CRAZY WOMAN? NO JUST THE FOG!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Nov 28, 2002.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

I LOVE MY FAMILY AND I KNOW THEY LOVE ME, BUT IT IS SO HARD TO COMMUNICATE WHEN YOU ARE IN THE MIST OF "FIBROFOG"

YOU ARE SPEAKING TO SOMEONE AND IT HITS, WORDS AND THOUGHTS ARE GONE, NAMES FORGOTTEN, AND THEY GIVE YOU THAT LOOK, "IS SHE LOSING HER MIND"?

THEN, THEY TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO SAY OR TRYING TO SAY AND YOU LOOK AT THEM AND REPLY, "HUH"?
    BY THIS TIME, YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN AND NO CLUE TO WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT. NOW THEY SOUND CRAZY!

OMG, IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE!!

BUT STRANGERS ARE THE WORST AND I HAVE LEARNED QUICKLY TO AVOID CONVERSATIONS WHEN THE FOG HITS.

MY HUSBAND IS A PATIENT MAN, BUT HE STILL GETS FRUSTRATED THAT I AM NOT THE MULTI-TASKED PERSON I USED TO BE.

DO ANY OF YOU GET THOSE LOOKS LIKE THEY THINK YOU HAVE "LOST IT"? I KNOW I CAN'T BE ALONE, UNLESS I ACTUALLY HAVE LOST IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

granmama

2. granmama

granmama New Member

I LOVE MY FAMILY AND I KNOW THEY LOVE ME, BUT IT IS SO HARD TO COMMUNICATE WHEN YOU ARE IN THE MIST OF "FIBROFOG"

YOU ARE SPEAKING TO SOMEONE AND IT HITS, WORDS AND THOUGHTS ARE GONE, NAMES FORGOTTEN, AND THEY GIVE YOU THAT LOOK, "IS SHE LOSING HER MIND"?

THEN, THEY TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO SAY OR TRYING TO SAY AND YOU LOOK AT THEM AND REPLY, "HUH"?
    BY THIS TIME, YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN AND NO CLUE TO WHAT THESE PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT. NOW THEY SOUND CRAZY!

OMG, IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE!!

BUT STRANGERS ARE THE WORST AND I HAVE LEARNED QUICKLY TO AVOID CONVERSATIONS WHEN THE FOG HITS.

MY HUSBAND IS A PATIENT MAN, BUT HE STILL GETS FRUSTRATED THAT I AM NOT THE MULTI-TASKED PERSON I USED TO BE.

DO ANY OF YOU GET THOSE LOOKS LIKE THEY THINK YOU HAVE "LOST IT"? I KNOW I CAN'T BE ALONE, UNLESS I ACTUALLY HAVE LOST IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

granmama

3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sometimes I get that 'look' too, but mostly I just give the 'look' back to them! I always catch back, because all of us, normal or Fibro, forget words and things! Plus I have a friend that has a bad memory from a child. She does not question me, as I always had a memory that was compared to an 'Elephant'! If anyone had a doubt about an event in the family, or a history date or data they always called me. Still do.

I have a grandson in high school, and a son in college, they both call for information from anything to history, the latest news, etc. I still have the answers, just have to look up the dates sometimes.

My memory has improved immensely in the last year since I started taking vitamin B-Complex (High potency with Folic Acid), and drinking half my body weight in ounces of water a day. This may sound too simply to be true, but let me tell you, it works!

My worst times now with memory, is when I am very tired, or if I get stressed. Otherwise I am almost as normal as my children.

I was an editor of a newsletter, and also wrote a column for that was very involved. I taught Eschatology (study of last things), and wrote articles on this subject. No easy task believe me. For a woman, this is unheard of in my denominaton. It took a tremendous amount of time, and a heck of a good memory, as I was teaching mostly seminary students, and college students too. No easy task as for teaching these young men and women. They were smart, and never missed a trick! I had even had the professor at the seminary call me and ask questions of these things that I was teaching and writing about, that included my pastor too.

I am also a history buff, and keep up with politics, and world events too. I have always been a voracious reader, have a library of over 10,000 books right around me in this room. I could quote you chapter and verse from the Bible to a novel!
    I am not as good as I was before this sickness hit me, but its coming back now since I am sleeping at least 7-8 hours at night, and drinking water and the B-Complex. The sleeping is credited to taking ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and B-6).

I refused to stop trying to get what I lost in this area due to this illness. I lived learning much to much to be a quiter here!

I just learned to use a computer in the last two years, the only advantage I had in this area was the ability to type! Don't give up, and don't take any flak from anyone!

I do not allow anyone to make me feel deficient at all. I will bit their heads off if they try! Yes, I am a 'meanie' when the occasion calls for it.

My husband is a very smart man, but in differnt ways than I am, and he is not allowed to tease me! I don't permit him to do so. And if he tries, he will get the back side of my tongue for it.

You try, if you can, what I am taking and see if it does not help you.

If you forget a word, then don't get excited, THINK, another word to take its place will come to you.

Read, do cross word puzzles, do the tv shows with words, play Scrabble great for memory and word power(never met anyone who could beat me playing Scrabble! they still can't) they help too. You have got to fight this every toe of the way! Use your dictionary when writing, it also helps with the memory.

Hope this helps, as I am truly passionate about the memory thing!

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2002]
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Granmama---my younger sister has cfs...and I have both cfs and fibro. We have the best time seeing who comes up with the most ridiculous words in place of the appropriate. Often times, together, it may take us 10 minutes with help from one another to finish a story, and try to remember the names of people in the story.
    We both love word games, and play Literati (an online scrabble game), and boggle, crosswords and others, separately and together. We just have the gigglingist...best time...laughing at our sometimes nutty lapses. The same can be said of the rest of my family---my husband, and kids, and I, find them quite funny often.
    The other day, I asked my hubby to pick up sanitary wings, with pads. We've gotten quite a few days of laughs out of that. He has started helping me, when things are important, for example in our business, when I am trying to communicate to clients, and fumbling. I appreciate his help--now my kids have taken the cue, as well.
    I do know it can be frustrating---but I try to find a positive way of dealing.
    Karen