the bags around his hands at night and during the night his hands would sweat in the bags and soften of the dry skin.It really helped.
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

I have very dry skin on my hands. It is a constant battle and my cuticles split the instant I stop paying attention.
    I have some heavy cream called Cetaphil in a jar. I've also used just Vasaline. I have a hot paraffin dip. I use Creme Abricot by Dior. There is a cuticle oil by Sally Hansen that works pretty good. I also have one that my sister gave me (don't know the name of). But nothing will help if you have it and let it sit there on the shelf.
    I have also used Cotton Blossom cream from the Body Shop, anything that is very thick is good.
    My feet get dry also so I use all this on my feet also! Consistence pays off so try to stay with it.
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Katy,
    My husband uses this all the time and I have tried it and it works!! It is called Nexcare Skin Crack Care and is made by 3M. It is in a bottle like nail polish, but goes on and it dries in a few minutes. The pain stops and you can put another coat on over that. You do have to put it on off and on throughout the day if you wash your hands a lot.

But for paper cuts and things like that it is fabulous! Comes in a box and I think the pharmacist would be able to show you where it is.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

I do have some skin glue that I bought for my husband once when he was chopping something and cut himself. It comes in two tiny applicators. I would think this would work just fine for this problem.
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Awesome suggestions! Now I have lots of things to try besides Super Glue!

lindy2 - Corn Huskers lotion is what my dear old dad used to use on his hands back in Wisconsin. I haven't thought of that for YEARS! Thanks for the warm fuzzy memory! My dad was pretty smart, so I'll have to give it a try.

sheila1366 - The vaseline/neosporin and bread bag solution is an interesting one. Soft hands for a husband can be a real plus! I sleep with my hands by my face, so I'm not sure how well that would work for me! LOL! I'll keep it on the list, though!

fight4acure - I do take Vit E daily. Haven't tried the aloe & Vit E lotion. Avon Skin-so-soft - there's another Wisconsin memory! As I recall, that's also good for keeping mosquitos away! Lucky me, I don't have that problem any more out here in Colorado. No mosquitos out here! Ohhhh, I see you said the Avon Skin-so-soft BATH OIL. That's a little different. Does that mean I'd have to find an Avon lady? Vicks as in Vicks Vapo-Rub? I think I actually have some of that on hand (well, not yet, but soon - LOL)

jake123 - Hot paraffin dip sounds like I'd have VERY soft hands. I've thought about getting one of those gizmos. I LOVE your statement "But nothing will help if you have it and let it sit there on the shelf." HAHAHA! Good one! Very true!! Thanks for the Sat night laugh!

ilovecats94 - I've never heard of Nexcare Skin Crack Care by 3M. Sounds great! Sounds like Super Glue, but bona fide for hands. I'll have to look for it.

Stormyskye - Now I'll have to find an Avon lady AND a Mary Kay lady! I do have one or two teeny tiny wrinkles. Okay, maybe more than that. Pink goop. It's on the list.

Looks like a trip to Wal-Mart is on tomorrow's agenda. Thank you all so much for your suggestions!

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2006]
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Katy,
    I am a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant and I have never heard of any pink goop. Sure would like to know the correct name of the stufff. Would it be the Extra Emollient Night Cream, which is like a redish vaseline type of oinment? Stormyskye, is that what you are thinking about?

The Nexcare Skin Crack Care is much, much better because it actually seals the cut so there is no pain at all. I have tried it myself and I had a painful paper cut and hubby gave me some to use and it was wonderful!

Hugs,
    Faye
    The Extra Emollient Night Cream is made by Mary Kay, BTW. ;-)[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2006]
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

they are cracked but dont hurt - yet.

I've started keeping a big tub of Cocoa Butter by my made and I put loads on at night before I go to sleep.

I think putting creams on and wearing light gloves or bags is a good idea. I read that if you wear gloves with cream inside then it allows the cream to soak in.

love
    Rosie
  10. noenergy

noenergy New Member

Hi Katy,

I have the same problem. I haven't been able to find a lotion that keeps them from cracking yet but will be trying some of the ones mentioned in your replies.

I also use Super Glue. It seems to be the only thing that lasts until the cut is healed. If you find something better please do post it, since I would love to give it a try.

Jane
  11. CooBax

CooBax New Member

Hi Guys,

I used to have these nasty cracks that hurt like crazy...i found in my drugstore a product called DERMA CARE. It comes in a white and green container. It is with the skin care stuff. It will get rid of all cracks. If you use it everyday you wont get cracks back. I live in Canada so am not sure if the States have it. DERMA CARE has stuff for fingers and feet ....it is great!

Any more questions just ask.

Lesley
  12. maria7

maria7 New Member

I have horrible problems with deep cracks on my heels. They would bleed when I walk and be very painful. I found out about a product called Amlactin, it's available over the counter (used to be prescription). It has saved my feet! It has lactic acid in it, and significantly speeds up cell turnover so that the area heals. You have to use it religiously AM and PM, but I guarantee it will work! Good luck, finger cracks sound painful...
  13. deb06

deb06 New Member

I can't recommend "nail glue" enough for this purpose. I couldn't live without it. It is not harsh as the superglue, but that does work in a pinch. It is the only thing that has worked for me and works so very well. Takes the pain right away and it keeps it completely covered and free of bacteria until it heals. Luv it, let me know- but please try it! Deb
  14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thank you all for giving me so many good suggestions. I now have LOTS of things to try. I appreciate that you've given me good immediate relief solutions, as well as methods to keep the cracks from happening in the first place.

You guys rock! Thank you!!!!!

Katy
  15. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I didn't have cracks, but my hands have been painfully dry, lips cracked, and in general skin very dry. Nothing seemed to help.

I tried "Rescue Cream" by Bach from my food coop. (Ever hear of Rescue Remedy? Same company.) It soothed my hands and very dry cuticles, and healed up my cracked lips.

Another idea is Bag Balm. Sometimes used by nursing mothers for cracked nipples. Also used for very dry, cracked hands.

Good luck. Sounds like you now have a huge selection to choose from.
    Hopeful4