Crying, Senior German Shepherd Died

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by findmind, Jul 30, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

Today I came home from a grson's b'day party, and our 13 y.o. dog had died while we were gone.

She had to have a toe amputated 3 weeks ago, and we have killed ourselves taking care of her. This a.m. she woud not eat;we thought it was the antibiotic making her nauseous.

We had to go 50 miles to daughter's, got home 5 hrs later, and she was lying on floor by door, dead.

We collapsed next to her and cried until we were past exhausted and feeling so very sick, trauma is so hard to deal with with any chronic illness.

Of course, its Sunday and no one available to help us on far outskirts of city. So we are waiting with her until tomorrow, to make arrangements for her.

She was huge and golden, brave and loving. She went to nursing homes and they adored her.

We knew she didn't have long, she's so old, but to have her go like this, with her buddy, another shepherd alone with her, is so sad.

How we love these spirits that come to us. We found her wandering and starving, 9 years ago, and could not find her owner anywhere.

I feel so sad. My chest is so heavy and the costochondritis is very bad right now. Thank you for listening, I needed you.

findmind
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Sorry about your pet passing over. I know it makes it harder to know you weren't there. Her time was over and now she is in a better place and not in pain. You'll see her again one day.

I often think of my pets who have passed on and it is hard, but we all have the good memories and hopefully they do too. ;-)

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

i know the love for a pet can be just as strong as the love we feel for our children...

hugs and prayers for you
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave her a wonderful life.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

findmind .. we are also dealing with the death of our precious furry soul .. Molly(our lioness cat .. she was our protector through every move we had to make in the military .. chased housekeeping out of our hotel rooms because they invaded our space and touched thngs) she was going on 14 this year ..

She became ill after Xmas .. it started out slowly .. and got worse and worse over the months .. she had every test possible .. we changed vet/clinics .. we did everything and anything to help her .. she was on steroids and we had so much hope it would help.

It didn't work .. she lost so much weight and was so miserable (yet loving us all the while) .. we had to put her to sleep last Monday .. my husband and I were both with her .. our young vet was very gentle and assuring .. but we both cried .. over come with such grief ..

The ache is not going to go away .. it will lessen in time I hope .. but we love them so much it tears a piece of our heart out when they die. we were so lucky to have had her.
    I'm sorry for your loss .. I'm in that place too. You aren't alone.

Joy
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

what a shock for you. I lost my old 18 year old cat a few months ago and still grieve for her.

Your pet had a good, loving home and she knew it. It's taken me months to stop crying but now I can think of my sweet love and take comfort in the good times we shared.

Your other wee dog will miss her so much too.

love
    Rosie
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

My heart aches for you. That's all I can say as tears run down my face.

Marta
  8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I depend so much on my dog now to protect me and love me and to lick away tears at times. They are family and definitely more loyal than most family members.

We just lost my son's dog that was 14 years of age a few weeks ago. It may have been "his dog" but she stayed with us and was the boss and meant everything to my 2 year old Lab.We were not shocked like you because we had to put her to sleep. She no longer could get down two steps to go to the bathroom and she was in so much pain with arthritis. We had to let her go. We kept her too long because we were being selfish. But we were prepared as best as you can be for such a loss. I can not imagine how you must hurt. We had the chance to say goodbye and thank you to her for taking care of us for as long as she could.

My heart goes out to you and to your other dog. My baby, the Lab, was lost and was grieving terribly. It hurt and we did not know if we were doing the right thing but we adopted a dog from the Humane Society for him. That is a process we are dealing with now...the proper introduction of a strange dog.

9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

sorry about your dog
  10. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Findmind,

Oh sweetie, I AM SO SORRY to hear of your baby passing.
    I haven't had a loss like that in many years, but I remember what it was like - horrible.

I can't imagine my life without my baby, my cockatoo. He's more than just a pet. They all become that way don't they?

Hugs for you! You'll be in my thought and prayers.

Love,
    "E"
  11. toughone

toughone New Member

Dear Findmind,

I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart is with you. Over the past 4 years, we have rescued 3 chihuahuas and a mini dachsund. Now they rescue me everyday. Along with our 10 year old yellow lab, they make us a family of 9. Know that we all feel your loss and wish you happy days ahead...

Toughone
  12. kbak

kbak Member

findmind,
    Oh lord, it's so hard to lose our furry family member's. I'm so sorry. I know first hand how difficult that is. I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that we share your grief.

kbak
  13. sascha

sascha Member

i had a large black German Shepherd for over 12 years. my son and i had a meltdown when she died. a vet had to euthanize her becauase she had cancer and suddenly started having terrible problems- just collapsed. i just grieved and grieved. i miss her still. she was my constant companion for all those years.

when i got salmonella poisoning and was despereately ill for quite a time, she got up on the sofa and lay behind me, and it was such a comfort. when i drove west to the coast and took her down to the Pacific ocean for the first time it was so funny. she had no idea what to do; which direction to run. i have pictures of it.

but we wouldn't trade any of it- right? i value the time i and my dog were together so much. i sure get how hard it is.
    best wishes- sascha
  14. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I very recently lost my 17-year-old kitty. She meant the world to me. She passed away while we were gone and that hurt even worse.

Remember the good times.

Linda
  15. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Oh I am cryimng too, how awful for you. Sounds as if she may have had a sudden cardiac arrest and has gone very quickly, no pain. I bet the buddy helped her too, they do.

That is a good age for her breed but sorry she had to suffer with the toe. She could have been even older too.

I lost both my dogs last year and I am just aching for you. In Petsmart today I saw they sell memorial plaques for our dogs there and that made me cry thinking of my own.

We had ours cremated, but I still weep for them.

God bless you. I feel your pain so badly. She knew how loved she was and had a wonderful 9 years with you.

Many hugs and love Anne Cromwell
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2006]
  16. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

findmind:

Yes, cry and mourn all you need to. It sounds like your
    baby was good to your whole family and was part of the family.

Let it out.

Just a suggestion.

nyrofan
  17. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

You have my deepest sympathies.

We lost our Sugar in February, after being a part of our family for her entire 10 years. She was healthy and happy and we adored her. One day she got very sick and we went to the vet. He gave her shots and meds and sent her home. She improved for a couple of days and took a turn for the worse on SAturday night. We took her to the emergency vet and left her what they assured us would be a few hours. They thought she would be fine. She died suddenly, there in a strange place without us. The guilt nearly killed me.

Take care of yourself and try to remember the good times with your baby!

Love
    Sylvia
  18. findmind

findmind New Member

all these responses.

My DP and I are sitting here crying together over them.

I will try later to say more. We are so very sad I can't hardly type this.

So much pain, and so much love for you all. Thank you...

findmind
  19. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I hope you find some small easing of your pain with these letters.Linda
  20. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I am sooooo sorry to hear of this what an aweful this to happen, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care of yourself.

Ann