Crockpot recipes for Ellen C (and all)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alaska3355, Apr 6, 2008.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Ellen has requested more crockpot (not crackpot!) recipes:

Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken

Assemble this in the morning and have dinner waiting for you at home that same evening. Try serving it with biscuits or over rice.

Serving: 6
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 480 minutes
    Total Time: 495 minutes

1 package boneless chicken thighs (amount depends on your preference; recipe analysis based on 6 thighs)
    2 10.75-ounce cans reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken)
    1 can peas, drained
    1 can corn, drained
    medium egg noodles (recipe analysis based on 4 cups cooked noodles; see variation)

1. Remove skin from boneless chicken thighs; rinse.

2. Combine chicken, undiluted soup, peas and corn in a Crock-Pot® style slow cooker. Set to low and allow to cook during the day.

Variation: Prepare egg noodles according to package directions and combine with cooked chicken. Easy chicken stew!

Cook's Notes: Draining the vegetables is a matter of personal taste -- if you prefer a creamier, thicker sauce, drain the vegetables before adding to the slow cooker.

Based on individual serving.
    Calories: 350
    Total Fat: 10 g
    Carbohydrates: 43 g
    Protein: 22 g

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

This easy, warming dish is perfect for fall days. Try this and other main dishes from the Recipe Finder.

Serving: 8
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 600 minutes
    Total Time: 615 minutes

1 1/2 lbs of cubed stew beef
    1 small onion
    5 potatoes, cut into chunks
    5 carrots, cut into chunks
    5 stalks celery, cut into chunks
    1 14-ounce can stewed tomatoes
    1 beef bouillon cube
    1 vegetable bouillon cube
    1 minced clove garlic
    2 tablespoon cornstarch
    3 teaspoon tapioca
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Put meat on the bottom of your Crock-Pot® style slow cooker. Layer with onion, potatoes, carrots and celery.

2. Put remainder of ingredients including 2 cans (use the empty stewed tomatoes can) of water on top.

3. Cook on low about 10 hours, or put on high for shorter cooking time. Stir once during cooking.

Based on individual serving.
    Calories: 344
    Total Fat: 9 g
    Carbohydrates: 36 g
    Protein: 28 g

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

4. tandy

tandy New Member

those sound awsome!!
    comfort foods for sure :)

Are all slow cookers/crock pots suppose to simmer foods??
    I got one as a gift and the 2 times I used it it never ever bubbled up my food. it never simmered!!
    It got quite warm/hot to show condensation on the glass lid , but not like I think it should have.
    I'm kinda thinking its a defective one.??

so,.. does your crock pot simmer/boil your foods?
    (yes,.. it was on the highest setting)
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

My Crockpot never boils, it just simmers very hard. ;>) Boiling isn't the purpose of a slow cooker. The purpose is, slow cook the food for a long,long time.

High is very hot though.

6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

does a pretty steady simmer, so much that I usually put a rimmed tray underneath it to catch any drips. Tandy, maybe yours is defective....does it cook the food?
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

1 1/2 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1 c. sliced carrots
    1 c. sliced celery
    1 c. chopped cabbage
    6 oz. can tomato paste
    2 t. Worcestershire sauce
    2-3 c. beef broth, depending upon how thick or thin you like your soup

Combine beef, onions, carrots, celery and cabbage in slow cooker
    Combine tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and broth. Pour into slow cooker. Mix to blend.
    Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
  8. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Oh Terri that one sounds great! I always look for something my kids will like and that sounds like a winner.

Tandy my crockpot incinerates everything if it's on high and even on low I have to reduce time and be careful what I put in it because some stuff just doesn't seem to turn out right and I think it's the temp. I have a lot better luck just sticking stuff in the oven at 300 degrees or so although I feel guilty about using all that electricity - you would think I would just get another crockpot would'nt you LOL!!

9. tandy

tandy New Member

mines gotta be defective. :(
    I had it cooking on the highest setting and I thought whatever I was making would need about 6 hrs,....
    it needed longer. (if I can recall, 8 hrs or so)

so eventually it was done but it took way too long.
    and the weird thing is is it never simmered. Even after having the lid on for 2 hrs when I'd lift it open,. it was barely steaming????
    I saved the box cause I thought right from the 1st time using it it did'nt seem right.
    I should try to return it :)
    (a little late as it was a christmas gift)

I do miss having one. They are handy for sure.
    Especially since I seem to crash/exhaustion sets in by 2-3 in the afternoon. so cooking dinner is a nightmare.

these dishes sound delicious!!
    now I'm hungry!!

thanks guys
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to send these to me! These sound so good!