cramping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by italiano, Dec 25, 2009.

1. italiano

italiano New Member

Along with pain i also have alot of charlie horse cramping in all of my body. Does anyone have recommendations on what might help with that?
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Usually, I get it when I'm low on magnesium. I also get it from acid reducers. The generic Pepcid AC does it to me bad and some of the others like Aciphex and Prevacid. They prevent absorption of magnesium and other nutrients, so you get the cramps.

My doc gave me Flexeril for it, but when the cramping is bad, it doesn't work on it. Just lots of magnesium, making sure you have enough potassium, too. Drink lots of fluid.
  3. italiano

italiano New Member

I have been taking prevacid. thanks so much for that insight. I would have never figured that out on my own. hang in there. I know it's not a merry christmas for you but may God see you through each day.
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Yeah, that will do it. Try this, get some plain Tums with just magnesium and calcium in them. And like try to cut down on how much Prevacid you take. That's what I do. I take Pepcid AC, but I've found the generic one really gives those cramps. So in between taking it, I take one or two Tums when I need it and it seems to help. Those cramps are the worst. They don't release. I had one in my foot about a week ago that was so bad, I was almost screaming for the hospital. It's totally not fun.
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

The last several yrs. I've had borderline low blood calcium levels & coinciding with that has been cramping issues.

I've also found that taking calcium supps helps shut down the charlie horses. I keep calcium at my bedside often as when the cramps hit at night my feet go into spasm & it's difficult to walk safely when that happens.

I do not take acid reducers since they decrease the body's ability to absorb critical minerals like calcium & mag. Have wondered myself whether I might have low stomach acid production, but also I have symptoms of hypoparathyroidism, which can contribute to low blood calcium.

Anyway, I second the recommendation for calcium and/or magnesium for the charlie horses. It's a simple enough thing to try.

Best wishes.