Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by emah, Jul 28, 2010.

1. emah

emah Member

Does anyone experience cramping in the hands and arms and if so is this also part of the four letter word "fibro"...ooops 5 letter word?
  2. Tizz

Tizz New Member

In a word, YES.

It is one of my two main complaints.

My rheumatologist assured me that muscle spasms are not uncommon with fibro. My own problems are mostly limited to the extremities, but I do have esophageal spasms (confirmed by a gastroenterologist who did an EGD), occasional shoulder spasms, and I think sometimes IBS (irregular GI muscle contractions).

Muscle relaxants (like Skelaxin) or benzodiazepines such as Klonipin are often prescribed to help with these spasms.

Perhaps because the body is at rest, it's not unusual for "restless legs syndrome" to be an issue at night.

[This Message was Edited on 07/28/2010]
  3. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Taking calcium and magnesium together is helpful for cramping, especially leg cramps. And vitamin D levels should always be checked, especially with fibro; in fact I believe that anyone that's even a LITTLE bit low on D people should take supplements.

The calcium/magnesium thing for cramps isn't my idea; it came from my neurologist (- NOT the obnoxious one, the one who retired.)

4. emah

emah Member

Thanx everyone, it in a weird way makes me feel better to know that there is a good chance I haven't contracted another malady. Now to find a doctor. Mine told me there was nothing they could do for me. Thanx again
  5. joanierav

joanierav Member

hi, im a little late, but hopefully you will see this. i usually get this in my feet and toes also. and when i do , its always because ive forgotten the magnesium. soon as i take it with regularity , no cramping. its definately magnesium/calcium related. i take the script k-dur. because the otc magnesium always bothers my stomack. you will find relief right away emah. good luck. joanie
  6. emah

emah Member

Thank you, I am going to talk to my pain mgmt and be sure that the magnesium will interact with my meds which I hope to one day soon find a way to be off of them.
  7. joanierav

joanierav Member

emah. sorry i made a mistake in my above reply. my head was not on straight, lol. yes the magnesium and calcium are very important when you have cramping. but when i mentioned the mag (above) i meant to say potassium. the otc potassium always bothers my stomack, not the mag, thats why doc wrote a script for k-dur.

all three are very important whenever you have the cramping. but for me the potassium is all. my neuro told me this. of course there can be other reasons for cramping.