Curcurmin (Tumeric) inhibits EpsteinBarr

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AllWXRider, Jan 19, 2007.

1. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

"The present results confirm our previous finding that curcumin is an effective agent for inhibition of EBV reactivation in Raji DR-CAT cells (carrying DR-dependent chloramphenicol acetyltransferase), and they show for the first time that curcumin inhibits EBV reactivation mainly through inhibition of BZLF1 gene transcription."
    www.pubmed.gov search for curcurmin + epstein-barr

Its a common ingredient in Curry powders and prepared mustard. ProHealth also has it in capsules.
  2. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

My daughters and I like Indian food and frequent a restaurant not too far from our home. Curry has a lot of tumeric and other spices. Sometimes it's so strong my nose is running, and I'm stuffing in the flat bread to stop the burning. I figure it must be doing something good.

It is also implicated in avoiding Alzheimers. Very few Asian Indians get Alzheimers compared to others.

CherylSue
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I wish it were Chinese food and not Indian. We have 5 Chinese restaurants and not a single Indian!

Hey, if you are ready here are a couple of supplements to try.

Mitochondria Ignite with NT Factor. A top seller here. I take one capsule 3 times a day. It is one of my new favorite things.

And I started the D-ribose yesterday. I know everyone knows about it. I bought some at the conference from CORvalen. Kinda early to tell and I will be adding the CoQ10 in a week or so.

On the Mito. Ingite. I started have sensations of feeling "normal". But when it wears off, it wears off.

Spacee
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yup, my doctor had me take Turmeric, 3 times a day to put my Epstein Barr Virus in remission.

I also had a friend visit us at our summer campground 2 summers ago, and her son, around 11 or 12, had warts on his feet that his doctor had been treating for MONTHS.

Well, I had NEVER read that it would help warts. But, I had been prescribed it by my doc to keep my Epstein Barr (MONO) in remission. And, EBV is a Herpes Virus. So, when she was talking about her sons' warts, doctor using this and that, blah, blah, blah. So I thought, yeah warts are pretty persistent, but so is a Herpes Virus. If Turmeric can put Herpes Virus in remission, I bet it could the virus that causes warts.

I had her son take 1 capsule, 3 times a day. The warts (plural!) were gone in 3 days. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. But 6 months of other treatments failed to get rid of his warts. Turmeric did it in 3 DAYS !

[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2007]
  5. spacee

spacee Member

Thanks for sharing that!!!!

Spacee
  6. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Elliespad: Did the tumeric get rid of your Epstein Barr? Are you much better now?

I purchased curry powder at the grocery store. Add in soups, stews, etc. instead of salt. I also add tumeric to my rice.

I think I read somewhere that too much is hard on the gallbladder. Need to verify that.

CherylSue
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

The doctor that treated me with Turmeric also had me on maybe 20 other things, each for a specific treatment. Yes, the Turmeric (seemingly) got rid of the mono-type symptoms. I have never had a sore throat, achy jaw/teeth, sinusitis, ear infeciton, since he treated me. That achy, poisoned, flu-like feeling, where your eyes feel sick and your headache affects your mood, all gone. I have never been able to get rid of my weakness, and that is my greatest disability.
  8. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I'm sorry to hear about your weakness, but I'm glad the malaise is gone. I hope you are gradually regaining strength again.

Thanks for sharing the info about tumeric, etc.

Hugs,
    CherylSue
  9. Ales

Ales New Member

I started to eat curcuma-the spice in which the yellow curcumin is contained due to the efficacy of curcumin to inhibit interleukin 8. Intereukin 8 is a proinflammatory cytokine that was found high in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with CFS in one study in patients with sudden flu-like onset of the disease. The taste of the spice is quiet bad so I had to drink water during swallowing it. Give it a try. Curcuma is cheap.
  10. u34rb

u34rb New Member

What is the recommended dose of tumeric for treating EBV? Would it make any difference if it were cooked compared with the raw powder? And what about just chewing the raw root? Anyone any ideas?
  11. elliespad

elliespad Member

My doc had me take Turmeric (the HERB not the spice) 1 capsule, 3 times a day. That is the same dose I had my friends' son take for the warts. It is available at any health food store for under $10. I don't know if using the spice would be the same.
  12. u34rb

u34rb New Member

ELLIESPAD,

That's interesting, I had always thought of tumeric 'root' in curry. But why not the rest of the plant?

How many capsules do you get for USD 10, and are there any other active ingredients?

Do you think that the powder made from the root would work the same, raw or cooked?
  13. Ales

Ales New Member

Curcumin capsules aren't available in my country, so I swallowed the powder from the yellow root of the plant. I took an amount equivalent to about 50 teaspoons a day for more than two months. I had some feeling of improvement but nothing dramatic. There may be a potential danger to the liver like with any spice.
  14. u34rb

u34rb New Member

Ales,

You say that you had no improvement, but did you have Epstein Barr Virus at the time?
  15. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

How long did you take tumeric before you saw improvement? Are you still on it?

Thanks,

CherylSue
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I buy it loose and add it to rice, stew etc. I make my own curries all the time. I will start adding MORE Turmeric as it also makes me feel good. Thanks for the info. I have reemergent EBV.

LOve Annie Cromwell
  17. elliespad

elliespad Member

I really dn't remember how long it was until I felt the fluey, sorethroat, blah, blah, blah symptoms go away. It was 4 or 5 years ago, but I do remember I stayed true to his plan for at least 6 months, so it was DEFINATLEY less than that. I'm thinking it was MUCH less than 6 months. But, I never got an improvement in strength, endurance, energy. I am TRUELY grateful to not FEEL sick, poisoned, infected everyday, it was hell.

That doctor helped me with a LOT of things. I also credit the Turmeric with getting rid of my Vertigo. I had TERRIBLE vertigo several times a year, that would last for weeks, or months. I have read VERTIGO can be caused by herpes viruses including CMV. I credit the Turmeric for getting rid of it, Hopefully, never to return. It, too, was hell.
  18. Ales

Ales New Member

At the time I took curcumin I had no longer active EBV. I had active EBV many years in the past but not now. I took it because of its possible effect of supressing the IL-8.
  19. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Anyone else have success stories on this?

Thanks,
    Cherylsue
  20. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I've been taking it for a few months. I take other supplements also. So I don't know what it is doing for me. I feel a whole lot better than I did this time last year.