Creepy Roach Problem in Kitchen. Help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zenouchy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

Thanks for reading and your help!! This is so icky. As the subject indicates, I have found 3 big, Texas-sized roaches in my kitchen in the past few weeks. We (hubby and I) were successful in killing one of them last week. I just noticed two more today. Those nasty things are huge, very fast, crafty and therefore tough to kill!!

While my house is not perfectly clean, I try to keep my kitchen much cleaner than the rest of my house. I haven't done anything differently in the kitchen than I have in the past several years I have lived here, so I don't understand why the roaches are making their appearance in the kitchen now.

My only theory is that we've had several (about 25) ultra hot days here---many over 100 degrees, which is really unusual; in fact it's breaking all kinds of records. I've heard that bugs like to escape the heat. What's weird is that I've noticed that the roaches are crawling (get ready, it's gross) through some space around our dishwasher and INSIDE the dishwasher! (I know, really nasty!). I also notice that I ONLY see them late at night, such as right before I'm about to go to bed. (Notice when this post is being written.)

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of these unwelcome visitors? I don't want to spray bug juice on them in the kitchen---way too toxic in there. I wonder if "roach hotels" would work? Thanks so much for any advice on this!

Love, Erika
  2. poets

poets Member

We used to have a house on a wooded lot. We had those big flying wood roaches. I called an exterminator who used some kind of spray that was safe for the environment. I don't know if I could have gotten rid of them otherwise.

Now we have to deal with earwigs. I had one in my bed one night. I'm scared to death of them. In one house we owned we had a nest of household centipedes. Now I don't mind telling you that a centipede is the last thing I want in my house. I'd rather see a snake! I'm more afraid of them than anything else. They make a mockery out of everything that is good and pure! They remind me of something out of hades. That's why I have a contract with an exterminator. Best money I ever spent! Anyway..I'm getting off subject here.

The roaches are probably looking for water, since it's been so hot. If you can't figure out where they're getting in, you may have to call someone. They can usually track down where the roaches are getting in.

3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We lived in Texas a long time ago, and we had a few roaches in our apt. We sprinkled boric acid around the kitchen walls (watch out for pets if you do this). They eat it and it kills them. You can use Borax, which is the same thing.

Good luck! Roaches are tough and have been around a loooooong time!
  4. dustymule

dustymule New Member

I know exactly what you mean about them centipedes! I used to live in Hawaii and that is where I saw the BIGGEST centipede I have ever seen in my LIFE!!!!!!! That was back in the early 80's and I am haunted by that sight to this day!!!!!!! God bless the exterminators!!!!! Barbara
  5. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I just read yesterday, that you can trap roaches by putting a jar of red wine in the place where they hang out. They are attracted to it. In Vegas they use a jar with a combination of water and coffee grounds. Or you can use a banana in water.

You want to make it easy for them to get into the jar, but impossible to get back out. I saw where someone wrapped cloth around the outside. YOu could use masking or duct tape too, sticky side against the glass. Anything that provides traction. You could take an old sock and cut the toe off and trim it to fit the height of the jar. Put a rubber band around the lip to hold it in tightly.

Then coat the upper inside of the jar with vaseline.

So they climb in, and drown, or at least float around with a good buzz! The vaseline keeps the ones who can hold their liquor from climbing back out. When the jar gets full, just flush them down the toilet, and rebait the trap.

I haven't tried this myself, but it sounds like an easy enough thing to try.

[This Message was Edited on 06/20/2008]
  6. poets

poets Member

I've heard about those Hawaiian centipedes and that's just the reason I don't want to go there. I just know my heart would literally stop! These little devils we have in Virginia are bad enough. I heard them referred to as "running eyebrows" by a child one time. Pretty accurate description if you ask me!

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I have a bird mite problem. Bird mites are hell. They even made it into the news this spring.

It's no fun to be bugged!!!

Hope you can get rid of them.

8. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Cockroaches are my worst fear. I have never been the same since I was 19 years old and lived in an apartment with tons of them. Even today if I see something move really fast out of the corner of my eye I jump! I am seriously messed up from that horrid horrid experience.

THANK GOD I have never had them again. Now I am creeped out by silverfish but it is nothing compared to cockroaches.

I used roach hotel things but they were coming from the apartment next door so I could never get rid of them.

GL hugs!
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

3 VERY large Texas style roaches
    pancake batter

slices of apple

First take your rolling pin and slam down as hard as you can on the roaches. Place into sizzling hot lard in skillet.
    Pour in a cup full of premixed pancake batter.

grate apple over the top then brown. Flip over to achieve this.

Place on grease proof paper and place in Tupperware container. Take it over to someone you don't really like and ask her/him to try out your "new" recipe.

Love Annie
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

You all are SO AWESOME! Thank you so much for your fantastic suggestions, humor, encouragement and sympathy.

Poets, alaska3355, dustymule, confusedinPA, rafiki and sorekitty, I'm so sorry you've had icky critter problems as well and for those of you who continue to have them, I hope they go away very soon. It makes my stomach turn thinking they are roaming around in my kitchen when I'm not there. Eeeks! ;-)

ConfusedinPa, thank you so much for the website on roach mgmt. I will definitely check it out!

4everkid, thank you very much for the very clever homemade roach trap ideas. Too cool! I may try some of those if traditional roach traps don't work.

Cromwell, I absolutely laughed out loud when I read your post!! I know a few people who could really "benefit" from that tasty treat! If I could just catch those critters. They sure know how to run! ;-)

You guys are great! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Have a happy/health day everyone.

Love, Erika
  11. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

They make a paste roach killer. Ask someone at hardware or ask a pest control agency.

You can dab the paste in places pets cant get to and it draws them and they eat it. What is good about this is that roaches will feast on dead roaches and it kills any that hatch.

I moved in a house that had them once, this was the best stuff and about 3 days later never had another problem.
  12. dustymule

dustymule New Member

Running eyebrows???? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Thank you for making me laugh!!!!!!!!! See, everyone who wants to go to Hawaii, it has it's problems! They have flying roaches too!! They are in the trees and the grass. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! I am glad that I am back in Sweet Home Chicago!!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2008]
  13. dustymule

dustymule New Member

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! That is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!
  14. findmind

findmind New Member

First time I saw a flying roach (in El Paso), I almost fainted, but my scream brought 7 people running to see who was killing me, LOL!

Roaches are BIG here in Texas...

I have a spray bottle filled with alcohol; if you see them, grab it and spray the roach. It "freezes" them long enough for you to kill it.

Tight containers for everything, borax all under kitchen counter. Garbage out every day.

Our shepherd hears their feet skitter around and finds them and steps on more down!

There must be a way into the house; maybe an exterminator could find it and close it off.

Good luck, squeamy, my sympathy, LOL!

15. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Every now and then I have a centepede running loose or a spider. Both of these freak me out!

I ordered one of those things you plug in any outlet and it's supposed to get rid of all pests, etc. It sends digital pulses thru the wiring in the walls and chases pests away.

Does anyone know if these things work? I hope so! Also, does anyone know if this device interferes with computers or appliances?

Thanks guys,
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2008]
  16. poets

poets Member

Hi Dolores,

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but about the digital pulse things.........Well, we bought two of them a few years ago and they didn't work. I still had the critters including a few wood mice. I actually had a fly land right on one while it was plugged in. Then again, perhaps they've changed them in the last few years and they work better now. Sure hope so!

They didn't seem to interfere with any appliances but we didn't have a computer yet, so I don't know about that. [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2008]
  17. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I was afraid that's the case. At least I tried. I hate pesticides, so I figured it was woeth a try.

18. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thank you all so much for your wonderful ideas, stories, and support. We caught another big roach two nights ago and set out some roach traps. None of taken the bait, but we haven't seen any roaches either (and we've been on the look-out!).

I feel like I should know this, but what is Borax (or boric acid)? Thanks!

Love, Erika
  19. dustymule

dustymule New Member

Is that the soap powder that you see in the laundry detergent isle with the "mules" on the box??????? Does it really work?????? Thank you!!!!!
  20. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Yes. You can buy the Borax in the Laundry Detergent aisle. It's the stuff you can add to your laundry detergent to get your wash nice and clean and fresh, I think it's pretty expensive, but it's supposed to be good stuff.

I've heard it works to kill bugs. I've never tried it, but I will if my plug-in digital thingy fails to work.

I got my plug-in de-bugger today in the mail. It's a brand name and you see it advertised on TV. Gosh I hope it works. It does not seem to interfere with the computer or anything. I plugged it in immediately and it's jut pulsing away in the wiring.

Good luck to all those trying to get rid of bugs.

P.S. IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to keep the Borax away from pets. Sprinkle it where pets cannot get to it. It's poison. Bugs eat it and it kills them.