Crohn's/UC sufferers...Meds & experience please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Jan 3, 2006.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

My lovely biopsies just came back and it is ACTIVE CHRONIC COLITIS, not Crohn's as the doc thought...

Been on Prednisone and Cipro for 2 weeks, helped some but seems I feel like my body is shutting down, more than usual. The bleeding hasn't completely stopped nor is the abdomen swelling subsiding...No cramping or urgency this flare at all, so this is quite different than the past 10 years...The disease was also found in the rectum, sigmoid and ascending but NOT in the transverse or the terminal ileum...Imagine that, gets the two sides but not the middle!

Anyhoo, been researching for new meds that work and I came up with AZATHIOPRINE before the doc mentioned he wants to use it...Takes 12 weeks to work? It's an anti-inflammatory (which tends to make me bleed, my UC came from Motrin in the first place, I beieve) and also considered an ANTI-RHEUMATIC drug...Works by suppressing the immune system by interfering with deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA)

Some major side-effects, some minor...

I believe my conditions are linked somehow but of course docs like to treat each symptom and make you suffer for life. I have low back pain from SI joint OA, bad endo which was removed along with ovary and tube and the UC, which all contribute to the pain, swelling discomfort, etc...Plus adding the FMS/CF and depression and my cervical spine issues it's got me head to toe here...

Looking for answers for so long, it's getting old allready!

Is this all auto-immune???

This drug, if an anti-rheumatic could surely help FMS, correct?

My goodness, when will we figure this out, the connection is here somewhere, overlapping, causing eachother, something, somewhere, what is it???

Okay, gonna take the mile walk to get the newspaper so I can get more ticked off reading that...

PRAY FOR THE MINERS...the grief those families are going through, we can only imagine...Why does this life have to be so difficult?

Hope many of you can smile today, I'm trying, Love, Alicia
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My husband has Crohn's and my sister has both Chrohns and ulcerative colitis.

My husband is able to take prednisone but sometimes it takes quite a while for things to settle down.

My sister can't take prednisone so she takes Flagyl when she has a flare. Her condition takes a long time to clear after a flare, sometimes up to four months.

I'm afraid that's the bulk of my knowledge.

Regards,

Eileen

3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I am having such a tough time on these drugs, it must be the prednisone causing all this weakness...After about 30 minutes after taking, my skin gets a yellow tinge to it and it gets so smooth, what is that about???

I just feel more wiped out than ever...I can usually force myself to do a task or pay attention for a bit with my usual conditions, but now I just hang my head and say "I CAN'T"...I had a meeting today with a hospital administrator trying to get my medical bills paid...She kept advising me that I may not qualify due to this OR they may want to consider another program to qualify me, all the while I am just sitting there thinking "I really don't care what she is saying, I can't seem to comprehend it, nor do I wish to try"...

I can't wait to see what the effects are coming off the prednisone...If I get worse, my doc better get his life insurance paid up cause someone is gonna be cashin it in soon...tehe...Not that I wish him anything bad, just getting tired of being the guinea pig and him practicing medicine at my expense...Ya know...

Thanks again for the replies...I am bumping for more input.