Cromwell Anyone Who Knows Has Esophagitis Erosive Gastritis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Apr 18, 2006.

1. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am so sorry, this post is going to be long, but I have so many concerns and some questions also.

I went back to see my Gastro today for the results of the biopsy of the Upper Endoscope.

By the way, I have to have a Colonoscopy on Thursday. So MORE to go thru.

Here is a few details of my report (which I made sure I got a copy of).

"At the GE Juntion there was possible Barrett's mucosa see extending for 2 cm. Multiple biopsies were taken from here. Escophgoscopy revealed normal appearing mucosa.

Gastroscopy was then performed. The visualized mucosa in the antrum revealed changes or erosive gastritis. Biopsies were taken from there."

The Doc. told me that he checked for Celiac Disease, Barretts, and H-Plyri and none was found.

Diagnosis was Erosive Gastritis and Esophagitis.

Now he wants to do a colonoscopy. Will have done Thursday. He made a point to tell me that alot of my bowel (stool colors) is more likely to be coming from my colon and not my galbladder.

He wrote me out a prescription for Prevacid for 3 months.

Here are my questions:

1. Is this curable????

2. I asked him what are my chances of it becoming Barretts. He said he could not give me a definite answer, but did say there was a slight chance. Is Barretts a pre-cursor to cancer or Barretts actual cancer? I am not sure. Does anyone know the chances?

3. I also asked him why I am not throwing up or having heartburn or stomaches. He told me that you would be surprised what some people learn to live with and it depends on my pain level. My question is "how am I ever supposed to know if after these three months of medication if it ever acts up again if I can't feel it".

4. The only problems I ever notice is right sided pain like gallbladder, berps and belches and hiccupps, and stool changes.

I am so confused because how is this condition supposed to be monitored inside of me. I did not even know I had it!!

It scares me because unlike others who know when they have an onset of it, I don't!!!!!!

I am so sick and tired of all of the medical conditions that they keep finding in my body.

Now I just wonder what they will find with the colonoscopy.

Please, please help if you can. So sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance,
    Love and prayers,
    Brenda

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Sorry computer was down today.

The good news is that you have a good gastro doctor. He is being very cautious. He took the biopsies-always they take biopsies to check for Barretts, h Pylori and other changes such as gastritis.

The wonderful news is that YOU do not have Barretts. That the gastritis has been caught early enough, and now you can make sure you keep that gastritis at bay in future so it does not progress to Barretts. For this reason, I have upper endos every two years or so so they can check, plus when you are on long term Prilosec or Nexium you can get small polyps in the stomach(I had five last time and had this removed)This was after being on Prilosec for about 15 years!!!

Barretts is NOT CANCER-will you stop scaring yourself honey, plus he did not find Barretts either. He found erosive gastritis and esophagitis, this means the acid in your tummy is burning the lining of these places and causing changes in the slime(mucosa) that protects them. The Prevacid will heal all that quickly.

I think you need to just take it easy on your stomach. Do the Prevacid in the amounts he said. For the first two to four weeks this may be a higher dose than you may think you need, but do it so that gastritis clears up. You know when you have a burn or graze on your skin, can you imagine keep pouring vinegar into it, well this is what happens in your esophagus and stomach, so you need that acid calmed right down, then you will heal. Prevacid is a great drug, if you get any side effects, you can switch to another like Nexium.

Gastritis irritates your stomach so very much it will be painful(mine used to feel as if I had rats gnawing away, especially to the right side-awful pain) plus I used to throw up and have weird stools too.

My bet is that he is going to do the colonoscopy as he wants to check if you have any erosive conditions there too. You probably don't, but you could have developed diverticular disease. Eating too many nuts and seeds and (for me) too many raw veggies caused this. When one eats raw foods you produce more acid to aid digestion. I am always on guard when people are going totally onto raw foods, it may be OK for a few but for many it can do a real number on the gut, as the gut is not used to this diet any more. The large intestine is also called the colon.

If you smoke, QUIT. No strong coffee, tea or peppermint. Eat a fairly bland diet, if you are on raw veggies, give them a little rest for a while, eat veggies by all means, but stay off the tougher ones. Things that are OK would be mashed sweet potato, bananas(ripe) applesauce, steamed carrots. Mashed potatoes, one thing that was very easy for me was chicken and biscuit type meals with mashed potatoes. Soups, boiled chicken with noodles. Mushy type foods for a couple of weeks. I found lettuce I was awful with when the gastritis was bad. Gave me foul burps.

They have actually just discovered that milk is actually quite good for gastritis. I buy Organic Valley lactose free as it is easy to digest. I use sugar in moderation too, as this can actually help those of us with gastritis. Stay away from fizzy drinks, or oranges, chocolate is a biggie too. In time, when you are healed you can reintroduce more things-I eat occasional chocolate now. I do eat Breyers ice cream which I find soothing. I happen to think milk is an excellent food and organic is easy to find. Soy is very hard to digest.

I think I already told you to try Simethicone(gas-x) after you eat your main meal to deal with the gas build up, it works very well. You should be avoiding NSAIDS and Asprin.

I promise you that your pains will go after a week on the Prilosec or Nexium. You may have to stay on a maintenance of Prilosec at least once a day.

Contrary to popular opinion, probiotics only work in the intestine, not the stomach itself. Be careful as they can irritate gastritis. You don't want to overload your system too much. I only use them when I am on antibiotics, and otherwise, use a good yoghurt. About a cup a day is enough.

I think you will be fine with the colonoscopy. Is there anything else I can help with. Please do not be scared of taking Prilosec or any of the other PPI's like Nexium, Prevacid etc. They are life savers for sure.

I have had this condition for at least 20 years and it is held at bay by these drugs. But for meds like Prilosec nexium and prevacid (called PPI's), I am certain I would have developed Barretts by now, but taking the pills stopped this from happening.

Although it makes sense to only take pills when they are needed, some people need meds on an on going basis and you should just be thankful we have these meds and not be scared into thinking all meds are harmful. Medicine saves lives, there is a great deal of evidence to support that.

Much love, stop worrying yourself ill, take the meds and heal, which I promise you will. BY the way, it can occur out of the blue, or due to just changing your diet drastically or even from a change in water or a change in your age. Thank God for modern medicine that can heal us and cure this, and turn what used to be a pretty serious disease into a very mild, totally curable one.

Anne C Calm, peace and big hugs.

[This Message was Edited on 04/18/2006]
  3. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Your response was so lengthy and I want to thank you for taking so much time to write back to me.

I have this bad habit of reading up on the internet about different things, then it gets me scared. I want to give you an idea of what I have read:

Chronic gastritis has a number of causes, including certain drugs; alcohol; bacterial, viral, and fungal infections; acute stress (shock); radiation; and direct trauma. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen, can be direct irritants and a cause of gastritis.

Bacterial infections also can cause gastritis. Tuberculosis is a rare cause of gastritis, as is secondary syphilis. Phlegmonous gastritis is an uncommon form of gastritis caused by a number of bacterial agents, including streptococci species, staphylococci species, Proteus species, clostridia species, and Escherichia coli.

(CMV) is another cause of gastritis. It may be found in the stomach of patients who are immunocompromised, in patients who have had a transplant, and even in patients who are immunocompetent. EBV can be another cause of Gastritis.

Fungal infections that cause gastritis include Candida albicans and histoplasmosis. C albicans rarely involves the gastric mucosa.

I have also read that it is important to find out the underlying cause of what is causing your Erosive Gastritis or Esophigits. I think this is what bothers me. I have so many things going wrong in my body right now. Plus, my symptoms differ so much from everyone else's.

How does my doc determine what is causing my problems. I know he ruled out a few things, like Celiac's Disease, Barretts, and H-Plyori.

I think you are right, this Gastro Doctor seems to be a good one, and he is very nice to me and take time to talk with me. And it is very wonderful that I don't have Barretts.

You do not have Barretts, do you?

I do not know the intentions of what he is going to do in the future, except for the Colonoscopy. He wrote me a script for 3 months of Prevacid 30 mg. a day. Is that a good dose?

I do not know whether he will continue after 3 months or not. Or whether he will want to do occassional upper endoscopy's.

In am interested in your polyps. Why did you get them, from the meds. Are they dangerous?

Is erosive gastritis and esophagitis always caused by acid?

You know, usually I take notes with me to the Doctor. I guess I was unprepared today. Sometimes I just don't think too well.

Anne C., this is just what I do not understand.

I do not have any heartburn or any indications I had esophagitis.

I do not throw up, have horrible stomach pains like someone with Erosive Gastritis would.

You mentioned right side-awful pain. I am very curious, was the pain under your right ribcage and did it radiate to your back sometimes. Was it sharp and times and dull at other times? Is this really Erosive Gastritis???

And the stools, where they very pale at times, and sometimes were they yellowish/orange?? Does that also sound like Erosive Gastritis???

I would have NEVER called all of the symptoms I have listed above to be painful enough to send me to the ER. But extremely annoying.

He told me he wants to do the colonoscopy because of my stools. He said believe it or not, that the colon is usually the problem with people who have stools like I do.

What is Diverticular Disease?

I did quit smoking, on March 27, and have no intentions of ever smoking again. I do not drink coffee and I hate Peppermint.

I will try my hardest to eat a bland diet. I am very under-weight right now and need to try to eat things high in fat.

Is Vitamin D Milk OK?

I know I asked you specifically if these two conditions could be "healed". If guess I am a little confused. If I heal, why would I need to continue to take Prevacid the rest of my life. Does this really mean remsission?

Got ya on the probiotics.

I am not scared of taking the Prevacid. Don't worry. I am just scared there may be something underlying that may be causing this problem. I can't tell them all to you right now or I would be writing a book, which I probably already have. But it is more than just CFS.

Don't worry, I know how important Western Medicine is.

I am so sorry for bothering you again.

Anne C., you are such a caring person and I appreciate all of your help!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  4. futurehope

futurehope New Member

I am so sorry to hear you have this condition too.

My doc. prescribed me Prevacid 30 mg.

My doctor did not tell me to stop taking supplements and only eat certain kinds of food.

You know what is strange, I had a dry cough also for a few years. One of those coughs where it takes you awhile to quit.

I had known I had Asthma for years, but never used an inhaler. Finally I told the doctor about the dry cough and he prescribed a steroid maintenance inhaler. I take two puffs a night. And I mean all the stuff just loosened up and I coughed stuff up for a month!!!

Thank you for wishing me Good Luck with my colonscopy.

I think you having an Upper Endoscopy would be a good idea.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hi Anne Here.

No I do not have Barretts due to taking the PPI's.

Although all of those things you researched can cause gastritis, the biggest cause is cigarettes BTW!!! And Coffee, hot!

Stop worrying about the cause. The thing it if he only gave you 30mg.Prevacid, that is a pretty lowish dose, as in the past I have had to take more. Are you taking 30mg 2 times a day? This is a very conservative healing dose.

You can have gastritis without having heartburn or GERD.

Yes that is exactly where the duedenum is, where you feel the pain, where I think he saw your gastritis, at the GE junction, you would feel it on that right side and yes, you can have pale stools due to mild malabsorbtion caused by the gastritis. He will sort it out. It wuill all clear up. However, I think you may have been overloading on the probiotics which can change your stools considerably. Any sort of organic milk is fine. It is worth paying for organic though. If you need fats use full fat which is only four per cent anyway, and as I said the Breyers vanilla icecream really is soothing.

Diverticulosis is where you get little pouches that trap food in the colon. It is treatable easily.

Stomach polyps unlike colon polyps rarely lead to cancer, and are usually totally harmless. Mine hurt me due to guess what gastritis!!!!

Millions of people have this condition and lead long lives with no other problems. If you need to gain weight, just eat some good old fashioned food, just steer clear of garlic, onions and junk type foods, or spicy stuff for now.

I want you to stop perusing the medical web as you are scaring yourself. Froim what you have said you are doing just fine and need a little help healing that gastritis and let's see what the colonoscopy reveals, and we can chat about that.

I can see cancer scares you. Is this because you are underweight? Please stop scaring yourself as you will just produce more acid with the stress. Ciggie smoking no dobt caused that lax LES that allowed acid into your esophagus BTW, and it will probably heal back to normal within a very few weeks.

Now get a good night's sleep and stop worrying.

Love Anne C

6. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Well do.

You are very comforting.

I will answer some of your questions you asked in the last post and go a little into the Operative Report to clarify a few things for you.

I still have my prescription here, and it says 1 pill a day (30 mg).

On my operative report, it states that "the mucosa in the duodenal bulb, descending duodenum and the third portion of the duodenum appeared normal. Multiple biopies were taken from the second and third portion of the duodenum. There were no immediate complications"

To me that means, that the gastritis is not in the duodenum. (Where I am feeling the under and around the right rib pain) It states that he found the erosive gastritis in the antrum (wherever that is).

The GE Junction that you are referring to has to do with the esophagitis. Report states "At the GE junction there was possible Barrett's mucosa seen extending for 2 cm. Multiple biopsies were taken from here. Esophagonscopy revealed normal appearing mucosa. So the GE junction is in the espophagas.

I know it is now the probiotics because I just started them a few weeks ago.

I will try the Bryers Vanilla Ice Cream and Organic Milk.

I wlll be sure to steer clear of spicy foods, junk food, garlic and onions.

I know the browsing of "Medical Conditions" is not good. I will TRY VERY HARD to stop!!

Cancer does scare me a lot. Not because I am skinny, but because I have already had it once. In 1993, I had a bronichal carcinoid tumor that was cancerous. I had to have two lobes of my right lung removed. I was only 26.

This is where my Panic Disorder breeds from.

Plus now, I am seeing on Oncologist and have recently had a Bone Marrow Biopsy and a Pet Scan because my WBC seem to be going high off and on.

Like I said, there is some more going on too.

Thank you for being such a nice person!!

I cannot say that enough.

Goodnight....

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Brenda,
    I deleted my post because I didn't feel it belonged here with your gastritis post.

I appreciate your kind words.

Doctor's thought I had gastritis back in 1990, but it turned out to be gastroparesis. I had 2 scopes and they showed nothing. So they had to do an upper GI Series. I have had diabetes since 1976.

I stopped taking the supplements on my own prior to going on Nexium. I still haven't introduced my cinnamon capsules yet. I want to go slow on that.

I'm sure it would be a good idea having an endoscopy done, but the doctor didn't seem to feel it was needed, so I'm fine with that.

I think I'll cut out any sublinguals because that is just going to aggravate the esophagus while it is trying to heal. I have noticed I am not doing so well today as I have been since I started on the B-12 sublingual 2 days ago. So that one is out for a couple of months.

I enjoyed reading all the info that Anne wrote. I wish Pro Health would make her a moderator as I feel she would be an excellent one. She is so wise and knowledgeable. She has a lot of common sense about a lot of things and, Anne, if you are reading this, I do so enjoy your posts.

Hugs to you both,
    Faye
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well thank you for the compliments. That made my day. I heard this wonderful saying the other day I want to make into a bumper sticker:

"The world is my country and my religion is doing good"

I try to live that way, so the feedback is so appreciated.

The GE junction is the LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter) this is where the esophagus has a valve like structure that prevents acid backflow upwards. This is where it is very common to have gastritis(and especially with smokers).

The antrum, is also another very common area and it does lie at the entrance between the stomach and duedenum under that right rib. It is a very common site for gastritis also. The duedenum is really the start of the small intestine. I hope this info helps.

Also, there is a condition you can get which some doctors call "sludge"-it is not gallstones, but it is a thickening of the bile, or an over production of bile, which can cause yellow stools. The thing that causes overproduction of bile can be diet and smoking, but also just being stressed. Ask your doctor about this.

I want you to just take thibngs easy. t occurs to me as you just quit smoking too, then you are probably edgy due to that and may need a patch to help you overcome that edginess.

I hope your stomach is calming down on the 30mg. If you see no improvement your doctor can raise it for two weeks to 2 x a day.

Love Anne C
  9. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi Faye,

I sure hope that I did not do anything that made you delete your post.

I am sorry that you thought you did not belong here.

You do have esophigitis, as I do too. So your thoughts are appreciated.

And I was just trying to tell you I thought it would be a good idea for your Doctor to look down there and see how bad your esophigitis is because you said your recovery is slow.

But heck, what do I know.

I seen where someone else mentioned gastroparesis on here. I hope that it was cured.

And I also hope that you are doing well with your diabetes. (Taking great care of yourself)!!!

Yes, Anne C. is a very knowledgeable person. She has responded to a lot of my posts. She is a very good person with a lot of knowledge.

I agree with her about trying to eat a bland type diet to try to help heal the esophigitis.

You do everything that you can to take care of yourself!!! :)

Especially with that Diabetes.

About Anne C making a good Moderator. Maybe you can title a post called MODERATOR, I am sure they would answer that post. I too believe that we need Moderators that are very knowledgeable as they would be great assets!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  10. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi Anne C.

I am real sorry about that. I just wanted to let you know that the Doc. wrote on his report that the Duodemun looked OK. So I was not really sure where the esophigits and gastritis was located at.

Which in turn, got me worried again, because of the under the rib cage pain. I understand now! Thank you for clarifying.

See, I didn't use the internet to go searching for the answers. Already improving..... LOL

I sure hope that me quitting smoking will clear up these problems.

I had a ultrasound, CT and Hida-Scan back in late 2004 and they found nothing wrong with the gallbladder. I am not sure if sludge would show up on any of these tests.

You really hit on a point with me mentioning the stress and the bowels turning yellowish/orange. And just maybe a connection to all of this. I will be sure to let my Doctor know about all of this.

One more thing I wanted to let you know, I am using the patch to quit smoking. I knew I could not make it thru because I have Panic Disorder. I did also want to let you know in the past, I quit for 5 years cold turkey no problem.

I guess what is making me edgy and afraid is so many problems are arising right now. I am trying to improve myself, which is why I quit smoking.

I am very sorry if I came across to you as being anything other than someone looking for advice.

Well do with the Prevacid. I have not started taking it yet though, since my Colonoscopy is tomorrow. I have to start fasting in one hour and start drinking that junk.

There drops the weight again!!

Love and hugs to you Anne C.
    Thank you so much for helping me.
    Brenda

P.S. It would be nice to have you as a moderator!! You know a lot of things!!
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Brenda,
    The gastroparesis for me is nerve damage from diabetes and is a life long condition.

My slow healing on the GERD could be due to having diabetes. Diabetics have a tendency to be slow to heal, so I need to wait a bit longer. The info I have received said it would take 4 to 8 weeks. So, I'm not yet to a week yet. I think I'm just expecting too much, too fast.

Hope you feel better too. And yes, I certain will post about Anne being a great choice for a moderator for us.

Hugs,
    Faye
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Honestly, no need to apologise for anything. I am always glad to help you. I know how scared I was when I first had this and wish I had gotten some answers then.

You are right the sludge does not show up on those scans. I had a doctor friend who had this condition herself who told me about it.

My DH quit smoking (3 packs a day for many years) using the patch. He has been smoke free for 14 years or more now.

Do post me directly after your colonoscopy.

Big Hugs, I am flattered you think I would make a good moderator. I did do training as a mediator once and always liked the role.

Much Love and hug and be nice to YOU and you have just not one thing to ever say you are sorry to me about, I find it interesting answering your queries. Glad you are keeping of the horror story web sites!!!!

Love Anne C