CRANFORD - Anne Cromwell and everyone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, May 4, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Hi Anne

just seen on the book post that you're getting Cranford soon - I adored it, wanted it to go on forever.

Also we had another period drama - Larkford to Candleford and that was excellent too so look out for that one.

Good luck with your book Anne, I'll buy it too.

I tried writing a few years back but my best lines came through the night and as I have a bad enough time sleeping, I gave up on it.

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2008]
  2. bct

bct Active Member

Will be watching it tonight, thanks for the heads-up Rosie.

In the U.S. it shows on the PBS channels, so most people will probably be able to get it if they want. Will be looking forward to Larkford to Candleford too; hope it plays here.

Best Wishes,
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

let me know what you think of it.

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, I am waiting for it tonight.

I am currently listening to Radio four serial Dancingnin Time or whatever it is called by Powell, with Corin Redgrave and set around the war time.

Hey I even caught Foyles War11 last night as I stayed up late due to horrible stomach acid caused by the NEW generic Prilosec (Omoprazole in UK) not working AT ALL. I was in agony. I want my money back!

I am seeting this morning as Danny's new english book came home from school from his new class that is meant to be suitable class for autistic kids and the whole book is about 16 year olds playing pool drinking beer, fighting,"having chicks", being crooked etc. Now HOW does that fit for a 13 year old with autism who think H-ll is a really really bad swear word?

Why give that to any kid in school, I swear half the things kids do they learn from bad films and books that some weirdo adult wrote.

So that is THAT class no more. I am spitting feathers I am so angry as they reassured me so much this would be a "great class". Plus Danny says the teacher in that class tells them to "shut it" and more. I see what is going on, this is the behavior disordered group AGAIN!

Then we took him to a brithday party yesterday where the whole house was like a slum, upside down, chaotic, no planning, not really a party at all, except the cake, and he just stays like a hostage - he was worn out and so were we.

His face is SO bad today it makes me weep, his eyes look like someone punched him repeatedly in them you cannot see his eyeballs yet he says he can see.

I am about to just hop on a plane and come over to the UK to see what the docs there can do, maybe Ormond Street, as we are getting nowhere fast here. It is because of his Medicaid, they don't get the choice and get shafted I think. I swear the derm is using him for research.

Love Annie Cranford is set in Knutsford, which is the next village over to where I was born and grew up and I think I told you I was in Gaskell House at school.

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that's absolutely horrendous, giving any kid reading material like that at school far less 13 year olds.

Poor Danny, I bet he was really looking forward to his first party and then it turns out like that.

Maybe it would be worthwhile bringing him over here Annie and see what can be done for him.

My daughter's husband hurt his back badly almost 2 years ago now and he only got a scan a few months back and the results two weeks ago - they can't do anything - surprise - they are thinking of going over to France for medical care - my daughter is half French and has family over there. You come here, we go there.

It's the hitting your head against a brick wall continually that wears you down.

Poor wee man must be in a lot of pain Annie despite his bravado about it.

Hope you get something sorted out soon.

6. bct

bct Active Member

Cranford. I absolutely loved it! Everything was great. Best thing I've seen recently. So glad I didn't miss it. Looking forward to the next episodes.

The one thing I didn't like was the dying of the eldest sister in this first episode (Eileen Atkins), because she was so funny and I wanted more of her.

Anyone want to move to Cranford with me?

Regards to all,

7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

But having been born close to there (Knutsford in real life) I am biased. After we watched it we put the weather channel on and it all seemed so rushed and loud!!! We still had cobbled streets when I was growing up and gas lights that a lamplighter came and lit and that was in the early 50's. We had gas lights in our home till my dad put in electric. NO fridges, no phones then only wealthier people had phones or medical and business. It was pretty formal. I loved going to the haberdashery shop, where they had long glass counters and you would ask for handkerchieves or stockings and the assistant would get a box from the shelf and they were all in tissue paper. It was personal service.

If you went to the hairdresser, each little chair would have a discreet curtain around so other people would not see you looking a mess.

Woolworths was really modern to our eyes then.

Watch the Railway Chikdren movie, this is good and Francisca Annis plays the oldest daughter in it. In Cranford she plays the Lady of the Manor.

Love Annie

Wonderful acting. I inly wish we had more than a 13 ins. TV as it was letter box.

Love Annie
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Eileen Aitkens won an award over here for her part.

These lovely ladies all so bothered by good manners and etiquette - wonderful.

I remember those days too Annie, we had outside toilet, no hot water, no tv til I was 12, brilliant shops - we've lost so much with the supermarkets. We could see the stars clearly at night back then.

9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...My mum would send me down to the shops to get a loaf of bread and it was always warm and crusty and I used to nibble off the corners on my way back!!!

We used to go penny for the guy for fireworks night (Nov 5th) dragging the guy about-my mum used to be annoyed with us as she said it was begging. BUT she used to let us go carol singing.

We would get a group of us together as kids and go round the houses (easier in the UK as homes are so close together) knock at the door and start singing. We would usually get a sixpence. Sometimes they would ask us to sing another one.

A trip to the "picture theater" was a real treat. They used to have the B movie first. We used to call it going to the flicks. They had double seats on the back row for the lovebirds, but the usherettes used to shine their torches (flashlights) on them!!!

I miss pantomime here too and also Morris Dancers and pub grub. When we lived in Cornwall, after we sold the farm, we lived in a cottage that had a well with a huge celtic cross on it. It had once been the inn and the well was very old. Our floors were worn slate and we had inglenook firepaces.

From the church around Springtime, the vicar would lead the parish children to dress the well with flowers and such, and this is done all over the UK. Alsom we had the Furry Dance there, where everyone would dress in "finbery" and dance down the streets in and out the houses that we decorated with greenery over the doors. This was recently, only about 15 years ago. I hope they still do this.

I really liked our schooldays, where it was all quiet control and uniforms. Danny thinks I went to Hogwarts from the photos. The mistresses wore gowns and their ermine on special occasions. Of course it was all girls.

We had the best school dinners ever at grammar school. We used to sing the grace, then we would go up to counter and bring back turines for each table of eight girls and a prefect. It would be considered almost gourmet food nowadays. Primary school was just after the war and the food was horrid, so we used to go home for dinner (which I still call dinner and we eat our tea at 5.30 and have supper before bedtime!!!

Danny loves Weetabix which the store gets in for us.

I had an aunt in Scotland who used to still keep the porridge oats in a drawer.

Gosh, with rationing still on till I was seven, things were scarce but we had so much fun, and although kids were cruel they were nowhere near as cruel then as now. I recall a boy in our village was sent to Borstal for stealing flowers from the graves!!! Bit harsh.

When I lived in Washington state I belonged to a British club of women, and we got together every month and had riotous times.

I enjoyed re listening to the old Journey Into Space radio serial on Radio seven as we used to look forward to is so when we were kids.

Also on the 50th anniversary of the Munich disaster I was weeping with the memory of it all, being from near Manchester and supporting the Busby Babes. The lads wore black armbands to school. The radio broadcast of the 50th was very moving.

Well, I must be getting old reminiscing like this. BUt life was such fun, and I knew not one person who took drugs, maybe they had a little drink, but not over the top, and most people waited till they were engaged. Life was lovely really.

Love Annie
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

in 49 Annie. We were poor and while I remember loads of good things like you, I also remember the harsher realities.

No central heating, coal fires and then you moved and the rest of the house was freezing cold.

We went to cinema a few times a week, you could walk in on the middle of the film and would sit and wait through til it began again and you got to that place and then left......

School uniforms, I hated them especially at High School and always got into trouble for not having the complete uniform on.

But.....safer days thats for certain, not afraid to walk alone in the dark. There are places here I wouldn't walk alone in when its daytime now.

11. bct

bct Active Member

I still have my old school scarf, and remember my uniform quite well.

We lived in the country in w. Berkshire, near a little village called Inkpen : one shop/post-office.

The baker delivered bread, etc. in a van. My mum loved the lardy-cake and Bakewell tarts. And the bread was still warm and crusty, not sliced. It was so good.

I also remember other foods that we ate that are seldom seen these days by me: sprats, fried herring roe (hard and soft), black pudding, rabbit & bacon pudding, crumpets, etc., etc.

I still have my old ration book too.

12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

just bought bakewell tarts today, yes, we still have them.

Still get a fish van and of course, the ice cream man, but unfortunately or fortunately not to my street.

Black pudding, I used to love it........yuk!!! Now Tripe that was a dish I couldn't even look at far less eat.

13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Oh yes, you know, in Washington State and New Jersey I could buy real crumpets. I was born 1946 BTW. Crumpets and cocoa by the fire, mmmm.

Yes, I too recall having to get dressed under the covers and the frost being on the INSIDE of the windows.

My m,um did not get a washing machine until I was 14! She used to have a big old copper boiler, she used to light on Mondays and boil up all the whites, then she would siphon that water into big galvanised tubs for the coloured clothing. Then into another tub for rinsing, and the socks and stuff would go in the final use of water. Then she would water the garden with it!!!

She had a big old mangle with wooden rollers in the yard and had to put everything through, then take it all into the big sink and tubs to be rinsed again, or dolly blued. Then more wringing, then out on the line. If it rained, it would be on the pull down rack that hung above the ceiling in the litchen and on the clothes horses round the fire if there was one (usually had to be as the water was heated via the fire as well as the copper). The first washing machine she had had electric wringers!!! Still everything had to be rinsed by hand.

Then when I got married I had a hotpoint twin tub washer/spinner. The washer part had a boiler so the nappies were always lovely and white then you would load the whites into the spinner and the water would go back to the washer part for the coloureds just the same. Then rinse the clothes in the spinner and into the sink with the water, two or three times. I loved that twin tub as the clothing was so clean.

My dad kept rabbits and so we had rabbit pie a lot. Also he kept chickens on his allotment too, and grew a lot of stuff. My mum grew wonderful flower gardens. With eight kids, how did she have the time.

Rosie we had chamber pots under the bed. Did you? The lavatory was not entirely outdoors at our house, but across a porch and coal house, so cold but not freezing.

Dpo either (any) of you recall the coronation? All the street parties? We made our own bunting in the village of coloured crepe paper cutbinto triangles and threaded on strings from all the upper windows and then secured on the fences. It looked wonderful! We had big tents up on the field, and everyone loaned their tables, chairs and dishes and all the village women made the feast. Meat paste and fish paste sandwiches, jelly and custard and lemon and jam tarts.

It rained in the late afternoon and all the bunting turned white as the colour dripped out. The bonfire got soaked and the fireworks went dud, but we all had a great time. My sister still has her corontation cup, saucer and plate and also some from her MIL's collection of former coronations. My mum used to have two pewter mugs from King George and Queen Elizabeth(mother) coronation. Don't know who has them now.

When I was very small, my grannny, who owned a shop and a pub/lodging house still had the gypsy caravan parked behind the store that her parents had brought on the boat from Ireland to England many years before. My great grandad was Irish and a silver smith-more than tinkers in those days.

The Irish came to build the canals, and all my granny's lodgers were Irish "navvies".

You know what I recall the most. My mothers lovely pinks and carnations in the front garden borders, the smell was lovely.

Never liked black puddings, but they still served them in Forres and Dan loved them. We used to get breakfast special at the community Hall, bacon, eggs, black pudding, fried bread, baked beans and a sausage!!! Cholesterol special!!!

Love Annie
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

used to love them - the nearest I get now is fried egg with potato scones - fried too of course.

Don't remember much of the coronation Annie, I was only 3.5 but I remember the rigmarol of washing - we had a flat, old tenement, and the wash-houses were shared - just like you described though. Everyone was very friendly, all the neighbours knew each other and cared about each other.

My Grandfather's people were Irish, my great, great granny Seabina O'Flaherty fell dead in the streets of Durham and my Grandad's Mum was raised there by nuns (horrendous experience) I often wonder if Seabina (Spell) came over from the potato famine.

Yes we had chamber pot and an old stone kind of bottle that was a hot water bottle. We used to bathe in a big tin bath which was filled with hot water.

My Mum was a divorcee, unheard of in those days and raised 3 of us on her own - no dating, no men, she just worked really hard. I didn't know anyone else with divorced parents.

We would go to the seaside for our holidays - I remember great summers and tar melting in the streets. We had freedom to play unlike today, running into the house to get a 'piece on jam' (bread and jam)then out to eat it in the street, couldn't leave your pals for long.

We moved when I was 12 to a house with indoor bathroom, hot running water and we even got a tv, slot tv. I just loved these luxuries. Chicken was a treat for Sunday dinner, sent to Sunday school, 2 actually every Sunday with nice clothes and hat, always a new outfit for easter with straw bonnet. Girl's Guildry and my two brothers went to the Boy's Brigade.

It was a nice upbringing despite my Mum having to struggle.

8 children Anne - goodness though if my Mum had stayed with my dad no doubt there would have been more of us.

My Granny raised two children who weren't her own - one a neighbour's 1 week old baby when his mother died. She raised him in a protestant family as a catholic, making sure he went to early morning mass, chapel on sunday and catholic school. He was only a few years older than me and my Gran's 7 kids were all grown.

I'm blethering now...

15. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Great blethering.

We used to love to play with the melting tar in the streets, played for ages, used to get it on our cotton socks!!!

We also used to make little sailing boats and sail them down the gutter water, and this odd thing, did you do it in Scotland-we used to gather up mown grass from the field and make "rooms" of a house by piling small rows into squares. Then we would play all week, making "tea" out of salt and vinegar plant (herb) not really drinking it, but we played for hours and hours.

We also played this game where we would get a piece of brick and used stones to pound it into face powder!!! We would pound for hours.

I know what you mean about no divorcees. Most people where we lived if their husbands left they never got divorced and would be chaste really. In fact there was only one woman in our street whose husband left her and he daughter was my best friend.

My mum used to feed her Sunday dinners as they never got any, she used to live on sugar butties and school meals. Sugar butties you would call a piece with butter and sugar on. She would follow the chippy van and ask for the "bits" and the icecream man to get "scrapings" and ask at the shop for broken biscuits.

Our school uniform, you talk about a scarf Barry, but being girls, we even had to wear regulation knickers with a little pocket in for our handkerchieves.

We used to have the nit nurse come round in primary school and she would check to see that we had a clean hankie. We would be scared if we did not have one. We also got a big spoonful of cod liver oil each day and free orange juice.

People were very friendly though if you fit in with the rules. If someone died or was poorly, a collection would be got up round the doors. But if someone was "bad" in some parts of Manchester, the women would all go out in the street and rattle spoons on pot lids to show their disapproval till she mended her ways. Probably had committed some crime like not washing the windows every week!!! People used to whiten the door steps too every morning.

Hard times maybe, but happier times I think than many kids get these days, too many "things" to distract them.

Love Annie

16. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

poor wee girl, goodness we were lucky, we had our extended family....granny and aunt.

Your knickers sound so posh Annie. I remember we had to wear navy blue knickers for P.E. I hated it.

Yes clean windows and clean step and oh, clean as if your washing was going to be dirty!!

That's hilarious about the women going around banging pots and pans at the 'bad' people.

We used to play 'beds' - chalk this diagram on the pavement and hop about......thats it hop scotch!! And whip and peeries and ropes.

I loved playing with the tar too with little sticks but didnt have the game with the grass.

I was always falling in our swing park which was covered in grit - very painful at least they now put soft bark etc in swing parks.

Didn't like gym, always falling......maybe I had a bit of m.e. back then too.....