Crazy Sexy Cancer TV program

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PVLady, Aug 29, 2007.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Has anyone seen this program on the TLC station? Very interesting - it tracks the lives of several young people dealing with chronic illness related to their cancer.

In many ways similar to the issues we deal with. Searching for cures, better health though diet, pain control etc.

Also, the emotional issues of chronic illness.
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Really good little documentary! Moving, inspiring, funny... loved it.

3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

The title just really turned me off...seems too silly for such a serious disease, you know?

But, I may watch it now that you have reported it's contents are better than the title.

Was anyone else bothered by the title?

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

was intended to be provocative. Getting people to watch a doc. about cancer is not all that easy.

The women profiled were all very young. The filmmaker is late 20s/early 30s somewhere and lives with incurable but "stable" cancer. They are young, vital, rock 'n roll, sexy, crazy women and cancer didn't take that away from them.

The title was meant to provoke. If you get to see it just wait until you see what the rock and roll chick puts on her fund raising hats!!!

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

But, for me, just telling me about the with cancer.. would have been more effective.

However, I know that I'm not the one they were aiming this show at...and it's OK...

I do plan to watch it now that you guys have given me the jist of the documentary. Very important subject and I do hope that many watched it so that this information can be widely spread.

Thanks for the update.

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I think this makes a big difference: it isn't a tv show, it's an independent film that was shown on tv.

It's a personal account of a young filmmaker coming to terms with finding out that she has 24 malignant tumours that could stay quiet for a decade, or more, or could suddenly start to progress.

It was fascinating to watch her and her parents,who are about our age (I'm 55), try to wrap their heads around this diagnosis and deal with it. Man, I really felt for them as well as her.

She doesn't want her film to be all about her so she goes looking for other young, artistic, urban women who share her experience of living with chronic forms of cancer... other women like her. She finds a magazine editor/writer/humourist, a playwright, a rock and roll chick, etc.

Anyway, it's not a tv show about living with cancer. It's a film; a piece of art from the perspective of the artist. I can totally see how someone producing a tv show about people with cancer calling it "Crazy, Sexy, Cancer" would be totally inappropriate but this wasn't a tv show it just happened to be shown on tv.

And, it rocked! I felt lucky to not be a young woman with the prospect of early death hanging over her head. I really admired the women I watched who did!

I thought it was great... obviously :~)

Peace out,

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2007]
  7. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Oh I LIKED this woman!
    Then she got to fall in love...when she wondered if she would even live long enough ....well..she captured my heart..

We don't live with cancer...but it seemed as though many of the feelings were similar...I guess people are more alike than they are different huh?

Anyway..I would highly recommend this film!
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

If I understood correctly, there is more than one of these films...????

Following 5 young people? Am I correct? I will look for it on TLC...I love that channel, anyway.

Thanks for all the good responses...I'm eager to see it now.

9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

She has a book and a blogspot now!
    crazysexycancer dot blogspot dot com
    and a web page crazysexycancer dot com

I haven't really read it yet, just skimmed it in my eagerness to share here, but I'm pretty sure she addresses the fact that she took some flack when people saw the TLC promo.

Peace out,

PS Sue, it's just one film, not a series. It opened at Doc. Festivals some time ago but was only aired on telly yesterday.

Suzan, She talks about how "canSer" is a metaphor on her blogspot. She is incredibly likable, isn't she. It's really surprising how cancer changed the trajectory of her life.

Ok, I'll shut up now ;~)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2007]
  10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I saw the program on the TV Guide schedule, but I couldn't watch it. I guess my own journey with cancer is just too recent.

I don't want anything adding stress to my body. My rheumatoid arthritis goes bonkers with stress. So I decided to watch something funny instead.