Crazy Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stacielynn, Aug 3, 2008.

  1. stacielynn

    stacielynn New Member

    I was wondering who diagnosed your CFS and Fibro? My family doctor at the time diagnosed my CFS when I was 17 and my Psychiatrist and Neurologist in combination are the ones diagnosing the Fibro. My psych doctor is the one who put me on the cymbalta (which I had bad reactions to). Where do you think I should go next? Should I go to my new family doctor? Straight to a rheumatologist? (they are so far away)

    There aren't many options for me around here. I am about 45 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. Could anyone recommend a doctor?

  2. dragon06

    dragon06 New Member

    My regular doctor diagnosed my FM and has been the one treating me for it as well. I do also have a rheumy but he is basically just for consultation.

    My question to you is this. If you already have a diagnosis from your doctors why are you looking for new doctors? Are they saying they can't treat you?

    The doctors who diagnosed you can probably give you referrals to other doctors if you want to see someone else or if they feel they can't treat you effectively.

    If your new family doctor is willing to treat you and you are comfortable with them then there may not be a reason to go to a rheumy.
  3. stacielynn

    stacielynn New Member

    I am just so confused by all of this. I went in the first place with a complaint of chronic headaches with occasional migraines. I had the CFS diag. since I was 17. My neuro. treated me with topamax and maxalt for the migraines but the chronic headaches remained. My psych doctor then did some symptomatic questioning with me and a thorough physical and bloodwork. We realized I was ignoring a ton of chronic pain. They consulted and came up with the fibro diagnosis. They put me on the cymbalta (which my body doesn't like) but that is when my mind went to work and I started reading and thought I HAD to go to a rheumotologist to continue receiving treatment.

    I am going to call my psych doc. in the morning and see what he wants to do about the cymbalta not agreeing with me. I can ask him then what he wants to do on the long run.

    I am just so confused by all of this. I just didn't know where to start. Thank you for your input. I feel so lost.
  4. dragon06

    dragon06 New Member

    There is no rule that says you HAVE to go to a rheumy. My mom has FM too and she does not have a rheumy treating her. Her regular doctor treats her and it is working out fine.

    I see my regular doctor once a month for maintenance and prescriptions and I see the rheumy only when needed like when we run into a problem my regular doctor needs a consultation on.

    It's really up to the docs...if they are able to treat you, if they want to treat you and stuff like that and if they would like you to have a referral to other will probably need more than just a Psych though for your will at least need a regular doc in conjunction with your psych.

    Definitely call your Psych about the Cymbalta. Sometimes it takes time for the side effects to go away when you start a new med and sometimes you just need a new med.

    When I started with Lyrica I had to wait weeks for the side effects to go away but it also helped me so it was worth the wait.
  5. simonedb

    simonedb Member

    hey stacielynn, its cool u are here and trying to learn. just read all the posts that u think might relate so u can ask good questions or make informed requests. even though its hard because you don't feel well its good to try to be your own best advocate because you can't be sure anyone else will. but not taking meds tht don't agree with you is a good start! keep us posted.

[ advertisement ]