cream cheese cake became a crater cake Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atiledsner, Nov 29, 2005.

1. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I so enjoyed the different recipes posted for the Thanksgiving holiday.I baked the cream cheese pound cake.It was a beautiful rising beauty after 1 hour baking.I didn't open the oven I just turned on the light and looked in the oven window.It lacked 30 minutes baking time being done. I was so proud of it because I was baking it for someone so special.When the 30 minutes was up I went in to check it again and it had fell in the center and looked like a huge crater. I was so dissapointed.I went by the recipe point by point.The only thing I can immagine is that the cream cheese and butter was cold instead of room temperature. Would this matter? We ate the crater cake anyway,the flavor was so good,we even ate the crumbs.Ha! My very special person was understanding and assured me it was delicious. I want to bake another one but thought someone could tell me how to keep it from falling.
  2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I bake all of my pound cakes in a tube pan that was my grandmothers. You could probably use a bundt pan. Soooo my pound cakes have no center. Could this be the problem??? Otherwise when it comes to baking sometimes it just doesn't work out> Take Care- Lynn
  3. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I wish I could remember what makes cheese cake crack but my mind is gone. As a recovering caterer I have made plenty. I think its not something you could have changed with the temperature of the cream cheese...I made a pecan pie cheesecake for thanksgiving (very easy and delicious if anyone wants the recipe) my cream cheese was room temperature and it still cracked wide open.
    Maybe thats why so many cheesecakes have sour cream frosting or fruit topping...a little frosting to correct a defect?

happy baking, stephanie
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Gosh, I don't know what your problem could have been. I make my cream cheese pound cake all the time and have never had a problem with it!

Did you mis-measure the amount of butter or cream cheese by any chance? Was the oven on the correct temperature? I normally bake mine in a tube pan, too, but I don't know if a bundt pan would make a difference or not.

So sorry for the crater cake! Give it another try sometime when you are not expecting company!

Hugs,
    Janet

P.S.
    I just went back and looked at the recipe -- it said 1-1/2 cups of butter. That equals 3 sticks--is that what you used?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2005]
  5. kch64

kch64 New Member

I guess fibro doesn't affect our appetites. Sounds delicious to me too. (smile)
  6. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Yes, please do give us you pecan pie cheescake recipe!

**LdyM
  7. gnanny

gnanny New Member

This one was a winner at our dinner, easy too !
    Ingredients:

1 2 pound packaged frozen pecan pie (you only use half so you will have the other half next time you want to take a dessert)
    2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup of granulated sugar
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    2 8 oz packages of cream cheese softened
    2 large eggs
    2/3 cup of sour cream
    1/2 cup half and half
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup of powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon flour

thaw the pie at room temperature for 30 minutes (it will still be partially frozen...makes cutting into slices easier)
    cut one half of the pie into 10 wedges...freeze the other half for later use. keep the wedges intact and set aside.

Stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, melted butter and cinnamon. press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides an inch or so in a 10 inch srpingform pan.

Arrange the pie wedges in a spoke design inside the springform pan on the crust with the narrow ends towards the center of the pan. Basically put 1/2 the pecan pie back together inside the crust spacing it evenly.

Beat the cream cheese until smooth, add eggs one at a time. add sour cream, half and half, vanilla..beat until blended.
    add the powdered sugar and flour stirring until smooth.
    carefully pour the mixture evenly over the pie wedges in the pan making sure wedges stay in place.

Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Turn off oven and let the cheesecake stand in the oven for 1 hour. Remove to a wire rack, and let cool completely . Chill at least 8 hours or overnight before serving.

As cheesecakes go this is an easy one. For garnish you could add candied pecan halves.

If you try this let me know what you think...we thought it was a winner !
    Stephanie
  8. gnanny

gnanny New Member

I hope you enjoy it. sorry it took me so long to get back with it.

Enjoy, stephanie aka nanny
  9. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Thanks for the recipe Stephanie! **LdyM