Crestor & Omacor, any advice on this ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cinnveet, Jun 1, 2006.

1. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

My blood work shows Triglycerides 782, and total cholesterol 307H, then it says "LDL cholesterol not calculated. Triglyceride levels greater than 400 mg/dl invalidate LDL resulsts.

Last week the Dr. put me on Tricor. I had a bad reaction to it and was taken off.

Now I am to start Crestor & Omacor. Before I start I want to see if anyone has had good or bad results from this.

Thanks
    Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

crippled my mother. She could barely walk. She figured out that it was the Crestor doing it to her because her friend was on it and was also having difficulties.

Mom's friend was bedridden before she figured it out. Mom and her friend both quit taking the medicine and with time the side effects went away.

Lipitor crippled my father, but only in one leg. He got better after he stopped taking them.

This is all I know, but it's enough to keep me away if I had high cholesterol. I would look into supplements if it were me.

This is just my two cents' worth,

Linda
  3. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

bumping for replies.
    Thanks,
    Cin
  4. Denamay

Denamay New Member

What would you use as a supplement for high cholesterol?

Those meds. did a number on me. Crestor and Lipitor caused me a lot of extra pain.

But, I am told that is a rare side effect. Just watch for side effects that seem to fuel your fibro.

I know nothing about Ormacor. I hope that works OK for you.

Good Luck,Denamay
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  5. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I realize this is more info than you actually asked for, but here is some info in supplements to lower cholesterol.

Linda

Preliminary human evidence suggests that gymnema may be effective in the management of blood sugar levels in type 1 and type 2 diabetes, as an adjunct to conventional drug therapy, for up to 20 months. Gymnema appears to lower serum glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) levels following chronic use, but may not have significant acute effects. High-quality human trials are lacking in this area. Some of the available research has been conducted by authors affiliated with manufacturers of gymnema products.

Red yeast rice (RYR) is the product of yeast ( Monascus purpureus ) grown on rice, and is served as a dietary staple in some Asian countries. It contains several compounds collectively known as Monacolins, substances known to inhibit cholesterol synthesis. One of these, "Monacolin K" is a potent inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase, and is also known as Mevinolin or Lovastatin (MevacorĀ®, a drug produced by Merck & Co., Inc).
    Red yeast rice extract (RYRE) has been sold as a natural cholesterol-lowering agent in over the counter supplements, such as CholestinTM(Pharmanex, Inc). However, there has been legal and industrial dispute as to whether red yeast rice is a drug or dietary supplement, involving this manufacturer, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the pharmaceutical industry (particularly producers of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor prescription drugs or "statins").
    According to the Pharmanex website (accessed in September 2003), new and improved CholestinTMcontains policosanol, a natural product from the wax of honey bees called Apis mellifera . It no longer contains any red yeast. Policosanols are potent inhibitors of cholesterol synthesis and have been well-studied in clinical trials in Cuba and South America.

Sweet almonds are a popular nutritious food. Researchers are especially interested in their level of monounsaturated fats, as these appear to have a beneficial effect on blood lipids.

Recent data suggest that barley may be promising in reducing total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) in mildly hyperlipidemic patients. Barley has a high fiber content; a modest inverse association has been observed between dietary fiber intake and cardiovascular disease in a recent large prospective cohort study, although results were not statistically significant.
    Germinated barley foodstuff (GBF) is derived from the aleurone and scutellum fractions of germinated barley. GBF may play a role in the management of ulcerative colitis, although further controlled studies are warranted. GBF has also been suggested as a treatment for mild constipation. Barley bran flour accelerates gastrointestinal transit and increases fecal weight. High fiber barley may be useful in the diets of patients with diabetes, because of a low glycemic index and ability to reduce postprandial glucose.

Alfalfa is a legume with, has a long history of dietary and medicinal use. A small number of animal and preliminary human studies report that alfalfa supplements may lower blood levels of cholesterol and glucose. However, most research has not been well designed. Therefore, there is not enough reliable evidence available to form clear conclusions in these areas.
    Alfalfa supplements taken by mouth appear to be generally well tolerated. However, ingestion of alfalfa tablets has been associated with reports of a lupus-like syndrome or lupus flares. These reactions may be due to the amino acid L-canavanine which appears to be present in alfalfa seeds and sprouts, but not in the leaves. There are also rare cases of pancytopenia (low blood counts), dermatitis (skin inflammation), and gastrointestinal upset.
  6. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Thank you for the information! You really know your stuff.
    I will look into the suggestions that you gave.
    Take care from Denamay
  7. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I don't know much about Crestor, but I have heard around industry that Crestor patients tend to have more problems than patients on Lipitor. My FIL has taken Lipitor for many years now and is doing well on it. Lipitor was approved around 1997, whereas Crestor was approved in 2003 (don't quote me exactly, but I had looked it up for another poster a while ago). Lipitor has more long-term safety data than Crestor - it just hasn't been on the market long enough to collect substantial data.

Omacor is actually a natural pharmaceutical product that was able to get a drug claim - this is virtually unheard of with FDA.

It is primarily a blend of ultra-purified fish oils. Then the company did a clinical study and found that it was HUGELY effective in reducing serum triglycerides and bad cholesterol, increasing good cholesterol and it was approved as a prescription drug - I know the data I looked at on the omacor website noted hundreds of points reduction in triglycerides.

If nothing else, I think you'll be able to tolerate the Omacor and at least get a substantial reduction in your triglycerides.

Would your doctor consider Lipitor over Crestor?

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

8. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I am sure the Dr. will perscribe something else. maybe liptor.

I am so afraid to take it because of the bad reaction to the Tricor. I gave me such bad flu like feelings I am now fighting an ear infection. the pains in my legs were the worst.

Maybe I will cut the pill in half to see how I do.

Thanks for responding.

God Bless,
    Cin
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've been on 80 mg. (the highest dose given to a human being) since about later part of 1997.

I don't have any side effects at all from it. At first it gave me pains in my abdomen for about 20 minutes, but that went away after a few months.

My husband takes 10 mg. and if he takes it with food, he doesn't have any muscle problems.

My son, takes 10 mg. of Crestor. I'm not happy about that as I heard that Crestor could cause permanent kidney damage. I wish the doctor would put him on Lipitor, but I can't get the doc to change Matt from Crestor to Lipitor.

I have been on most of the cholesterol meds and had hair loss as a side effect, except with Mevacor I had a different side effect about every day. It was awful on that med.

I couldn't take Zetia along with Lipitor because it gave me muscle pain and made my FMS worse.

Good luck with this. My triglycerides were under 140, I think last time. My cholesterol was 270 and I can't get it down any further.

Good luck and hugs,
    Faye