Craving... don't laugh

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Tigger57, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Can anyone explain to me why I would be craving..... cumcumbers of all things?

I am NOT pregnant, but I can't get enough cucumbers lately. This has been going on for the past 3-4 weeks. It's driving everyone crazy at work. Luckily there is a farm across the street from where I work that grows them.

I just ate a bunch of them for dinner. Could I be lacking something in my system that my body is craving to get?

I feel silly... most people crave chocolate or something like that.

Hugs,
    Tigger
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think our systems are so screwed up that we sometimes become deficient for different nutrients and it causes cravings. I have red meat cravings which are so strong that I will drive to get a hamburger feeling as though I will die if I don't get it. I also crave leafy green veggies from time to time. I keep some frozen collard greens which can be nuked when I get a craving. BTW, I KNOW I'm not pregnant :)

Love, Mikie
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Cucumbers are strong diuretics. Have you had trouble with swelling?

Jan
  4. basethound

basethound New Member

oh tigger, I had to laugh, please forgive me, it is weird what we crave, here lately I have to have diet root beer,or diet white grape pop, we live 7 mile's from a grocery store and I must have it or I think I will just die from thirst, I have wondered if that isn't why I feel so bad they say pop make's your pain worse.

I'm not pregnant either, but I use to crave the strangest things, ice, pickles, etc my dad use to tell me my baby was going to freeze to death,from the ice, I wished I had some cucumber's they do sound good, even in this cold weather,hope you find an answer soon.

p.s. I can't imagine you as a cucumber you always remind me of big teddy bear, take care Barb
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 11/02/2004</i>]
  5. neen85

neen85 New Member

My doctor just told me(naturopathic)that every time you drink a carbonated beverage of any kind that it takes the body 4 hrs. to re-oxygenate itself. That may be why it makes us hurt more! Daneen
  6. JackieDH

JackieDH New Member

Tigger,
    I had to laugh when I read your post. I have liked cucumbers since I had morning sickness 15 years ago. I find that they settle my stomache. I still eat them for this reason. I find myself craving them when my tummy is upset or even for heartburn. Hows your tummy?
    Jackie
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I honestly believe that our bodies tell us at times what we are deficient in!

I rarely drink apple juice, but always have it here for my husband. I woke up on night and drank a whole quart of it in one sitting :)

That was 6 months ago, have not even though of drinking it since.

As for cucumbers, I loved them so much I used to grow them and eat them right off the vine. But these days they give me heartburn. I never pass a veggie stand without my mouth watering when I see cucumbers! I give you permission to eat my share too :)

Shalom, Shirl
  8. MemoryLane

MemoryLane New Member

They are high in phosphorus and Vitamin C, but very high in Potassium and Vitamin A. Most of the nutrients are in the rich green skin - the inside flesh is largely water. You should not peel them if you want the vitamins and minerals they supply. For this reason, you should consume only those that are unwaxed, organically produced, or from your own garden. They do require lots of water when growing to discourage bitterness and tough skins.

Food cravings as well as food adversions can also be an indication of an allergy to a food, so be careful and don't overdose on the cukes! One extreme often leads to the other.

In addition to genetic predisposition, some diseases such as alcoholism, are often perpetuated by an allergy to an ingrediant in the drink of choice. Usually it is the primary plant source of fermentation, such as potatoes used in French Vodka. I learned this from the book, The Yeast Connection.

On the lighter side - It is probably some English ancestry rising to the surface and staking a claim to the familiar.

Thoughts for Offer,
    Lane
  9. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I understand the laughing... I hear it every day at work when I get my cucumbers ready for my lunch.

I probably am a little dehydrated, having a calcium problem, and probably some vites too. So, I'll just keep eating my cucumbers until my body doesn't want them any more.

No harm, right?

Hugs,
    Tigger
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

you are not craving something fattening and unhealthy! Our bodies do strange things sometimes.

Ellen
  11. Gillbatty

Gillbatty New Member

Omg l thought l was the only one! lve been eating at least one a day for 18 months now and could easily eat more if l could afford them! l crave them any time of day and cant wait till l can have my first lot with my morning tea! People think im barmy but at least they're not fattening. lts nice to know im not alone, but ive no idea why it started. oh well!!
  12. 3B

3B Member

I crave fruits and veggies daily, usually when I'm getting dehydrated..Are you drinking enough fluids?
  13. lyzzy

lyzzy New Member

Don't feel bad, i really crave them in the summer when they are fresh. I like to peel them, slice them, and put them on a peanut butter and Hellman's mayonnaise sandwich! Don't laugh until you have tried it! Delish!&lt;BR&gt;