Crafters what are you making for the holidays?By Kimba #2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shirl, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Continued ... Page 2 of 2 of the Original Post:
    kimba4318

On a lighter note... Crafters what are you making 4 the HOLIDAYS? 11/12/06 11:04 AM

homesheba

i 11/14/06 10:42 PM

also make those light things to give!
    and they always go over well.
    old large jars or light fixtures that you can close up the top
    once you fill in with christmas things
    , beads, shell, whatever,
    and enclose christmas lights-
    either white or different colors and then put fancy bow or something on top with light end coming out long enough to plug in a socket
    and voila!!

it can be changed to whatever season holiday there is..

also am painting large rocks with lighthouse and scripture verse or their last names,
    and also doing jewerly, and wreaths from left over christmas tree places they let you have or buy the branches that are cut off.
    wreaths are wonderful.
    and also with the lights up above-
    dont forget the poporri inside jar,
    the heat gives off the sent.
    love the ideas here
    and will be using many! thanks!!

BACK | REPLY - EDIT - DELETE - BAN

elastigirl

Crocheting 11/15/06 05:30 AM

I've been crocheting like crazy. Finished two hats & matching scarves, almost done with another set, will do a special-request set for my son.

I'm also working on a large, super-warm throw (between throw and afghan size.)

Am contemplating making a shawl, too. We'll see :)!

texasmaia

christmas.... 11/15/06 04:19 PM

there is bound to be more....

kimba4318

texasmia - 11/15/06 05:27 PM

I'm with ya - sooo many talented ppl here. I am so impressed

manaleon

crafts 11/15/06 06:07 PM

I'm a horticulture major so i decorate live wreaths with a variety of things.
    Victorian Wreath- German Statice, Glass Berry Balls and Pine Cones
    Mixed Green- Pine Cones,Juniper, White Pine, Pieris, and Holly(basically nice looking greens you would find in the woods of north east america)
    Glitzy- Glass Berry Balls, Pine Cones, Shinny Ribbons, and anything else shinny......

And Nice Center Pieces are also easy to make with plants you can find in the woods....
    Take a piece of Oasis(the squishy foam you find in flower arrangements) and put it into a bowl, dish, pot,etc...that you want. Fill it in using boxwood, ands then put in randomly, pieris, white pine, berry balls, ect to deck it up.

the other thing i do are died arangements. you can find twig hearts, swags, bird houses, angels, balls at craft stores and then hot glue dried flowers and plant material to it.

tips...make sure you carry the plant material, other materials through the whole arrangement, meaning if u have a berry ball on one side, make sure you have a berry ball on the other side to visually balance it out.

also, avoid straight lines- the stop the eye from moving
    make sure the bow's in proportion to the product and palnt material.
    make sure the plant material points outward

lol that's all i can think of for now

-June

mnlady

machine embroidery and also Rice bags 11/16/06 08:10 AM

It's me again...

I have had such shoulder and neck pain lately that I have decided to make one of those rice bags that you can heat in the microwave before putting on your neck.

What nice Christmas gifts they would make! I hope I get to it today because I need one for myself ASAP.

Also, I see some of you have embroidery machines. I have one and love it, though it could be a bit easier to use. I can do it fine but it takes a lot of prep time.

Thanks for all of the wonderful tips you gals have.

Debbie in Minnesota

matthewson

Wow, good post Kim! 11/16/06 08:38 AM

I made a bunch of purses made from placemats for my daughter's wedding shower and they were a big hit! So I am making some more for Christmas gifts. They only take about 1/2 hour and cost about 4-5 dollars to make depending on the price of the placemat. I found some really cute ones on clearance at Bed, Bath and Beyond for 99cents.

I also am knitting scarfs. I love the scarfs with eyelash yarn in them.

Take care, Sally

Fibrobutterfly

WOW you gals are amazing 11/16/06 08:51 AM

I go into a Michaels craft store and wander through but don't know where to start. Does anyone have an easy starter craft to make? Craft dummy here but a crafter wanna be.

lovethesun

Kimba on your wood snowflakes 11/16/06 09:06 AM

use some cheap glitter nailpolish instead of glitter.It goes on much better and looksss professional.Linda

lovethesun

I think wooden boxes or crosses 11/16/06 09:21 AM

whatever takes your whimsy are an easy starter craft,...Just paint with the little bottles of acrylic paints(caution,brushes are cheap but get one that won't lose bristles in the paint}

here's another actually two

1.Get a wooden cross with no ridge2, paint it and3 put those big glass rocks that are for vases on the cross with tacky glue-about 10 minutes to make.

Get a wooden cross with ridges ,paint white and using tacky glue put the3 sided things that are used for candy canes onthe cross.
    Do this put tacky glue on a 3 inch area or so and pour on the beads pushing them tight together.It looks beautiful-if anybody wants to try I'll put up the picture.Linda

sisland

Lot's 11/16/06 12:51 PM

of great ideas here! I like making candy , cookies , pot holders and Now Soap! Try to make up a gift basket for each person on the list! With special things that they like!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mostly homemade gifts since i'm poor! Lol Lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh also i make this Hot Sweet mustard for my Dad and Brothers!,,,,,,,,,,Here's the recipie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1 cup apple cider vinigar~~~~~1 cup Dry Mustard powder~~~~~2 eggs~~1 cup sugar~~~1 cup~~ Mirical whip~~~ Mix all ingreidents thourghly in the blender and pour in jars and refridgerate. You can also put labels and fabric under the lids to make it look more christmasy!

Also you can make neat things with pinecones! paint tacky glue on the pinecone and roll lightly in glitter! attach a string and make it into a ornament,,,,,,,, Or roll them in peanutbutter and and then in bird seed, attach fishing line to them and hang them on the tree outside for the birds! or set them in your bird feeder!

Neat post Kim and everyone!

atiledsner

Bump 11/16/06 01:15 PM

Bump

sisland

Bump 11/17/06 10:02 AM

Bump

gail8899

crafting 11/17/06 10:16 AM

Fruit cakes,(not the nasty dried out ones) stained glass angels, broken china pendants, microscope slide pendants, crystal snowflake pendants, two crystal bracelets, a knitted felted purse, and a beaded kimono done in peyote stitch.

LaQuiet

Knitted Afghans... 11/17/06 10:20 AM

I've completed 2 for my grandkids and working on a third for my *best friend/mom figure*... The 2 for my grandkids are smallish--- about 4x6 and the one I'm working on now is going to be 7x9... Time consuming but worth it.. ;)

LaQ

(edited for spelling...*sigh*)

[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2006]

kimba4318

wow 11/17/06 12:39 PM

so much to print out... hope I have enough Ink (LOL)
    Thank you all so much - I think lots of us have benefited from the creativity here.

Hey - the nailpolish on the ornaments - another good one.
    I need about 50 of those rice bags to put on every part of my body!
    Wish I could embroider like some of you!
    Thanks a bunch!
    Kim

ggks

Crafters 11/17/06 12:44 PM

It is such a joy to read all the crafting that is done by all you talented ladies.

There is a place on line that I like to read, too. It is called "Garden Junk"

ggks

kellyann

Crafts...gotta love them 11/17/06 01:07 PM

My sewing machine is still humming, Just finished a spiderman quilt, hmmm what to do next? Probably another disney princess or perhaps tinkerbell or carebears! too much fun! I bought tons of quilt panels, the eay way to make lots of quick quilts, haha!

Kellyann

tigger57

Georgia 11/17/06 01:33 PM

I have to say, I think it's wonderful that you don't forget the "furry" ones.

You guys make me so jealous. I barely have enough coordination to do anything. I use to crochet, and I still try, it's just not like it was.

Hugs,
    Tigger

tigger57

Enjoysue 11/17/06 01:47 PM

Do you knit or crochet the shrug? Can you give directions if it is crochet... I forgot how to knit a long time ago. I wish I could find someone around here who could teach me how to knit.

I've been just spending so much time at home because I'm so very broke.

Let me know, o.k. I'm probably going to do a new post so that I make sure you see it.

Hugs,
    Tigger

hob

mnlady!!! 11/17/06 02:39 PM

Are you up for sharing the chocolate bark recipie? I am a chocoholic with families that are the same. I would love to try it out.

hob

fibrobutterfly

wow....... 11/17/06 02:48 PM

SISLAND.......your pine cones sound neat and I could do that!
    And that hot mustard sounds like something my husband would like, but is it okay to eat something with raw eggs in it?

sisland

fibrobutterfly 11/17/06 03:28 PM

Hi
    Thanks for your interest! Wev'e all been eating this mustard for along time with no problems! I wondered about that when i got the recipie from one of my Aunts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And i mix it very very thoughly in the blender and then keep it in the fridge after and it seems fine. with no problems reported! It really spices up sandwiches or Ham or whatever kind of Meat you want to put it on.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It's alittle bit on the strong side so you don't need very much, at a time! Hope you have a great holiday!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sydney

<<FIRST .: <PREV 1 2

[This Message was Edited on 11/18/2006]