Crock Pot or soup recipes - for ANYONE !

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Sausage bean Soup

1 lb. bulk Italian or Kiebasa sausage - not sure how much I added but I think I tried to double it, ( the veggies anyway).

1/2 chopped onion

2 cloves of minced garlic

1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes (undrained and cut up)

1 can (15 oz) butter beans - undrained but you can drain them and rinse if you want less salt ( I think they are the big lima beans or in the family). I have also used Northern beans when I didn't have the butter beans.

1 can (14 1/2 oz ) beef broth - you can get low fat and I think low salt but not in the same box or can .

1 t. basil leaves dried

Grated parmesan cheese

Brown sausage, onion and garlic in pan. Drain fat and then transfer to crock pot.

Cook and cover low 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hrs. ( if you do not have to much time you might want to turn to HI first for an hour or so, and then change to low).

THIS RECIPE MAKES 6 SERVINGS BUT THAT OF COURSE DEPENDS ON THE BOWLS OR CUPS YOU USE .!! DOUBLED EVERYTHING EXCEPT PROBABLY THE SAUSAGE. SO I ADDED MORE BEANS I THINK TO MAKE IT MORE HEARTY. DEPENDS ON HOW LIQUIDY AND HOW MUCH BROTH YOU LIKE.

I SUGGEST ADD LESS BROTH AND OR TOMATOES UNTIL YOU SEE HOW BROTHY IT WILL BECOME AND HOW YOU LIKE IT.

Let me know if you make it and how it turns out. We have a tiny bit left from eating it for dinner and then lunch one time, I think.

******If people want to add to this thread with other recipes, please do. It can be crockpot or regular. Usually if it sounds good to you and you don't have a crock pot you can adjust the amount of water or liquid. Less water needed for the crock pot.

We'll see how this goes and we can add on or I can delete if no one is that into it.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/12/2013]
  2. freida

freida Active Member

Fun to look at this thread,
    and it's a great topic idea....
    sorry I am not up to adding to it.
    At least not today....

But I can almost smell your homes . ;)
    YUM! :)
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Frieda - Not cooking soup today and not sure about tomorrow as I will be gone in the morning to a new hair dresser. Hope my hair will come out OK. You never know with new people.

Sorry you are still not feeling very well or worse than normal. Right now you may smell Diane green pea soup but no time today to cook it. Ran to store today to 3 of them and finally found green split peas. Can't believe they were so hard to find. Finally did at Krogers here. Geez, what a pain.

Gotta run for now and hope you are feeling a little better. Maybe tty sometime tomorrow afternon or evening.

Hugz,
    Granni
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Will let you all know if it comes out well.

Diane how are you doing and Leah? I need to go check and see if anyone else has posted on the lounge too.

Hugz,
    Granni
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

We make alot of soup at our house. I will be trying some of these recipes.

A soup I like to make is called Hobo Stew. It is something just in my head so I don't have any set ingredients or amounts.

Beef broth
    Browned stew meat or a piece of steak or a small roast. I have even used cooked hamburger in big chunks.
    Canned whole tomatoes~~this is also a good way to use frozen tomatoes
    Large onion
    celery
    carrots
    Garlic
    kidney beans~~rinsed
    Herbs--basil, oregano, bay leaf, ~~can also use Itallian seasoning

You could also add corn, potatoes or any other veggies you have.

This is good in the crock pot or on the stove.

If I have time I make corn bread to go with it too.
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

That Hobo Stew sounds good. You can probably make it like stew or soup depending on how soupy you like it

Do you brown the meat first and then ut in the onion and then all the rest or just throw everything all together? Have you ever made this with leftover cooked meat? If so I guess you need to put that in towards the end after the other veggies are cooked.

Thanks for another good idea. I guess that would work with the crock pot too and put the meat in when everything else is cooked or almost cooked if you are using already cooked meat, or all together if the meat is raw.

Hugz,
    Granni