Craniosacral therapy experience

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Daisys, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Daisys

Daisys Member

Yesterday, I had my first craniosacral treatment, with a P.T. It was so subtle, just very gentle holds with slow movement mainly involving the head and neck.

She told me if it caused any negative effects, she would slow down. I really didn't think I would feel any effects from it. Well,..I had a really hard time getting enough last night. I'm sore in my thighs, rib cage, and around my head. It really does feel like something was manipulated inside my head! I'm still sore this morning.

It wasn't just achiness that kept me awake last night. My mind was super alert, so much so that my sleep med couldn't overcome it.

I've read some older threads and know some have had this treatment. I'd welcome some input from those who've had this treatment long term. I have an appointment for next week.
  2. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi
    I had this treatment years ago - not for FM/CFS. I thought it was the best thing ever! It completely cured the aches & pains & associated depression I had.

Unfortunately I'm no longer near London where the best therapist practices otherwise I would go and see him - I don't have the money or energy to travel.

At first I had some odd things happen - feeling dizzy, not being able to tolerate red wine (strange!) but after the 2nd visit my body started to become "alive".

When your body is in a pain state it shuts down the flow and the therapist wakes it up. With this renewed flow you have to expect strange things happening.

I hope you go back for another treatment and see the benefits. Do post & let me know.

Maybe I will make a supreme effort and try & travel to get this therapy as I'm convinced it would help.

3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I had a D.O. do some Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy and it sounds simulair to what you're describing. I felt relaxed yet more awake afterwards.

Acupuncture works great too. The modern skinny needles barely hurt when they go in. It's a 3000 year old chinese practice.
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

Diva55--Thanks for the encouragement. I did make another appointment. I'm remembering the first time I had myofascial massage and was so sore afterwards, even tho she was very gentle. Once the soreness went away, I was in much better shape for a long time. I hope the same thing happens with this therapy.

Allwxrider--I love acupuncture! Unfortunately, my insurance only covers 16 visits a year, for that and massage. It covers physical therapy for 60, so I'm hoping this will be as helpful as those two treatments. With both acupuncture and massage, I feel good for 2-3 days afterward.
    OMT does seem similar.

I will update after next week's appointment.
  5. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

It's all good!

I just started up with a Physical Therapist, who after we get my body straitened up with excersizes, she is going to do Craniosacral work.

I did quite a bit of it in CA when I lived out there...felt great!

Hope it works great for you Daisys!

Suz
  6. Daisys

Daisys Member

I also talked to 2 friends today who both had good experiences to tell about it. So, I'm feeling hopeful for good results.
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Daisys!

I love, love, love CST! It helped me get rid of most of my headaches.

Here are my hints:

It matters a lot to have someone doing it who really knows what s/he is doing.

Tell the PT if anything she is doing hurts, even if it only hurts a little bit. Becuse the effect later on will be stronger. Basically, make sure she is always extremely gentle with you.

Of course, it's an extremely gentle kind of therapy anyway. But we CFIDS people need it even gentler than usual. :)

I think the usual course of treatment is around 6-10 sessions. After that you only go in for "tune-ups" or to fix any kind of accident you've had.

I wish I could do it forever, but my PT pronounced me "done". lol

I hope it works well for you!

Love,
    Forebearance
  8. Daisys

Daisys Member

Love this feedback! Now, I'm getting pretty enthused about this! Thank you!

I will tell her about the achiness. I hope to notice a difference soon, tho, even if she slows the process down. It's supposed to be helping with upper back pain.

You're right about CFIDS making us sensitive. I'm sure the princess and the pea story is about one of us! LOL
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

10. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Daisys
    I was inspired by you , once more, to track down a cranio sacral therapist in my area. I contacted the Cranio Sacral Association in London.

I mentioned the brilliant therapist I used to see in London & was devastated to be told that he had emigrated to Australia. I was so depressed to hear this - although I couldn't travel to see him, he was like a life line who would be there to help me when I had the money & energy to do so.

I know this sounds silly but it got to me in a bad way!

The man from the association who has mailed me has been more than kind but told me there are so few therapists in my area. I tried one and didn't like her at all & the other 2 are so far away from me.

So Daisys, I shall have to live through your experience and wish that you do well on it. So keep us posted!

Best wishes
  11. Daisys

Daisys Member

What a bummer! One friend told me her mother had great results from one practitioner, but then he died! It seems they're few and far between, and the good ones are even rarer.
    Hope you have one move into your area soon. :)
  12. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I'm very interested in this, my voc rehab counselor suggested it to me once.

Anyone else out there got a story?

CFS 6 1/2 years -- 25 years old
  13. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi,

I've been doing it once a week for a good six years now. The very first session caused extreme dizziness the next day (sudden onset) and sensitivity to light which I normally don't have. Than I started to feel "better." My PT was trained both in the U.K. and the U.S. and does both CST and myofascial massage which is the most helpful for me personally.

I've got FM/MPS complex, CFIDS/M.E., recently diagnosed with Lyme, anemia, "reactive" hypoglycemia, candida, GERD, IBS, chronic, incessant head pain, etc. just so you know from where I'm coming. :)

Best and hope it helps you!
    LB32 (Leeza)
  14. jole

jole Member

My daughter is a CPTA and had some training in it, but won't do it for me because she does not feel she was trained enough. It takes a lot of training to do it right, but when done completely realigns your bones with the slightest of pressure. It can even realign the skull bones!!

I think it is also very amazing, and she has seen such spectacular results with it. But as you say, it is hard to find someone well trained. I would try it in a second if I could manage to ride the distance it takes.

Hope it goes well for you and you have relief.

Friends - Jole
  15. Daisys

Daisys Member

Thank you for replying Gothbubbles, Leeza, and Jole.

Leeza, I didn't know the treatment could sometimes continue for years. I thought it only went on for an average of 6-10 visits. However, I do get myofascial massage and I can see that continuing for years, it's so beneficial for me.

The second visit, yesterday, was more focused on my emotional state causing tension, which can cause pain. I am much more relaxed in my upper shoulders. I'm not sore today, but had trouble sleeping again last night. It seems to be my central nervous system causing the insomnia--my thoughts just race and it takes a couple of hours to get to sleep, even with an excellent sleep aid.

She did say that the right side of my brain has less circulation than the left.

One result of yesterday's examining emotional/physical tension has helped me see that I'm focusing too intently on this condition (CFIDS/FM) and I could be relaxing more since I'm feeling better and have a healing strategy in place.
    So...I've decided to back off this forum for awhile. I'm going to have the mind set that I'm much better, and improving, which is true. I did have a crisis recently and feel I was right to concentrate on the problem at hand, but that crisis has passed with the short days of winter. I'm up from about 30-40% (going down), back up to 50-60%, I think.

I'm going to focus on activities that I enjoy for awhile.
    This isn't a goodbye. :) I know I'll pop in now and then.

16. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

Think healthy thoughts!

We'll see you later : )

Suz
  17. Daisys

Daisys Member

Thank you for the encouragement. I didn't stay away long--LOL--but I have a different attitude. I'm content to go with the flow of what's lined up for me, and thinking less of what to do about this condition. So my stress level is down.

Bummer--I had to cancel today's craniosacral treatment because of the travel conditions. A disappointment, but I'll post next week when I get back to it.

Later: Well, I did get to the appt after all. I seem to be squared away. The first visit she said the dursal lining was twisted, the second visit she said the right side was less restricted in the fluidity. Today she said it seems right. I feel good about what was accomplished, and she didn't suggest I come back.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2007]
  18. jinlee

jinlee Member

My sister-in-law has had this done for her for years with great results and I hope it works for others.

However, if you have neck problems, pain in shoulders, etc., get an x-ray first of your neck. I didn't and after my first craniosacral treatment I became completely numb in the left side of my neck, my left cheek, and arm and hand. Very scary. I had an immediate x-ray, MRI and found that my neck discs were so bad and bone spurs, etc., that it was a no-no for craniosacral. The numbness did go away eventually, for the most part.

But, if it helps you, that would be great as it does realign your body and mind.
  19. Daisys

Daisys Member

That's valuable information for someone else who may read this. Thank you for posting.