Crockpot Recipes without mf'd foods?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Oct 4, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

We just replaced our crockpot that we left behind in the US, LOL, and so now I'm looking for recipes that do not included prepared, mf'd foodstuffs like ketchup, packaged dried onion soup, condensed soups, and the like as we're trying to keep our diet additive, sugar, and grain free.

After spending a good hour looking, I didn't come up with much, altho there are a LOT of sites out there. I tried googling things like 'organic crockpot recipes' without any success. I did find site that was pretty good, but some of the recipes were a bit strange to me (curried beef with bacon?)

Any of you have any other recipes for dishes that don't use all the 'easy to use' ingredients promoted by mfrs-- and instead is just varied by meats, veggies, and spices? Besides stew or pot roast of course.

I'm not the most creative cook in the world, actually I dislike cooking... thus the crockpot approach LOL!

[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2009]
  2. jole

jole Member

We really like ham 'n beans in the crockpot....with cornbread.

Beef 'n noodles/chicken 'n noodles

Ummmm gotta think a bit....
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

This is one of my all time favourites and it's really good!

Peel 5 medium potatoes, cut into bite size chunks ,add to crockpot with about 3-4 cups of water and garlic powder and pepper(to taste) cook for about an hour on high,,,,add chopped onions,can corn,celery,carrots,,,and about 1 1/2 cups of can milk,,or regular milk,,,,cook on low all day,, add cut-up chunks of bacon about 2 hours before your ready to eat,,,,serve with cornbread or corn muffins,,,,,,,sis
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

If you started with home made spaghetti sauce, put that in the crock pot and I slice a cheap beef roast into 1" pieces, trimmed. Cook together all day and serve with pasta, you won't need a knife to cut the meat.
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recipes ! I love the crockpot but do not have enough recipes for it.

Tersch - I have made the Mexican soup too similar to yours that I havaen;t done in a long time. You can use the same one witha also cut up chicken instead of ground beef. Plus, it can also be just vegetarian, with all the beans and veggies. I need to start doing more. I imagine you could also cook this in the crockpot with cooking the beef first and then transferring it or cookeed and cut up chicken with all the ingredients, I do not think that this would have to cook very long. Maybe 4 hours on hi and 6 on low or maybe even less. Everything just has to blend together. Since the meats will be cooked.

Thanks for the potato and Potato Leek soup. I also got one other Potato soup recipe you cook in a pot from Diane that is very good, she says. I haven't cooked it yet but I know it has got to be good with all the cooking she does.. Looks simple to me, with simple ingredients.

Great thread !

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2009]
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I thought it was Tersch who made the Mexican soup in the [ pot. It was you and similar to what I have made. You have reminded me to do that again soon. it is easily used as a veggie soup or with ground beef, or cut up chicken or whatever. It is yummy and quick. Oh, I thin the recipe also calls for one of thos packets of taco seasoning to . However, you can add whatever seasoning you want.

All thse recipes sound yummy and quick.