Cracks on heels, feet and hands, embarassing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, Oct 25, 2010.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I am using everything, every cream I have and can buy.

I believe it's an overactive immune system, is it? My feet hurt from the cracks, the skin is very dry and discolored.

anyone else with this problem?
  2. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I keep forgetting about cod liver oil..that may work. It all got worse in the summer wearing the flip-flops and in the Winter I wear Clarks clog shoes with the heel out. I can't do that anymore, it created the problem.

My hands have it though, too.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Jamin - My mom had the same problem with the compression stockings when she first started wearing them after her hip surgery.
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Our body's need healthy fats. Fat does not make you fat. High glycemic index carbs do.

Avocado, cod liver, fish oils et al.
    Don't over oil your body either.

The heart uses fat for fuel. Karen Carpenter went on a liquid protien diet, it damaged her heart, she died. per her brother Richard Carpenter.

Most of my Mexican customers that I visit in Mexico eat lots of pork fat, they are quite skinny and healthy. Pork fat is too large of a crystal to be absorbed effectively by the intestines.

Raw avocado is high in lipase, a fat digesting enzyme. Very healthy, very natural. Can we say guacamole! Aye que saborosa! Ole!
  5. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi Kellygirl, a couple years ago I went to a dermatologist for a rash on my thigh and while the Dr was looking at that he looked down at my cracked heals ands said you do know that those cracked .dry heals are caused by a fungus dont you? i was stunned and said I had no idea and they had been that way for many many years and i had tried everything over the counter and all kinds of home remedies without and long term help. The dr. said it will continue and probabely continue to crack deeper and possibly get some bad secondary infections if I didnt get them treated. He precribed a medication a creme for them that worked wonders and I havent had the problem since. I can look back and find out the name of the med if your interested. I had had that problem for most of my adult life and always blamed it on going barefoot so much of the time indors and out. haha and all that time it was a fungal infection.there wasnt any redness or anthing just deep cracks up both heels and dry and somtimes itchy. It was amazing that he would pick up on that and thats not i even went to see him about. Let me know if you want the name of the medicine and i will look it up for you.I do remeber I had to use it for at least 2 months to clear it up completely. God Bless and take care.... Becky
  6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

You weren't the first to suggest that. I wonder if that's why the mentolated ointment seems to work the best (Vicks). I have read that it has been found to clear up fungus on toenails. I just found that it is very soothing, too.

I would like to know the name of the prescription, if you have it and it's not too much trouble to find.

7. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I use this on my dry cracked heels. It works for me, but then again, they may not be as bad as what you are experiencing. Purchased at wal-mart for a small price. Makes mine soft. I also use the ped egg to rub off any rough areas then put on the heel tastic afterwards.

8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I had that problem for a long time; resolved it in several ways. First, I make sure I go for regular pedicures every month and have them use callous gel (no razors though). It's five dollars extra, but well worth it.

Then, I use a product on my feet and heels from Bath and Body works for feet--comes in a blue tube. It's a bit pricey at $15 a tube but worth it. The Gold Bond in the blue tube is not bad either nd half the price, but I really do think the Bath and Body Works is the best. And it has to be slathered on as soon as you step out of the bath or the shower and towel dry your feet. Your feet will be at their worst if you do not apply the lotion right after water touches them.

Hope this helps.
  9. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Thanks for all the responses, I will definitely try them. I emailed my doctor for his suggestion, too. Still have not heard anything.
  10. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Sorry its taken a while to get back to you but life has been a little crazier than usual lately here. the name of the medication I took for the cracked heels was Econazole 1% cream 30 gm tube(generic for Spectazole) applied twice daily. Hope this helps. God Bless Becky
  11. Tizz

Tizz New Member

I've found that what works best for me is Carmol Cream 40, something that my podiatrist prescribed. (Don't try to figure out what the ingredients are, though...)

Tizz[This Message was Edited on 11/05/2010]
  12. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I emailed my doctor to order a prescription, but he told me I have to come in for an appointment, so I scheduled one. I will let you know what he says....thanks!
  13. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I went to the doctor and it is athlete's feet. I must've picked it up when camping and using the public showers though I wore shower shoes. He suggested the beach shoes that cover the whole foot when I camp.

I have a prescription cream with pills to fight it inside and outside.

I used the tube up in 3 days and it was supposed to be sparingly. I told them my feet were so bad I just slabbed it on...LOL

They called the dr. and he said refill it, so I have only one more refill left.

I never want to go through this again....thankfully, he said it had nothing to do with wearing backless shoes like my Clarks clogs. They are so comfortable!
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Omega 3 rich fish oil pills are healthy for the heart and help to keep the body "oiled" from the inside out. According to my eye doc, not all fish oil capsules are equal. He said the cheap ones aren't as good as ones which are "pharmaceutical grade." I have to take them because the oil glands around my eyes are not working and it is leading to dry eye. I also have to put hot compresses on my eyelids and massage them. This type of dry eye, along with a lot of other symptoms, including dry skin, could be symptoms of Sjogren's Syndrome. My doc is running tests to try to rule it in or out.

I'm finding I have pain in the eustachian tubes and it feels like horrible earaches. The lymph nodes in my face, under my chin, and in my underarm area are painful. I've been putting hot compresses on those areas too and massaging them.

Very dry skin and hair can be symptoms of thyroid problems too. Dryness, by itself, seems to be just another inconvenient symptom but if there are other newer symptoms present, it could be a new condition.

Love, Mikie